View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 8: Conclusions

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:00 AM
Conclusions:

While I’d like it if the rear cover was a bit sturdier, if the forward facing camera was as good as the rear one and if the whole thing could be squeezed into something the size of my fingernail, this handset is undoubtedly a winner. The form factor is just so much more satisfying than the 6630 that I actually think it will appeal to 6630 owners after all – even though I previously thought it wouldn’t. The size isn’t too far off the 7610 as showin in section 7 (don't ask), and I think that’s real progress. It’s just a shame that the slider makes the top end of the phone so much thicker than the bottom.

The keypad and chrome detailing just has to be loved. The ingenuity of the rear slider, both protecting the lens, operating the camera and hiding the ugly (yes, they are ugly, on all phones) flash component, makes for blissful handling. The light sensor (a somewhat standard Nokia feature) gives impressive and automatic backlight and keypad light adjustment so you can always see what you’re doing.

For me this phone has been a breath of fresh air and I haven’t been disappointed. Yes, I forked out money for this, and yes I’m sure I will find more faults and bugs in the future, but I wholeheartedly recommend that you take this phone for a test drive and see for yourself that I haven’t exaggerated my comments here. Nokia may have been one of the slowest into the 3G phone race, but they’re the first manufacturer to have produced what I can safely proclaim a real 3G phone.

@NickyColman
15th April 2005, 12:34 PM
That was a great review Ben, so much so that im actually considering getting one!! ARRRGGGH!!!

Ben
15th April 2005, 12:55 PM
I honestly don't think you'd regret it! It's going to be some race to see which network starts selling their branded version first - especially since it sounds like Orange is pulling away due to 'software issues'. In that respect I'm so, so glad I bought it SIM-Free - having the original software on doesn't appear to have caused any problems so far.

In comparison to my 4th gen Orange Z1010, the SIM-Free 6680 is far far more stable. That's quite an achievement considering the 6680 is about a million times more powerful :p If the networks, especially Orange, managed to blur the 6680's launch by messing up the software, just like the initial 6630, then it'll be a sad day for 3G.

jonstatt
16th April 2005, 08:30 AM
Excellent review. I have been waiting and waiting for this handset from Orange, and it keeps moving out. I would consider a generic handset instead, but as I use Orange line2, its always a lottery with Nokia phones if its enabled and working or not.

Jonathan

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 10:01 AM
Really good review. Never got any thing like this at my previous forum.

Cant wait for the phone it looks amazing

Ben
16th April 2005, 02:57 PM

I don't have Line2, but the 6680 allows you to specify:
Ringing tone, line 1
Ringing tone, line 2
so, my immediate assumption is that it supports this feature. I have no way of verifying that, unfortunately.

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 03:15 PM
Were did you get yours from

Ben
16th April 2005, 03:17 PM
See this thread (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=204) - LoL, you've even posted on it ;) I wont recommend them, but if anyone wants to give them a try then that's their decision. Put it like this - I got the phone, and it works.

jonstatt
16th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Ah good. Generic Nokia's with line 2 enabled show the menus even if you do not subscribe to the line 2 service. However, Orange Nokia's only display the menus if you subscribe. Nevertheless it looks like a generic one will work....so big dilemna now....buy now...wait forever for Orange...buy now...wait forever for Orange...hmmm..decisions decisions.

Jonathan

I don't have Line2, but the 6680 allows you to specify:
Ringing tone, line 1
Ringing tone, line 2
so, my immediate assumption is that it supports this feature. I have no way of verifying that, unfortunately.

Ben
17th April 2005, 04:13 PM
Ok, I've been trying various media players over the last few days with the hope of being able to stream from Orange World again. I can download from Vodafone Live! but not stream - Orange World does bugger all :)

It appears that RealPlayer is heavily integrated with the 6680 to the point that it is not listed on the Applications Manager and therefore cannot be automatically uninstalled. If Orange are indeed trying to rip RealPlayer kicking and screaming from the 6680 and replace it with pvplayer (for which no 6680 compatible version seems to be available at the current time) then god help them.

RealPlayer supports a world of formats... why the hell don't the portals support it?

delinquentwoody
18th April 2005, 03:44 PM
Great review ben, im now convinced that this is the phone for me! Keep us updated over the long term use of the phone, any bugs/problems that may arise. I'm still waiting for the Orange version to come out as I can't afford a sim free handset right now!

alvinsue
18th April 2005, 05:21 PM
Excellent review ben. I totally agree that this is the First real 3g phone. (or second, the first one is Sony Eric V800, which, however is not a 'smartphone')

Actually what I think that the 6680 can be improved is its 'application memeory'. Why not increase it, say, to 32mb or even 64mb, so that the phone will never(maybe) be out of memory. :cool:

Ben
18th April 2005, 05:36 PM
...and that's a very good point. This phone would benefit no end from having some extra onboard memory, as would many Nokias. Luckily you can set up almost everything to use the Memory Card storage, but there's really no excuse for 10mb memory on a smartphone.

Still, as the memory card memory functions so well (it's a bit like having a second hard drive in your PC - you can install to it, save to it etc etc) it hasn't caused me any issues to date... but you can be sure I'll make a song and dance about it if it does! ;)

Ben
20th April 2005, 12:15 AM
It randomly rebooted tonight. I wasn't doing anything to it, but I think it was trying to check for new email. For whatever reason it couldn't connect to the access point on Orange - the notification that automatic retrieval had been disabled came when the phone turned back on.

So, not entirely sure what happened there, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. I've had the phone for over a week now so I doubt it's a major issue... watch this space.

mattyboy7110
21st April 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm having problems streaming video from Vodafone on my 6680 - is the streaming the same as the 6630 using RealPlayer? If so, does anybody have the settings?

Thanks

Ben
21st April 2005, 05:35 PM
It doesn't work on mine either, and Jon3G says it doesn't work on his Vodafone-branded 6630 - so I don't hold out much hope to be honest. Downloading videos works fine on Vodafone though, with playback through RealPlayer. You might find Vodafone CS helpful as the handset has been expected for a while now - give them a bell and report back if you could.

mattyboy7110
18th May 2005, 12:44 AM
I think the streaming on Vodafone is now working - I'm not in 3G coverage at home but I'm no longer getting the error message and it went into Realplayer!

Seems the problem was at Vodafones side? At least I won't need to get my software reflashed to fix it now!