View Full Version : This is the train for 3G

Ben
8th July 2006, 10:58 AM
I'm on the train. Not on my own, of course, I'm accompanied by my faithful companions the T2XP and Vodafone 3G Connect.

Living in the South East I believe it is not too much to expect a pretty flawless service on a train. I'm travelling from Canterbury to London, so not exactly in the sticks, but so far the experience hasn't quite been as I'd expected it to be.

Infact, when we pulled away from Canterbury I had no Vodafone coverage at all - not even 2G. So, I sat and waited for a few moments, until I was eventually greeted with enough bars to get connected. Even then the connection was barely working and deathly slow, before finsally switching to 3G.

Great I thought, not a great start but now it'll be all-3G from here on in.

I thought too soon.

The connection soon dropped back to 2G and then cut out altogether. In fact, I've just gone through Paddock Wood, that's past Ashford International, and am still on 2G. As I type this I currently have no signal at all once more, with the Vodafone 3G connect frantically looking for signal before putting me back on 2G.

I know a lot, and I mean a lot of people commute from Canterbury to London because the journey is only about an hour and a half. Why then has this route, which I'd imagine attracts a lot of laptop use, not have wall to wall 3G? Infact, why is this busy route not covered at all in parts?

It's not like I'm travelling across India here, just into the centre of London. Wow, Tonbridge and the first stable 3G signal I've had!

If Vodafone and the other operators aren't careful this will be more like the last train for 3G. With HSDPA laptops coming out it's time to resolve these ongoing issues and get rail and major road networks fully covered. If the business traveller can't pay through the nose to get Internet on the move then nobody will.

Hands0n
8th July 2006, 11:18 AM
The irony is that same journey by road (A2) would probably result in a full-on 3G signal!

Last year I held a voice call on 3 from Dover to Gravesend without a single drop out. It started as 3G, and remained so all the way into the town. I did not have Vodafone at the time so cannot reflect if that would be the same.

Of late I have occasionally been "training" it in to London from the Gravesend and Dartford area, going to London Bridge or Cannon Street. The signal quality for Vodafone and T-Mobile is highly variable on the Train. But the same journey by road (A2 again) gives a rock solid signal save for one single spot (top of Swanscombe Cutting) which is a radio black hole for all of the networks, and has been forever!

I do not think that the rail tracks are at all well catered for - the emphasis being for roads, probably because of higher probability of usage than on a train. Which all sounds rather inverse to what one might expect it to be!

Yup, they've a way to go ...................

getti
8th July 2006, 04:18 PM
Im going to London from Torquay for the yearly 'What Mobile Meet' (about 4 1/2 hrs on the train!). Will be taking along a range of goodies but my main stuff will be my MacBook and Nokia E61. I have Wireless Web 56 on there so will be able to check out 3's coverage on the train.

Wont want to use much as the real use will be for the hotel room that night to upload pics and what went on at the meet

@NickyColman
8th July 2006, 08:49 PM
It must be the south that attracts bad signal lol. Up here in the North i have yet to find an area where i have no signal or patchy cover. The networks must have invested heavily to keep us covered! But either way, im a happy customer!!