View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 6: Network Portals & Browsing

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:07 AM
Network Portals & Browsing:

I’m somewhat at odds with browsing on the 6680. I can browse the Orange World portal, Vodafone Live! With 3G portal, BBC Mobile, and a load of other low-detail sites or sites designed for mobiles. More complicated sites, however, seem to prompt spontaneous browser exiting. It also doesn’t handle JavaScript wonderfully so I disabled that for now. I’m also not impressed with Opera’s mobile browser. I’ll keep searching until I find a third party application I’m happy with, but be assured that the built-in browser will do you for your basic requirements and probably more.

Forms and frames did work reasonably well, however, and I was able to perform a number of tasks via the web browser before I started running into trouble.

Vodafone Live with 3G impressed me considerably more than Orange World, which surprised me. Orange World has long been, in my book, king of the 2G portals, but Vodafone’s redesign has come as a welcome change. Music track downloads on Vodafone Live are quite quick, easy, and of very good quality. Music downloads using the Orange Music Player application, on the other hand, are of extremely poor quality compared – unacceptable for the money being asked. Luckily you get 3 tracks free for 3 months so you can see for yourself what I’m talking about. One thing that didn’t work on either portal was video downloading and video streaming. I suspect this is because the handset simply isn’t allowed to access the necessary servers at this time, but it could also be due to the settings I am using. Until a network launches it officially I can’t get any support, so ask me about it at some stage in the future and I’ll let you know.