View Full Version : O2 to slash monthly prices

Hands0n
6th July 2006, 05:14 PM
Wow! The gloves appear to be off. This could be very good news indeed for any O2 customers, if it is going to be possible to migrate to the new tariffs in-contract. Not so good news for the rival mobile operators who are not keeping up with the game.

O2 will overhaul its monthly tariffs next week for the first time since 2002.

The new plans will be launched on 13 July and offer better value than the current range, The Register has learned.

The operator seems to be responding to pressure from rivals. T-Mobile's Flext campaign is known to have scored big with consumers and attracted many new punters to the German-owned network.

Under O2's new scheme a middle of the road £30 plan will get you 250 network anytime minutes and 100 texts on a 12 month contract, and 400 minutes with 100 texts if you sign up for 18 months. All the new plans include the current 100kb browsing allowance.

By comparison, O2's current £30 package punts just 200 minutes, with a special offer to double the minutes and texts for three or six months depending on length of contract.

Orange's daft animals provide 200 minutes and 75 texts for £30 on a 12 month sign up to the "Canary" plan. The Vodafone website pitches 275 anytime minutes with 500 texts inclusive at £35 per month.

Handing over £30 per month to T-Mobile buys the same amount of texts and minutes as the new £30 O2 package, but it's flexible, so users can mix and match as their needs change. Unlike Flext's, however, O2's text bundle is inclusive of media messages.

Now the deals last the whole term, O2's value-boosted 18 month packages particularly put pressure on Flext contracts, which all last for 18 months.

Article Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/06/new_02_plans/

Point of order re the above article: "Unlike Flext's, however, O2's text bundle is inclusive of media messages." This is simply not so. T-Mobile's Flext does include MMS, which consume a higher amount of allowance than text messages, of course!

solo12002
6th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Can you check. Currently on flex I can get 302 mins and 297 text messages for £30 pounds

solo12002
6th July 2006, 09:31 PM
Oh I forget I wonder what they will change for data £3MB . T - Mobile still looking good

Hands0n
6th July 2006, 11:28 PM
With Flext on T-Mobile MMS are charged at £0.20p each, the same as a Voice Call. See their Flext Price Plan (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_flext_get&chosenPricePlan=pmt) page where, using the slider controls, you can see how many Voice, Text and MMS you can get for a given Flext plan.

gorilla
7th July 2006, 08:32 AM
These must be shop tariffs. I'm on online 200 which gives 200 xnet minutes and 500 texts. The inclusive minutes can be used for video calls, the inclusive texts include a combination of mms i.e. 1 mms = 1 sms. 1mb of data included.
That's a 12 month standard contract.

3GScottishUser
18th July 2006, 08:01 PM
Good to see they are still offering their 3G tariff at £35 a month for 750 X/Net mins and 750 texts. You get a free SE K800i too on that deal (TV Advertised).

The above certainly gives Flext a run for it's money and leaves the rest looking distinctly poor value in comparison.

PS: Its an on-line only deal according to the advert - www.02.co.uk