View Full Version : 3g browsing costs

diwlsn
30th June 2006, 01:51 PM
hi me again! :p

how much does it actually cost to browse the internet, i have read somewhere that it only costs when you actually download something or start sending and receiveing emails, is this true?

i keep reading that i will be charged per megabyte but how do i know how many megabytes i will use while i'm online for say 15 mins (just browsing no emails or downloads)?

i haven't actally got a 3g phone yet i'm still umming and rrring!

i am using a k750i linked to a laptop via gprs using bluetooth! (on a vodafone pay monthly contract)

i am waiting for the charges to show on my bill for the browsing i have done in the last few days, but i haven't got a clue how much it costs??

can anyone help me out?

thank you xxx

3GScottishUser
30th June 2006, 02:11 PM
No problem....

Old phones used a dial-up technology called WAP which used to be charged by the minute or part thereof just like a normal phonecall.

New devices like your 750i have GPRS which is packet based and you only pay for the amount of data you send or receive. Some services like Orange World and Vodafone Live are completely free as they are really portals that primarily advertise paid for content.

Vodafone have some decent value data bundles you can add on that allow you to browse on the handset, via a laptop or use the credit for SMS or MMS. The cost presently is about £2.35 a MB. A typical news website like Sky's is about 40KB so you should in theory be able to view about 25 - 30 rich HTML pages for £2.35. Quite pricey but OK for occasional use.

Hope the above helps.

3g-g
30th June 2006, 03:23 PM

how much does it actually cost to browse the internet, i have read somewhere that it only costs when you actually download something or start sending and receiveing emails, is this true?

i keep reading that i will be charged per megabyte but how do i know how many megabytes i will use while i'm online for say 15 mins (just browsing no emails or downloads)?

i haven't actally got a 3g phone yet i'm still umming and rrring!

i am using a k750i linked to a laptop via gprs using bluetooth! (on a vodafone pay monthly contract)...

As 3GSU points out it's not too bad if you're going for occasional browse, however if you're going to need your data connection for more intensive use then I'd think about one of the networks laptop data card solutions, it also takes away the hassle of your phone battery running flat very quickly as it copes with both the data connection and the bluetooth one! For £45pcm and £49 for the card, you could have unlimited data, with no other charge other than the line rental. Orange do similar, you could have per MB charges as low as 4.5p, however the initial outlay for the card, depending on the plan you choose, is stupidly expensive! If you're still wanting to stick with a handset it might be an idea to call Vodafone and change to a plan that includes some data or brings your data cost down.

solo12002
2nd July 2006, 10:26 AM
Dont forget the web and walk pro data card from t-mobile its £20 per month and offers a 2 GB limit. I think it may be the best offer of the lot currently, unless someone tells me other wise!

Ben
2nd July 2006, 12:45 PM
It's true, provided there is no need for VOIP or Instant Messaging as both are strictly prohibited on the T-Mobile network at the current time. If this is a deal breaker then Vodafone remains top-dog.