View Full Version : Shall I move from O2?

chagle
1st June 2006, 10:49 PM
Hi All,

Thinking about making a move onto a different network. I am with O2 and waiting for the N80 to be released...

I like to the look at the Flext tarrifs. Has anyone here been with O2 and now with T-Mobile -- Are you happier with them? :-)

Glen.

Ben
1st June 2006, 10:52 PM
I think you'll find that all of the networks in the UK offer similar levels of service now. You'll always find people who are happy and unhappy on each.

T-Mobile have a great range of tariffs currently, but there's still no sign of them releasing the N80.

Vodafone and Orange both have the N80 now. I'm on both networks, but prefer Vodafone for their coverage and Live! content.

chagle
1st June 2006, 11:02 PM
From what I have seen on Vodafone's handsets is they tend to overbrand their phones. At least the 3-4 I've seen seem to all have the same ICONS/GUI if you like...

Do they do that with the newer Nokia eg. 6280?

Glen.

@NickyColman
1st June 2006, 11:09 PM
Ive been with O2, which i always seem to go back to due to the amount of texts you get with their online plans. However, ive recently switched to -T-Mobile on Flext with Web'N'Walk. Im very impressed. Great value tarrifs, great coverage with 2G and 3G, and perfect service. Their handset range is quite poor at the moment. But if you find a phone you like on -T-Mobile and get it on Flext then you cant go wrong.

:D

chagle
1st June 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Bluebean,

I love having 500 text a month with O2 Online. But I also like the idea of the Flext mix and match. It seems perfect, I should imagine I don't use all my 500 text with O2... so I like the idea of having extra minutes with what I don't use on text, voila - Flext!

Mmm, anyone know if the N80 is due to release on T-mobile. If it's too long might get the 6280.

A friend of mine has the 6280 and loves it... anyone else like this handset? They seem to be very popular.

Glen. :-)

@NickyColman
1st June 2006, 11:27 PM
Ive got the 6280 and i find it perfect. It does everything you need and want. And it looks good. You cant go wrong.

chagle
1st June 2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks for that.

I see there website doesn't say anything about Web'N'Walk on the 6280 - but I assume you can get Web'N'Walk for the 6280....?

:)

Glen.

Hands0n
2nd June 2006, 12:13 AM
Like Bleubean I have also opted for a T-Mobile 6280 with Flext 35 + Web 'N Walk.

Officially you cannot get Web 'N Walk on the 6280, yet. However, you can get it in-store if they are willing to juggle things around a bit. What happened for me is that the [genuine] T-Mobile store (not a franchise or solus dealer) issued me with an N70 at point of sale. Then they took it back from me as a transfer of handset ('cos I didn't like the ickle little buttons on the N70, it said on the form) and issued me with a 6280. Voila, problem solved. The sales kiddie couldn't do it, but the shop manager figured it out.

The 6280 handset is a fine piece of kit, and with the V03.60 firmware works just fine and dandy. Earlier firmwares on the 6280 were buggy. There may be a later version on the current 6280 issue, but I find what I have works 100%.

T-Mobile PCN 1800MHz network coverage is always being slated by the GSM purists. Ignore them. It is good and comprehensive. Their 3G signals are getting increasingly widespread too.

In lieu of Web 'N Walk being fully operational on the 6280, T-Mobile allow you to use your "unlimited" allowance on the handset's native browser to access the web and T-Zones. Its not pretty! But you can load up Opera Mini (there is another thread about this on the forum) and access the WWW unfettered until T-Mobile's own WNW browser (Opera Mini no less!) is released into production use.

I, like bleaubean, think you won't go far wrong with the 6280 with Flext + Web 'N Walk. But for sure, the 6280 is not the N80 by any stretch :D If you really want what the N80 offers you may be disappointed with anything lesser.

chagle
2nd June 2006, 12:21 AM
Hi HandsOn....

Thanks for much for the post - it's helped a lot to convince what I am think i.e. moving will be the best thing for me.

With regards to the 6280 over the N80 - I fear the N80 will be too expensive at this time and just last night I had a play with a friends 6280 (on T-Mobile) and it certainly is a great handset... didn't have too much time to play with it but from what I saw it will do everything I want from a handset.

Watch this space.. I feel a move coming on. Still got 5 months left on my O2 Online contract but it's only 15 quid a month, so would be quite happy to move to T-mobile then cancel the O2 contract when it's up.

:-)

GLen.

Hands0n
2nd June 2006, 08:18 PM
:) You'll have to let us know how you feel about your 6280 when you get your hands on it.

With Web N Walk data available to you there are things like Google Maps that Ben has recently mentioned, and that work on the 6280. I've already mentioned Opera Mini - there is a full link by me in a post elsewhere in T3G - but that will [probably] become unnecessary once WNW is released on the 6280 (soon according to T-Mobile who've given up suggesting dates :eek: ).

chagle
3rd June 2006, 07:58 AM
Will do. I've had the last couple of Samsung Dxxx (D500 & D600) and must confess beautiful phones with a logical menuing system.

But I have played with a friends 6280 and like some of the features and the menus seem very 'clean'.

So will post my thoughts on the new network and phone when I've gone over! :-)

Glen.