View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 3: Using Standard Features

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:34 AM
Using Standard Features:

Everything takes a tiny bit of getting used to on the Nokia 6680, due to the Symbian operating system, if you’re coming from a ‘standard’ phone. I myself have never owned a Symbian handset, so I hope my comments here will be helpful. First off, you need to start thinking about everything on the handset as an application just like on your computer. You can have more than one application open at once, you can switch between open applications, and you can have too much open and run out of memory.

To see what applications you have open, push and hold the menu key (bottom left). You’ll want to leave the Telephone application running of course, but any other programs you forget to exit can be found here and closed by selecting them and pressing the C key. Don’t worry – you’ll get used to it, and you’ll soon love the extra power and control over what your phone is doing just as I now do.

To access your contacts, just push the central navigation key in. Adding and managing your contacts is as simple as can be – the Symbian OS doesn’t get in the way one bit. Next icon along on the home screen, which you get to by pushing the navigation key to the right once and then clicking, is one you’ll use a lot. Messaging! On the standard layout you can also get to Messaging using the left softkey, but I’ve opted to change mine to Web instead for easy browsing. If you’re a textaholic then the text messaging parts are going to be extremely straightforward for you. I always did like the way Nokia’s text – even if Sony Ericsson’s are a little better on the actual input side. MMS and Email are more complicated, but again you have a lot of power and control.

Messages can be set to be stored on the memory card. While I am using this feature, it detracts noticeably from performance and accessing your texts will be slower as a result. Store your messages in the handset memory by all means, but just note that if you build up a lot of them then you’ll be able to run less applications at the same time.

bangers!
29th May 2005, 03:09 PM
When on the home page i don't get any functions by pushing the navigation pad in a certain direction.

If i push and hold i get my contacts but would like to assign a direction to new SMS. I have gone to the phone settings> navigation key right>new text message, but this still doesn't work. Is there an option to turn the navigation key shortcuts on?
Thanks

Ben
29th May 2005, 07:50 PM
Hi,

What network are you on? Orange, for example, have their own branded start screen.

You can't just push the nav key in a direction - you need to push it in a direction to highlight the correct icon and then press it in to select it.

Hope that helps!

bangers!
30th May 2005, 08:54 AM
ahhh thanks Ben. Im on the Orange network, so i see where your coming from about the short cuts now
Cheers bangers