View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Part 2: Switching on

Ben
15th April 2005, 02:41 AM
Switching on:

Getting started with this phone was remarkably easy. Firstly, the power button is very easy to press on this phone. It’s an actual button rather than an insensitive pinhole sized point of frustration as on many older and more basic Nokia phones. The first time I switched it on I was greeted by a wizard that helped me set up the basics – where I am, what language I speak, what the time is etc. Definitely beats the first task on a lot of mobile phones these days – hunt the clock settings! Right from the start it’s clear that you’re accessing more of a computer than a phone, but don’t let this put you off if you’re not buying this handset for it’s smartphone features – all the basic stuff is still there.

The display is bright and vibrant. It’s not the best I’ve seen, but it’s very good for a Nokia. Lets face it, Nokia make phones, not the fancy looking ornaments that other manufacturers are winning market share with, so the inclusion of such a good quality screen must have really taken some tongue-biting. It’s appreciated that the higher number of colours the 6680 boasts is mostly a statistic to win over customers rather than a visual enhancement, but it looks great and I’m happy!

Now on to the keypad. Understandably, a keypad can make or break a phone, and luckily the Nokia 6680’s works in its favour. The keypresses aren’t dissimilar to those on a Nokia 6230, but the clear buttons feel much nicer to the touch. Making the buttons clear has enabled Nokia to use rather large buttons without them detracting from the overall look of the phone – and the stunning central navigation key is a feature in itself, resembling a start button in an expensive sports car.

If you’ve been using another brand of 3G phone, or another brand of any phone perhaps, then you may be about to notice a sharp increase in usable signal. Having come from a T610 and Z1010 to the 6680 has caused me to re-evaluate the quality of Orange’s network. Suddenly I can connect to data services where previously my Sony Ericsson phones couldn’t even pick up a signal. From my own personal experience, Nokia may not have the best looking handsets (though with the 6680 I think they’ve got a classically designed winner) but they know how to make mobile phones that function superbly for their core tasks. I was also able to pick up usable 3G signal on Vodafone. All switching between modes and bands appears to be completely seamless.

I’m only going to mention battery life in passing. So far I’m getting about a day-and-a-half per charge. Hang on a second, let me explain! I literally haven’t put the phone down since I got it. I’ve been downloading music, listening to it all through the loudspeaker, taking videos, taking pictures, sending email/SMS/MMS, downloading attachments, testing various settings, switching USIM cards, testing handovers… (the list goes on). For normal usage, expect 2.5 to 3 days. Charging every other night would probably be wise. On standby I daresay you’d get about 6.

Lucretia
4th July 2006, 03:51 AM
Hi,

I just picked up an unlocked 3 version of this mobile. Thing is, when I install the SIM and turn it on, the first thing it asks is "Use phone in offline mode?" WTF does that mean?

Thanks,
Luke.

whatleydude
4th July 2006, 07:07 AM
'Offline Mode' is basically what is says it is!
;)

You can use the phone - it just wont connect to any network.
Its good if you need to turn your phone on while on a plane or something.
I use my N70 (which has the same function) as my MP3 player - dead handy on a long flight.

It asks you that when you turn it on because it may've been switched off while still in offline mode.
The phone is just asking you if you still need it or not..
It you don't - then click 'no'!

:)

Lucretia
4th July 2006, 05:03 PM
Ok, thanks for that. It's just that it doesn't say in the manuals that came with the phone, so it's a bit cryptic.

Luke.