View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a phone please?

Libragirl
14th April 2005, 02:36 PM
Hiya,

I'm with Three and I've currently got an NEC E616. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to a Motorola E1000 but I'm a bit of a txt addict and don't like some of the SMS features on this phone For example, when it goes onto powersave mode, if you're at work or somewhere where you're not looking at the phone often, it doesn't show if you have received a text or missed call. Also it doesn't tell you automatically when a txt runs into 2 messages and you can't seem to have delivery reports on all the time, you have to switch it on every time you send a text. Plus it only saved around 45 txts in the inbox & 45 in the outbox and I've got over 500 saved in my NEC!!

So here's what I'm looking for, a smallish, girlie phone with bluetooth, decent camera & large txt storage! :confused:
I don't think it's that much to ask but I can't seem to find one!! The Sumsung SGH D500 and Sony Ericsson K700i are the best ones I've seen so far. And I love the look of the pink V800 but it hasn't got many features!

If anyone can recommend a phone they think I'd like, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks x

3g-g
14th April 2005, 05:03 PM
Hi Libragirl,

It's really dependent on what you're going to have to spend, and also if you want to be PAYG or stuck to a contract.

I think if you're looking for a "small girlie" phone then you're on the right lines with the ones you've stated, I also think it would have to be a 2G handset you bought. I'm sure Ben will advise that you buy a Nokia 6680, (a superb little 3G handset) but do you have £400 to buy it SIM free or are you willing to take up a Vodafone contract now they've released it?

The Samsung E720 is a nice phone, has a good camera and a MP3 player, however it lacks bluetooth.

The Nokia 6230 is quite a nice phone also, I know a few people with that, and funilly enough they're girls. The camera isn't as good as some, but for the kind of pictures you're likely to take I think it would do you. Another Nokia you may like, again one that a female friend of mine has bought is the Nokia 6170, a flip style handset with loads of features except Bluetooth again, I think.

The Samsung D500 and SE K700i are great, if I was to pick myself I'd probably choose the Samsung.

The best advice I can give is go into one of the retailers shops, get them to bring out all the handsets you want to see and have a muck about with them.

Hope this helps you out.

Pop back and let us know what you end up going for.

I won't leave a kiss at the end of mine ;)

Ben
14th April 2005, 05:25 PM
The Sony Ericsson V800 on Vodafone isn't too expensive now, and it's a lot more powerful than you might think. It was best 3G handset at 3GSM! The 6680 is fantastic but not very girly - there's a review + pics in the Nokia section. Otherwise, check out the little Samsung Z107 or LG U8150 on Orange (http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handsets/all/all/3g).

O2 also have their little 3G X4 that you could play with.

Best advice I can give you is get down to your local highstreet and get playing! O2, Vodafone, Orange and Threepoint (+ the multiples) should all have a good range of 3G phones for you to play with.

If you're looking for 2G, you can't go wrong with the D500 at the present time, or the Nokia 6230 (or 6230i with megapixel camera due out any day now).

Thread moved to General 3G Discussion.

Libragirl
14th April 2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

I've kept my contract with 3 cos their deals are by far the cheapest so I need a phone that will work on that network. I'm thinking about selling the E1000 & using the money from that to buy another phone PAYG & just putting my chip in it but apparently the 2G phones won't work on the 3G network or something? :confused: Is that right? Sorry I'm not very technically minded!!

I've just had a look at the Ericsson T630, would that work with my 3 chip in do you know?

x

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 06:45 PM
I had a V800 and it was brill. loads of storage

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

I've just had a look at the Ericsson T630, would that work with my 3 chip in do you know?

x

To be honest

First you need a 3G phone if you wana use the 3G features of 3 and aslong as its unlocked then any phone would work. Just make sure its unlocked..

BTW

the T630 is not 3G, so if you wana use the 3G side of 3 then dont get it. The V800 is a far better phone

Libragirl
14th April 2005, 06:58 PM
I know I'm sounding really thick here but what exactly are the 3G features?? Video calling I guess (which I don't use so that wouldn't matter). What else?

Sorry for being dumb (I am blonde if u hadn't already guessed lol)!!

Ben
14th April 2005, 07:04 PM
Three UK USIMs can only be used in 3G handsets - in some cases only handsets retailed by Three UK.

Three UK are very strict about where you can use your USIM card. This is because they don't have their own 2G network - they have to share O2's. When you're on 2G mode it costs them more money, so they want to ensure you have a 3G capable phone to minimise on their costs. O2's network is full, after all - Three UK's has bags of capacity and that's why they're so cheap.

If you like NEC's, try the 338 on Threepay (http://www.three.co.uk/handsets/handsetoverview.omp?subleft=1&header=THREEPAY&cid=1096963176696) - you can take out the Threepay USIM (and sell it, if you like) and put in your contract USIM. Should work fine! It's a lot slimmer than your e616 was.

Hope that helps!
Ben

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 07:05 PM
3G features are the video downloads (like football, music and news downloads)

If you are not bothered about using them, then go for any phone.

I have never done a video call, dont know anyone with a 3G phone.

BTW

Totally different subject
The reason you cant view the private msgs when you get one

You have service pack 2 on your computer or a pop up blocker and it blocks pop ups. You need to allow pop ups for this site or go to you account and you can view them from their.

Update your profile and tell us a bit about yourself and also how did you find the site

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 07:07 PM
Three UK USIMs can only be used in 3G handsets - in some cases only handsets retailed by Three UK.

Three UK are very strict about where you can use your USIM card. This is because they don't have their own 2G network - they have to share O2's. When you're on 2G mode it costs them more money, so they want to ensure you have a 3G capable phone to minimise on their costs. O2's network is full, after all - Three UK's has bags of capacity and that's why they're so cheap.

If you like NEC's, try the 338 on Threepay (http://www.three.co.uk/handsets/handsetoverview.omp?subleft=1&header=THREEPAY&cid=1096963176696) - you can take out the Threepay USIM (and sell it, if you like) and put in your contract USIM. Should work fine! It's a lot slimmer than your e616 was.

Hope that helps!
Ben

Cheers ben

Didnt know that

Ben
14th April 2005, 07:08 PM
"If you are not bothered about using them, then go for any phone."

Remember, this wont work. You *need* to use a 3G phone, preferably one sold by Three UK.

Edit: No prob Jon3G :D

Edit: To view your private messages, try here (https://talk3g.co.uk/private.php?).

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 07:13 PM
Dont you just hate when you post at the same time as someone else

Hands0n
14th April 2005, 10:31 PM
The NEC E338 does not have Bluetooth nor does it have a "decent camera" - its an okay camera though, but not up to the E1000 or some of the more megapixel stylee cameras being fitted these days.

Libragirl
16th April 2005, 12:51 PM
OK thanks a lot for all the advice everyone. :)

Three have just started doing the new Nokia 6680 so I'm probably going to go for that.

Ben
16th April 2005, 02:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Three have just started doing the Nokia 6630 via the Carphone Warehouse. I don't *think* any UK networks are retailing the 6680 yet. It's worth holding out for, mind.

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 03:12 PM
3 and Nokia 6680, that would really help them out

Libragirl
18th April 2005, 05:19 PM
Yes sorry meant 6630 - getting it from Carphone Warehouse tomorrow for free!! :D

Ben
18th April 2005, 05:32 PM
Congratulations! Come back and give us the lowdown, would love to hear what the 6630 is like on Three :)

Libragirl
9th May 2005, 02:07 PM
Hey guys,

Didn't end up getting the 6630, waited for the 6680 to come out on Three and got it last Thurs!!

It's great, I really like it! The only problem I've had so far are that it's restarted itself a couple of times in the middle of using stuff, which is what my NEC used to do and is a bit annoying! Apart from that it's excellent and was well worth waiting for!

Ben
9th May 2005, 02:09 PM
Hmm, if it's rebooting you might want to get it swapped ASAP - I've heard of the Three version of the 6680 rebooting itself on other forums too. That's network branding for you!

Glad you like it though, it truly is an excellent phone! The face of 3G is a very different one with the 6680 on the shelves.