View Full Version : V3X homescreen, Orange

m1.carson
29th June 2006, 06:51 AM
Hi,
Recieved my V3X yesterday, has anyone found a way to remove the Orange shortcuts off the home screen yet without flashing it to a generic rom, can't do that it's still under warranty.
But first impression of the phone, I like it.

3g-g
29th June 2006, 10:49 AM
Hi m1.carson, welcome to Talk3G! :)

I'm afraid the only way you can have the Orange shortcuts removed is with a flash, there's no option to turn it off on any of the Orange homescreen branded handsets. However, with my 6680 I put it to the Nokia repair centre that the homescreen was "affecting" my use of the handset, and as it was only a week old and under warranty they flashed it and removed the Orangey stuff. On the fault report it was listed as a SW problem, perhaps you could try the same route for your V3? I've got a moto SLVR as well, and for some reason it doesn't bother me as much on that as it did on the 6680! Wierd!

m1.carson
30th June 2006, 09:51 AM
Hi 3gg,
Thanks for the prompt reply,will have to find the nearest Moto repair centre.
Max.

m1.carson
2nd July 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi 3gg,

Wen't to the carphone w/house, they wanted £40-00 gbp to flash it, if it's generic surely there must be a legal download for it, tried moto and was told I've got the latest software, where do they keep the unlatest ?

Max.

Hands0n
2nd July 2006, 10:32 AM
I cannot endorse this website or its contents (use at your own risk etc. etc.) but you may find some of your answers here (http://www.7900novadrive.com/v3/v3x.htm)

Before going into a full-blown reflash you might get some success with the Flex Editor which can turn on and off certain attributes. It all rather depends on how Orange have performed the customisations on the handset. A Flex Edit essentially turns switches on and off in the firmware without requiring a full firmware download into the handset. An example is with the V3 - where you can use a Flex Editor to turn on the Video Recording feature and associated menus that is (was) disabled by default.

m1.carson
5th July 2006, 05:46 AM
Hi,
Thanks, but I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that :D

Max.

OmegaMAD
9th July 2006, 07:23 PM
Did you manage to get the software off in the end? I'm trying to get rid of the stuff myself but I'm looking for a success story.

m1.carson
19th July 2006, 06:43 AM
Did you manage to get the software off in the end? I'm trying to get rid of the stuff myself but I'm looking for a success story.

Yes, just replied to your message, I'm very pleased with the result.

Max.

Ben
19th July 2006, 10:18 AM
Ah that's great, what course of action did you take in the end?

m1.carson
25th July 2006, 05:58 AM
Hi,

Via motomodders I found something called a monster pack, [the name nearly put me off] used RSD lite 2.4, closed my eyes and pushed the button, it worked perfectly, if you're not worried about the guarantee I highly recommend it.

I've since been able to make some smaller mods, like upping the volume, and having four shortcuts on the homescreen but hidden, accessible via the arrow buttons, the next is to translate the US data settings [cingular] to UK.

If I can, anyone can, just make sure you read all the advice, like fully charged battery etc.:D

Hands0n
25th July 2006, 08:19 AM
Nice one :)

I just did a quick google for "monster pack" and found http://www.planetmotox.net which has a ton of such packs and lots more for the V3 series.

If you want to back up your V3x before playing around a good easy read guide is here http://www.themotoguide.com/index.php?PID=1&PGID=e2cEO9WIrZ