View Full Version : Mobizines On 3

getti
16th June 2006, 08:43 PM
Three have today anounced they will be starting a service called mobizines as of next week ( tied in nicely with N80 possible release although handset is not listed to be able to supporting the service yet) any way its like a magazine subscription service for OK GQ all high street mags and when they are released in shops they will be dowloaded to your handset saving you time and effort of getting out your bed to nip down the newsagent

3GScottishUser
17th June 2006, 12:18 AM
Neat idea but in reality can you see yourself downloading a magazine to view on a 2" screen?

Like newspapers vs Teletext and the Internet it'll be a long time before the technology allows anything like the experience of flicking through the pages of a glossy magazine.... FHM readers might take even longer to make the switch!!

Hands0n
17th June 2006, 07:23 AM
I do spend a little time with the BBC News Mobile website, as well as others that have been crafted for PDA and Mobiles. They are okay, but I would not say that they are a substitute for either a full size PC screen (mine's 19") or a regular format paper magazine.

Screen size is the issue, and it is only compensated for by the sheer portability and availability of the information over the [mobile] network.

3GScottishUser
17th June 2006, 09:48 AM
Hold On.......

This Mobilezine concept is'nt a three exclusive at all!!! Its available on all networks!!

"Now you can download your favourite site directly to your mobile, no matter what network you're on. Just follow the five easy steps below. Included in your GQ Mobizine is a daily edition of Cool New Stuff and bi-weekly editions of our Going Out Guide, Girls Channel and Style Guide

All you'll need:
Your phone
A contract with your phone company that lets you access the Internet
A couple of minutes

The GQ Mobizine is free, but network charges apply (on average between 7p and 14p per edition). This is a cost per edition so you can re-read the Mobizine at any time at no extra cost."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/Features/Refresh/

For all you need to know about mobizines go here: http://www.mobizines.com/what/index.html

I suspect this is a very limited small taster designed to get you interested enough to buy the real printed copy once you get off the bus or the train!!

All these new ideas have their place of course but this one appears to be a marketing gimmick more than anything else as magazine content has been around on mobile portals for a long time now. Perhaps this branding might stimulate some new interest?

You just cant beat a quick flick through the pages in WH Smith esp if you are into the glossys.

Just think about how much you can scan through in a few seconds!!!

Ben
17th June 2006, 01:48 PM
Maybe Three's subscription version will be more like the full magazines.

I still can't see it catching on though, the mobile version is going to be insanely inferior to the glossy version - and they're bad enough as it is.

robdensby
29th June 2006, 08:21 AM
Three have today anounced they will be starting a service called mobizines as of next week ( tied in nicely with N80 possible release although handset is not listed to be able to supporting the service yet) any way its like a magazine subscription service for OK GQ all high street mags and when they are released in shops they will be dowloaded to your handset saving you time and effort of getting out your bed to nip down the newsagent

Yes Mobizines run really well on my 3 Phone. They look fantastic and they work on a whole host of phones from (from Nokia S60 to LG and Sony Ericsson).

3g-g
29th June 2006, 10:52 AM
Yes Mobizines run really well on my 3 Phone. They look fantastic and they work on a whole host of phones from (from Nokia S60 to LG and Sony Ericsson).

Good stuff, do you have any specific 'zines you can recommend to the Talk3G members?

whatleydude
29th June 2006, 11:10 AM
I've had Mobizines running on my N70 for a few months now.
They're really good and its great that they've started on 3 now too.

I'd recommend their World Cup and Never Mind the Bratwurst 'zines!

The latter being a humorous look at the former..

The BBC App was mentioned elsewhere on this forum a while back - thats when I got it originally and they've been adding new Mobizines to their lineup every month..

I would imagine that Three's service wouldnt be any different from the other netowrks..
In that you only get charged for your data.
There's no actual subscription fee to the service.

..and as I said - its actually quite good -

(so I'd check it out if I were you Ben - before you start knockin' it! ;) )

whatleydude
29th June 2006, 02:32 PM
I stand corrected..

I was out to lunch just now with a Three friend of mine and Mobzines will cost him £2.99 per month for as many mobizines as he likes..

Whereas the other networks charge you by the data downloaded - Three charges you one flat fee per month..

Hmm..

Interesting,.

But yeah - just thought I'd share..

( Three also state a 'Seven Day Trial Period' just in case you DO want to check it out! )

Hands0n
29th June 2006, 04:38 PM
Hmmm, that could be good, or it could be bad :D depending on your usage of the Mobizines. With data charges falling or being bundled up (i.e. Web N Walk) some of the data access penalties start to disappear. 3 may have to revise the way they tariff these if they are not to start looking a bit expensive in comparison to the other networks. But that is a little way off just yet.

I've not sampled the Mobizines yet. But they do sound interesting - I need a trial to compare between them and what I already get on the 'net with my Web N Walk (Opera mini browser). Tbh, I never access electronic versions of paper magazines.

whatleydude
29th June 2006, 06:26 PM
Thats what I thought..
I think its Three's way of getting around the garden so to speak..

On all other networks there's no 'subscription fee' mind so no worries for us non-three users!

:D

robdensby
30th June 2006, 07:55 AM
The Mobizines content are a good read. I'd recommend the BBC News Headlines and Pocket Lint as the best ones. Holy Moly is a great laugh but that one is not on the Three version yet (just available to everyone else). OK Magazine has some good celeb gossip if you like that sort of thing. Its much more than a marketing thing.

What's more it work on the tube with no signal because the Mobizines are pushed to your phones when their published. So there no waiting for a download and your never stuck if there's no signal.

Hands0n
30th June 2006, 08:10 AM
I have installed Mobizines on my T-Mobile 6280 (it has Web N Walk) so should be no data charges unless I get all heavy usage etc.. First glance is that it was easy to install, anyone could manage it so long as they can use their handset - a nice touch.

Content is where it is all at .... I've downloaded Holy Moly and GQ to have a play with. Initial reaction .... hmmmmm too early to make one :) Interesting, maybe?

whatleydude
10th July 2006, 11:25 AM
How are you getting on with it Handson?
Do you still read it?

I still use mine but a couple of people I know seem to have lost interest..
*shrug*

Ben
10th July 2006, 02:10 PM
Alrighty then. I got mobizines free from here (jar file): http://www.mobizines.com/download/index.html#senokialg

And installed it the lazy way from WAP Download here: http://www.cbfmobile.com/

Installation takes a while, but it got the job done.

I've added GQ and particularly like the Going Out section. I'll probably hang on to it just for this. New Stuff is a bit too brief really, and the pictures on all the sections come out teeny tiny on the N80... especially noticable in Girls! The same goes for What's In Style - without a way to enlarge and view pictures full screen it's hard to find it useful.

It's a nice idea, and for free I certainly can't complain. A subscription service with bucketloads more content would be better, though!

Hands0n
10th July 2006, 07:22 PM
How are you getting on with it Handson?
Do you still read it?

I still use mine but a couple of people I know seem to have lost interest..
*shrug*

Well, it is still being used, when I can remember to! The comments that Ben makes echo my feelings pretty much. Pictures on the 6280 are too small to even be bothered with. But some of the infor, while brief, is nevertheless interesting to read. But it does leave me wanting for more.

If this is the way Mobizines is going I don't really think that there is much of a future in it given the ease of use of the likes of Opera Mini - while some don't like pages being reformatted for them, it is better than the alternative although the likes of the N80 get around that nicely, allegedly.

What about you? You still as keen as ever?

whatleydude
13th July 2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah man - I'm a complete sucker for the lot of 'em.

I think Glamour Mag and Corrie are about the only two I dont have!

lol

Downloaded a new one today actually - a bit Jack@ss styleee - Kamikaze..?
You seen it?

I havent had a play yet.. been too... er.. busy.
( if you call surfin' busy - ;) )

getti
2nd October 2006, 10:27 PM
I just installed Mobizines off the official site as 3 still say its coming soon. Good thing is i have the 512mb free data a month for free so instead of paying 3 £2.99 a month my updates just come out of my free data!

Loving the new additions