View Full Version : Submissions for July 2006

Ben
30th June 2006, 10:59 PM
Hurrah for whatleydude, esteemed winner of the May photo competition! Thanks to everyone who took part.

This month we're celebrating 1,000 members of Talk3G. The winner of this months photo competition will receive 300 texts messages in an online account to use as they please.

Here's how it works!
Post one photo taken from your phone, as an attachment, on this thread.
At the end of each month, a new thread will be made allowing you to vote for your winner!

Notes:
1) Your post and attached image will not show up straight away - we check each entry first.
2) You can only enter one picture each month.
3) All pictures must be taken with a 3G phone during the month of July 2006 - you can state which phone you used if you wish, but technical quality is unimportant. As such, reducing the size of your photo is fine provided no 'photoshopping' is performed. Infact, with mobile phone cameras generating increasingly large files you are encouraged to slightly reduce the dimensions of your snaps and Windows users can do this using Stretch/Skew in Microsoft Paint.
4) The winners poll will now be a public vote - you can't vote for yourself!

Good luck, enjoy it!
Ben

Ben
2nd July 2006, 04:43 PM
It's a feeding frenzy! A few of my VFT's, taken with the hardly-spectacular Nokia N80 camera. Reduced to 70%.

teclo
3rd July 2006, 08:24 AM
Taken this morning as the traffic crawled along the M8. The new SPECS "Safety" cameras at junction 24. Only going to be there for 8 weeks or so thankfully.

I liked how the sun was trying to break through the clouds and haze.

Yssybyl
3rd July 2006, 05:39 PM
The new SPECS "Safety" cameras at junction 24. Only going to be there for 8 weeks or so thankfully.

Those averaging cameras are nasty... they record time in and time out and can record the "offense" before you've passed the second one if your average speed is greater than it should be. Although, not a problem if you have a motorbike as there's no front facing license plate ;)

Going to have to think hard about this months entry seeing as no-one seemed to like my June pic yet... (blatent plug for votes)

Ben
3rd July 2006, 05:42 PM
Going to have to think hard about this months entry seeing as no-one seemed to like my June pic yet... (blatent plug for votes)
Hehe, I was in the same boat! I'm praying that everyone else is as sick of the summer deluge of insects as I am ;)

teclo
3rd July 2006, 06:25 PM
Those averaging cameras are nasty... they record time in and time out and can record the "offense" before you've passed the second one if your average speed is greater than it should be. Although, not a problem if you have a motorbike as there's no front facing license plate ;)

They are billing these as "Safety" cameras for the roadworks, they replace the normal Gatsos that they usually have on motorway work.

I wonder what the margin for error is with these things.

And quit yer' complaining yssybyl, you have won before haven't you? I have yet to get _one_ vote, EVER! :P

Hands0n
3rd July 2006, 08:11 PM
They are billing these as "Safety" cameras for the roadworks, they replace the normal Gatsos that they usually have on motorway work.

I wonder what the margin for error is with these things.

And quit yer' complaining yssybyl, you have won before haven't you? I have yet to get _one_ vote, EVER! :P

The "margin for error" is insignificant given the method use, simple schoolboy maths to work out your average speed between the two cameras. It is that average that you are being busted for if it exceeds the posted speed limit.

If you think you've gone through the first one a bit quick, the best thing is to "break down" on the hard shoulder for a couple of minutes to allow the averaging effect to take place in your favour.

If its the second camera you've passed then you are already too late:eek:

Just wait until they install RFID in all number plates :(

teclo
4th July 2006, 12:30 PM
The "margin for error" is insignificant given the method use, simple schoolboy maths to work out your average speed between the two cameras. It is that average that you are being busted for if it exceeds the posted speed limit.

I was thinking more of the margin for driver error. Is it the speed limit + 10% or something like that or is it very strict. You have to be doing 30 the whole distance and any deviation gets you a ticket.

Hands0n
4th July 2006, 11:39 PM
I was thinking more of the margin for driver error. Is it the speed limit + 10% or something like that or is it very strict. You have to be doing 30 the whole distance and any deviation gets you a ticket.

The margin for driver error is rather a lottery, depenent upon the managing Camera Partnership. The surest method is not to try for the legendary +10% anymore. Go by your [optimistic] speedo - the small difference is not meaningfully signifcant on any journey.

Ally3g
5th July 2006, 05:49 PM
Here is the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth taken from a different viewpoint. The back.:) On a cloudy day today.

slogo
7th July 2006, 06:10 PM
one i took a few night ago!

gorilla
8th July 2006, 11:31 AM
I took this photo at maximum settings and I have reduced it to 50% of the original size. It was taken last night at about 8pm. I think the quality is ok, considering the N80 has taken a lot of stick.

miffed
8th July 2006, 03:39 PM
It's a feeding frenzy! A few of my VFT's, taken with the hardly-spectacular Nokia N80 camera. Reduced to 70%.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

AAAARRRGGHHH !

I hate those things !

(I have a unusual phobia bout houseplants - even the non-carnivorous variety :( )

KingMatt2511
8th July 2006, 10:15 PM
Rays of sunlight bursting through the clouds outside of a mate's house. Almost holy!!

Taken with an N70.

whatleydude
22nd July 2006, 11:04 AM
Right..

Here's my effort!

Me, in the home team changing room at Stamford Bridge!

:)

N70 - Email Setting

(and I'm not even a fan!)

crowfield99
27th July 2006, 12:43 AM
Right..

Here's my effort!

Me, in the home team changing room at Stamford Bridge!

:)

N70 - Email Setting

(and I'm not even a fan!)

Thats not on! Where was our tickets? :D

Phree
28th July 2006, 01:30 AM
Hi guys,

my first post & pic...Taken with my N70 during the thunderstorm on Wednesday night across Fareham & Gosport...

Ben
28th July 2006, 03:18 AM
Very nice! Welcome to Talk3G :)

Phree
28th July 2006, 03:29 AM
Thanks very much Ben :)

crowfield99
28th July 2006, 12:16 PM
Hi guys,

my first post & pic...Taken with my N70 during the thunderstorm on Wednesday night across Fareham & Gosport...

Wow, that is freaky.. :eek:

Ben
28th July 2006, 12:35 PM
The lightening, or that we just had our 500th attachment! ;)

andymc001
28th July 2006, 03:06 PM
How about this one from the beach in north berwick taken with the k800i and reduced to 50% size

crowfield99
29th July 2006, 01:33 AM
The lightening, or that we just had our 500th attachment! ;)

The lightening! Jez, never knew it could be like that in the UK! :eek:

Phree
29th July 2006, 01:57 AM
The lightening! Jez, never knew it could be like that in the UK! :eek:

Heh, thanks :D This was just luck - put the N70 in Sequence mode...Click..click..click..click..click..click. Check images, no lightning. Delete, start sequence mode again. Click..cli...You get the idea! Took a fair while standing there to catch that - I never thought I was going to get a decent shot. If anyone bought the Sun yesterday (Friday 28th July) on page 27 there is a photo of the lightning above HMS Warrior which I can see from my house. Wish I'd got that shot!

crowfield99
29th July 2006, 09:25 PM
Heh, thanks :D This was just luck - put the N70 in Sequence mode...Click..click..click..click..click..click. Check images, no lightning. Delete, start sequence mode again. Click..cli...You get the idea! Took a fair while standing there to catch that - I never thought I was going to get a decent shot. If anyone bought the Sun yesterday (Friday 28th July) on page 27 there is a photo of the lightning above HMS Warrior which I can see from my house. Wish I'd got that shot!

I dont have the papers, but one of my mates did see it - said it was amazing! Wonders if it hit anything? :o:confused: