View Full Version : help please - emergency service on my z500 ??

bluenose3
14th June 2006, 09:36 PM
hello all,
my z500 is now displaying 'emergency service' on my screen and I cannot recieve call or texts..its not displaying anything - not even 'orange' which is who my phone is with....whats wrong as I havent changed anything settings wise ??

thanks

Hands0n
14th June 2006, 09:44 PM
Have you tried checking your account with Orange CS to make sure you've not been deleted or barred in error?

It could well be a problem with the SIM. I hate to suggest this but you could first try taking the SIM out and cleaning the contacts with either a clean dry cloth (sounds like a 3 CS rep now) or even better still with a clean pencil rubber tip. Also take a mo to wipe the SIM contacts in the handset also.

When a handset goes into Emergency Service or Emergency Calls Only it is usually that the SIM is either unregistered/de-registered for some reason or the SIM has died. Othwise it could be the handset itself has developed a fault.

bluenose3
14th June 2006, 10:16 PM
just took the sim out, gave it a wipe and a clean as well as the phone itself and put it back together and its working fine !
thanks for that.

Hands0n
14th June 2006, 11:04 PM
Excellent! I was quite embarrassed giving out the advice that 3 CS normally does for all and sundry handset faults :D But I'm glad it worked in your case, it did rather seem to be the area at fault.

3g-g
14th June 2006, 11:05 PM
I tell ya, Three CS musta had something for all those years... And you're begining to sound like my IT help desk Hands0n: "have you tried turning it off then on again?"

Hands0n
14th June 2006, 11:14 PM
Ah, don't knock that last bit of advice 3g-g. In my days of running an IT support team for an American bank that was often the solution to the problem :D That and "Have you checked that it is plugged in".

Anecdote: AS/400 not responding to the network. The AS/400 team did everything including re-loading the OS on the advice of IBM. I walked in to the computer suite late in the afternoon where their Super was tearing out his hair by the roots in frustration. "Is it plugged into the network port" I asked. "Of course it *****king is" spluttered Mr Supv. I ambled round to the back of the AS/400, bent over, picked up a little grey cable and asked "What is this cable for then?" The response is completely unprintable in a public forum!! A minute or two later the AS/400 was back in full production.

That is why I used to have a banner on the wall behind my desk that said KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid :p

Eeeee, the curse of age ....... is being able to recount tales like that ;)

chagle
14th June 2006, 11:17 PM
Hands0n - IBM?? - AS/400?? I work for them! :-) (IBM that is!!)

Your scenario, well I've been there tooooooooooo many times as I work in support! Jez, the stories....