View Full Version : HTC launches the world's first Windows 3G phones

Ben
16th June 2006, 03:25 AM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/15/htc_3g_phones/

Excuse me just a moment... *yawn* That's better. Does anyone else find HTC's products repeatedly uninspiring? Make us something we can get our teeth into, HTC!

A clip from the article:

The two new models are claimed to be the world's first tri-band 3G Windows Mobile Pocket PC (the TyTN) and 3G Smartphone (that's the MTeoR). Those model names are a bit grisly, but they're perfectly in keeping with the company name as HTC stands for High Tech Computer, so it's clear that Titan and Meteor would have been too easy on my spell check.

The HTC TyTN is a Tri-band UMTS 3G model with GSM, GPRS, EDGE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a mini-USB port. It features Direct Push email with Windows Mobile 5.0, internet browsing, synchronisation with Microsoft Outlook Calendar, Contacts and email, and the ability to work on applications in the Microsoft Office suite such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as viewing PDF documents.

TyTN comes equipped with a slide-out, ergonomic QWERTY keyboard and 2.8 inch colour display with touch-screen. It also features a jog wheel for easy, one-hand operation. There's a micro SD card for storage as well as a two Megapixel camera with macro mode, on-screen controls and DSC (Digital Still Camera) functionality, plus a second camera for video telephony. Available in black and silver, the TyTN weighs 180g.

The HTC MTeoR, the world's first 3G Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone, is a candybar design that measures 112.4 x 49 x 14.8mm and weighs 120g, which is very similar to the C600 that HTC manufactures for Orange. It features Windows Mobile 5.0 Direct Push technology for immediate synchronisation of email, calendar and notes plus document viewers for PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Viewers, you’ll note, not full applications. The TFT screen measures 2.2 inches (again, like the C600) and the camera is rated at 1.3 Megapixels.

Both devices will be available across Europe from late July.

miffed
16th June 2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/15/htc_3g_phones/

Excuse me just a moment... *yawn* That's better. Does anyone else find HTC's products repeatedly uninspiring? Make us something we can get our teeth into, HTC!

A clip from the article:

zzzzzzzzzzzzz ...... eh , oh ! (sorry , Ben , you just woke me from playing with my 6680 ;) )

where were we ? , oh yeah ! HTC

I have to say I dissagree with your blashphemy :p - I can't think of a bad HTC device ,and I have had a few
& the best thing about HTC's is that you can Flash them easily at home as and when updates come out & keep your device right up to date - unlike

Ben
16th June 2006, 05:09 PM
Oh I totally agree in as much that they're not bad. Quite the contrary. But blow me down, they're the most boring, generic looking devices I can think of. They excite me about as much as Vauxhall's do :D

miffed
16th June 2006, 07:29 PM
Hey ,don't start on my Zafira now !

LOL ! - I do know what you mean , there are some styling issues , but tbh I do like the understated look of the devices I currently have (universal & wizard )
there is a pretty good looking htc device coming up, with the current smooth glossy black "trendy" look , with no protrusions etc , I am on the mda pro ATM , but when I get home i'll dig out a pic of it

The painful truth is ...... I think I am getting old and out of touch : (

Hands0n
16th June 2006, 07:32 PM
eh? wha? mwmfh! Did someone mention Vauxhalls? *blink*

I can only go by one of HTC's little gems - the SPV C500 (http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-typhoon-en.shtml) from Orange. It was okay, I suppose. It did the Windows Mobile thing, but then my PDA does that an awful lot better. As a phone it was so-so, but it took an agonisingly long time to start up, even my ageing 1Ghz Athlon with 512MB of PC100 started XP quicker! Occasionally it would lock up solid and require a reset.

It was a heavy little handset, unusually so for its size. The metal plating on the control bar wore away - as if that wasn't going to get used a lot, couldn't they have used real metal? The SPV C500 was, at that time, innovative and looked a lot better than its predecessor. But eye candy it was most certainly not.

It worked, so I suppose you can't fault it in that. I tried the productivity features, but went back to the PDA as quick as you like, they were not friendly or easy to use in the little C500.

Would I have another one? Probably not as long as the likes of Nokia and Sony Ericsson are about!

hecatae
16th June 2006, 09:30 PM
The two new models are claimed to be the world's first tri-band 3G Windows Mobile Pocket PC (the TyTN)

surely the htc universal was first?

miffed
17th June 2006, 08:03 AM

Behold the Trininty :)

surely that is "wicked" enough for you young, trendy types ? :D

Ben
17th June 2006, 01:49 PM
surely that is "wicked" enough for you young, trendy types ? :D
In a word... No!

miffed
18th June 2006, 10:40 AM
In a word... No!