View Full Version : Orange Dump N91!

getti
27th June 2006, 10:00 PM
Orange have officially dumped the N91 and this will now NOT go on sale on their network.

Something due to technical issues but rumors are Orange wanted their own Media Player thing on there and Nokia said no so Orange dropped it completly.

Hands0n
27th June 2006, 11:46 PM
How very Gallic of Orange :D

Ben
28th June 2006, 12:02 AM
I don't doubt you for a second, but it's still on their Coming Soon page. How 'official' is official?

getti
28th June 2006, 08:49 AM
100000% official. It came from inside Orange (not telling from who of course). Stores had demo units in but have been told to return all handsets to head office

3GScottishUser
28th June 2006, 03:06 PM
So we shall have to keep an eye open for some special offers on N91's.

They will end up somewhere....... any guesses who might want to buy a job lot of dodgy 3G handsets....?????

Hands0n
28th June 2006, 03:12 PM
Are you giving me 3 guesses :p

Sorry, couldn't resist that :D I'll behave from now on :rolleyes:

3GScottishUser
28th June 2006, 10:31 PM
02 seem happy with the device... but I dare say Orange's rejects will turn up somewhere.... a bargain on a dealer site on contract for certain.....

3g-g
29th June 2006, 12:22 AM
100000% official. It came from inside Orange (not telling from who of course). Stores had demo units in but have been told to return all handsets to head office

Hmm, I've been told this might be a possibility as a replacement for my 6680... but 100,000% is a lot of percent, 99,900% larger than anything actually possible! ;)

Ben
29th June 2006, 01:22 AM
I can understand Orange stating the music player as grounds for dropping the device. However, the music player is key and central to the N91 device... surely Orange knew from the beginning (especially what with the delays) that the core audio functionality of the N91 would not be centred around the Orange *crappy* Music Player. Someone should get the boot over this... and then someone else who decided OMP was a dealbreaker.

Hands0n
29th June 2006, 07:40 AM
I'd quite like the N91, in a bricky sort of way - feels nice in the hand and all that kind of stuff :D The thought of a 4GB HDD is appealing, although SD cards are heading that way (2GB and counting!). Getti's video report on it brought the N91 to my interested-I-want-one threshold.

Orange have been utterly stupid on this, and I think completely protectionist which - trying not to sound xenophobic - is rather the kind of policy that I'd expect from a French-owned company. Anticipate more such rationale from Orange, unless the above sackings and replacements of policy-making individuals with more open-minded management occurs.

Perhaps this is why they didn't take on the SE W800 and W900i series - but then, unless they can cripple the incumbent players in favour of OMP they won't market any music playing handset.