View Full Version : SIM free and W'n'W

scuk
10th July 2006, 04:53 PM
I've been with T-mobile for 18 months and want to keep my current SIM because they've offered to reduce my monthly tariff to £8 (Flext 20) if I don't change handsets.

I want to buy a SIM free 3G phone (because the one I want itn't on T-mobile) and need to know if I can use Web 'n' Walk for 3G browsing / downloading with a non-T-mobile branded SIM free handset?

Thanks,
scUK

Ben
10th July 2006, 04:58 PM
Hello, welcome to Talk3G!

I'm not a T-Mobile user, but my guess is that yes, you can use your current T-Mobile SIM card in any unlocked/SIM-Free 3G handset without invalidating your current promotions.

I'm assuming that your current T-Mobile SIM card will support 3G services. As far as I am aware, it will.

scuk
10th July 2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Ben.

I just wasn't sure if the WnW add-on worked with 3G data, or if it only works with 2.5G. The T-mobile website isn't clear, and only refers to "mobile internet" (which is pretty non-specific).

Ben
10th July 2006, 09:16 PM
AFAIK it refers to any mobile (on-handset) browsing, regardless of access method.

Hands0n
10th July 2006, 11:35 PM
WNW works on 3G without any problem. I am using a T-Mobile supplied Nokia 6280 with WNW enabled. The 6280 uses Opera Mini via T-Mobile's OM server (thats the bit that does the screen reformatting etc...). But WNW is just Internet data, and so the Opera Mini is just specific in this case to the 6280. The N70 with WNW uses the Nokia-provided browser (I think it is Opera too).

Whether you are using 3G or 2.5G does not matter to WNW. It will work - just speedier with 3G of course.

T-Mobile handsets with WNW enabled use T-Mobile's own homepage which is nicely styled and set up with a superb series of links to a number of quite commonly used resources (i.e. News, Sport etc.). But you are completely free to browse off to anywhere on the Internet. The only limitation would appear to be the capability of your phone's browser.

Other apps that are working just fine for me over WNW include Google Maps, Sky by Mobile, Mobizines and a copy of the native Opera Mini (not the T-Mobile WNW version of it).

scuk
11th July 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the replies.

HandsOn do you happen to have the URL for T-Mobile's portal / homepage? I'm going to buy a Sony Ericsson M600i which looks great for mobile browsing.

Cheers.

Hands0n
11th July 2006, 04:24 PM
The T-Mohile portal/homepage seems to be http://www.t-mobile-favourites.co.uk and ..... best of all .... you can get that particular URL via your regular Internet browser on the PC too. All the linked-to pages are optimised for Mobile use, so can look a bit bare on the PC! But its nice to be able to "try before you buy" lol :D

solo12002
11th July 2006, 09:18 PM
Also try

http://www.t-zones.co.uk/en/Getting_started/index.html

scuk
12th July 2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies folks.

jeffster
15th July 2006, 12:15 AM
The M600i is indeed a great looking phone, but you wish to consider the SE W950i, which is the walkman version of the M600i - All the functions of the M600i, plus the great music playing ability of the SE walkman series, plus 4gig of inbuilt storage...

Check it out here :

http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/comingsoon/latest-phones.php/sony-ericsson/w950i

Thanks for the replies.

HandsOn do you happen to have the URL for T-Mobile's portal / homepage? I'm going to buy a Sony Ericsson M600i which looks great for mobile browsing.

Cheers.