View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 5: Sound, Pictures & Video

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:25 AM
Sound. Sound is very important on mobile phones these days, and you’ll be pleased to hear that the Nokia 6680 has a very capable loudspeaker located at the top of the handset. The supplied (standard, nasty) Nokia headphones also reproduce sound reliably – but the pure clumsiness of them will have you yearning for Nokia’s latest Bluetooth stereo headset due out later this year. The sound quality on voice calls through both standard and loud speakers is commendable, as is the loud speaker quality on video calls. Nokia have not forgotten that this is a phone, and it sounds like quality components have been used throughout.

Using the rear camera is a joy. The quality is good, especially outdoors or in well lit rooms, and that rear slide will keep you busy for ages. Slide-and-shoot certainly makes everything very quick and easy, and your newly captured image can quickly be transmitted via the method of your choosing or simply left on the phone and automatically named using the parameters you specify (i.e. date). I had a few problems with the supposedly seamless resizing of my megapixel images into MMS messages, but somehow it just started working so I wont say anything other than be prepared for such a complicated device to have ‘quirks’.

This phone features what I’m going to refer to as a ‘real’ flash. It’s not just a light, it actually flashes, and damn is it bright. So bright in fact that the pictures I’ve taken so far have actually been rather over-exposed. I suggest that Nokia’s figure of 1.5m effective range is somewhat cautious, and that this flash would be best used at around 1.5m away from the target or more. I am a rubbish photographer, so excuse my shots below! Note that using digital zoom when taking pictures destroys the image quality - as seen on the bench shot.

Video capture through the rear camera is superb. I haven’t played back the video files on a computer (the quality won’t be great, it never is on these things, and the resolution is significantly less) but on the phone screen everything looked great – including my zooms! Zoom on this cameraphone is ‘smooth’, not staged, which will be a welcome discovery for many if not all of you. Video playback can be done in full screen, for which you turn the phone on its side, and again I was won over by the quality and smoothness of playback. Just don’t expect to produce a Spielberg on it.

The front camera. Ah, there’s always a let down. Obviously it’s not as good as the rear, and for video calling it’s more than acceptable. However, once the light starts to fade you’ll spot the introduction of a considerable amount of noise. It almost looks like a bad TV signal! Zoom is only 2x on this camera, and staged rather than smooth. All I can say is that this is a video calling camera (and gives lovely video calling at that) and I strongly advise against using it for anything else. Want to take pictures of yourself? Don’t worry, you can see yourself in the chrome ring around the rear camera and be captured in all your megapixel glory.

Pictures left to right: Bench at 6x digital zoom, plant at 1x, view at 1x, stairs at 1x with flash.

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:26 AM
Additional photos of the handset are below:

markybhoy75
19th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Hi great info .

Is there any chance you can take a pic somewere dark flsh on flash off to compare the pictures.

What file formats does the 6680 support as a ringing tone?

Regards

Marky

Ben
19th April 2005, 05:11 PM
Hi, flash off/on pictures can be found here: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=225

By the looks of it, it can support mxmf, aac, mid and MP3. Vodafone and Orange downloaded music cannot be used. Other ringtone formats are probably supported, but at least MP3 ringtones work :D *Bops to Call On Me*

ritaritz575
18th May 2005, 09:32 AM
hi ben... im a new member of your forum.. this is such a wonderful review! im actually thinking of trading in my 6630 for 6680.. but i just had to ask u a few question....

can u compare the speaker-sound (or loudspeaker) of 6680 vs 6630...
does polytones sound of 6680 better than 6630?

im quite satisfied with the sound of my 6630, so i had to be sure first if 6680 sounds better before i actually buy the phone.

oh btw, can u video (& save) yourself using the front camera?

Ben
18th May 2005, 01:17 PM
Hello ritaritz575! Welcome to Talk3G!

I've not used the 6630 much, but I can tell you that the phones are very similar underneath the covers. The sound quality is going to be almost identical. I'd imagine it's actually the same, but I can't confirm that 100%. I'm very satisfied with how my 6680 sounds, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate everyone has different standards of audio perception.

The front camera can indeed take and save video, yes :)

ritaritz575
19th May 2005, 01:09 AM
tnx ben for the information... what a very informative thread u have here!!!

BrouZe
20th May 2005, 03:18 PM
Ben, how would you say the sound quality compares to an E1000?

Ben
20th May 2005, 03:23 PM
I honestly couldn't say. I'm playing Maroon 5 - This Love through the loudspeaker right now, and though it sounds tinny, it's fantastically loud for a mobile! It's very clear.

Using the phone to the ear on voice calls also sounds fantastic. To be fair, Nokia's always are.

Drop me an E1000 in the post and I'll do some direct comparisons for you ;) I refuse to buy a Moto!

BrouZe
20th May 2005, 03:31 PM
ROFLMOA!! :p Its just that the E1000 has got the best sound on a phone that I have ever heard(so far!) just wondered how they compared. :)

ritaritz575
9th June 2005, 01:23 AM
hi ben...

does 6680 produces a stereo MP3?

all i have read is that it is stereo if ur using the earphone that comes with the phone. how bout listening to MP3 via the loudspeaker? can u pls comment?

Ben
9th June 2005, 02:13 AM
I'm not entirely sure on the first question... but output through the headphones is stereo. AFAIK there is only the one loudspeaker, so output via this is not stereo - but you're really not going to want to listen to your music via the handset loudspeaker anyway. It's no worse than other phones, but you'd at least want the Nokia music stand.

Music playback through the headphones is actually pretty decent quality - I was impressed. I greatly look forward to the new Nokia headsets coming out.

ritaritz575
9th June 2005, 05:21 AM
hey ben, tnx for answering my question, but i've got another one if u dont mind... :)

can u use the camera flash while ur taking longer videos in a poorly-lighted setting? or is the camera flash made for taking pictures only?

Ben
9th June 2005, 09:52 AM
No problem! The flash illuminates when you take video, but it doesn't seem as bright as when it 'flashes' for a picture. Still, it helps a little - I've taken videos in some pretty dim surroundings (ie outside at night and in bars) and they've come out really well.

ritaritz575
10th June 2005, 01:26 AM
that's so cool! now ben here's another one...

is the phone's camera equipped with a "white balance" setting? (lyk that of SE S700i)

i've read the full specs of 6680 in the nokia website, & it says that is has a "white balance setting" but i jas HAVE to ask this specific question from someone WHO ACTUALLY OWNS a 6680...

Ben
10th June 2005, 02:10 AM
Indeed, brightness, contrast, white balance and colour tone can all be adjusted to suit. :)

ritaritz575
10th June 2005, 07:15 AM
wow! wow! wow! u've got me totally convinced ben!

i badly wanted to trade-in my 6630 for the 6680. the only thing that is preventing me from doing so is the thought that the N70 (similar features with 6680) will be coming out this December. but with the projected sky-high price of the N70, i might just grab the 6680 within the coming days :rolleyes:

tnx much! i hope u wont mind if have some more questions bout the 6680 in the future...

ritaritz575
10th June 2005, 07:57 AM
wow! wow! wow! u've got me totally convinced ben!

i badly wanted to trade-in my 6630 for the 6680. the only thing that is preventing me from doing so is the thought that the N70 (similar features with 6680) will be coming out this December. but with the projected sky-high price of the N70, i might just grab the 6680 within the coming days :rolleyes:

tnx much! i hope u wont mind if have some more questions bout the 6680 in the future...

ooops, sori ben, its about that "white balance" again...

does d phone use the white balance setting WHILE/BEFORE u take a picture, or is it used AFTER the shot has been taken?

Hands0n
6th September 2005, 10:48 PM
ROFLMOA!! :p Its just that the E1000 has got the best sound on a phone that I have ever heard(so far!) just wondered how they compared. :)

I have got both (finally) and trust me, the E1000 kicks the pants of the 6680 - there is no comparison. The E1000 (and I have to say the A1000 to a slightly lesser degree) have superb audio speaker quality for music and video.

I find the 6680 somewhat tinny and slightly indistinct by comparison. Not awful, but once you've heard an E1000 on full chat there does not appear to be anything worthwhile to compare.

But to be sure, the 6680 is an awesome beast in almost every other respect. If it had AGPS built in it would be both of the dog's nuts!