View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 7: Extra Applications

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:04 AM
Extra Applications:

Once you’ve got Symbian you wont be happy with just the basic application suite. Oh no! And, luckily, installing new applications is as easy as pie.

First, install the CD that came with the phone. Then, connect the phone via the cable. Allow windows to automatically install all of your drivers. Once that’s done, you just find a compatible .SIS file on the Internet, download it, and double click it! Nokia’s application manager will load up and guide you through the rest. You can delete applications from the handset too – just go to the application manager on the phone itself and remove what you don’t want. You’ll soon get the hang of moving your icons around and keeping things tidy.

First off, I got the widely acclaimed Agile Messenger (http://www.agilemobile.com/). Wow! It’s great! I strongly suggest getting this freebie onto your phone so you can MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/AIM with your friends and colleagues wherever you are. Oh yes, the benefits of a good Symbian phone are becoming apparent.

I also bought two cheap applications (no more than £15). The first was VRadio – an interesting program that gives you access to a limited selection of streamed radio stations. I hope that the BBC channels will be available through it at some stage, but for now it provides me with an amusing variety of things to explore when I’m bored and feeling rich (remember, data charges apply). The other was Mocha Telnet for Symbian. I’ve already used this Telnet/SSH/SSH2 client on my Pocket PC and I can recommend it to anyone who fancies a bit of remote Linux administration while they’re on the road/at the gym/plain doing something they’re not supposed to be but needs to be able to keep tabs on servers.

There are thousands of applications out there – go find them.

Lucretia
4th July 2006, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I just bought a second hand phone, there was no CD with it - I've asked the guy to try to find it for me. But, basically, I'm wanting to know:

1) I can download the PC Suite from Nokia - not a problem, but what about the Symbian apps that come with the phone? Can I get these from Nokia too (for free)?

2) If I can't get them for free, which directories from the memory card need to be copied across in order for me to format the card? The card was slightly corrupt and full of files I couldn't delete from within the phone - think I've delelted them all now, but just in case, cos there's loads of directories on the card and have no idea which is which.

Thanks,
Luke.

whatleydude
4th July 2006, 07:05 AM
You can download a lot of the phone software from the nokia site also..

..from here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,8764,71259,00.html

Good luck!

Hands0n
4th July 2006, 07:28 AM
Re formatting the memory card - you can do it in the phone itself, in which case the directories you need should be created also.

Lucretia
4th July 2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for both repies, I'll see how it goes...

Luke.

addict
2nd February 2008, 02:47 PM
Agile messenger is good
But I have used IM+ its a much better applicaion

Ben
2nd February 2008, 06:17 PM
*bursts into tears*

That 6680 was absolutely awesome for its time. I think it was probably the first 3G phone that's similar in features and design to what most of us are using today? It's the only phone I've ever had that I've got out at a party and people have gone 'Wooooow!' - even I couldn't quite understand what all the fuss was about. T'was a glimpse of the future.

But yes, long time ago... and a long time since I used Agile Messenger. Better alternatives probably exist by now, and for just MSN I don't think you can go wrong with Microsoft's own S60 client.