View Full Version : The New Vodafone 3G Broadband Card (HSDPA, mini review)

Ben
11th July 2006, 02:07 PM
Well, I couldn't resist any longer. With my trusty 3G Mobile Connect bent almost in half and the grey plastic showing through the red coating it was time to treat myself. After initially being told in the Vodafone shop that a box-only 3G Broadband card would cost £350, a quick check on the computer system revealed that it would be mine for just £180 (box only, no SIM). Having expected a figure of around £250 I jumped at the chance to experience this new card without extending my contract.

I opened the box and nearly passed out. The card isn't being manufactured by Option. Anyone who has read reviews of Orange's early 3G data card will understand why I was immediately concerned when I read that Huawei were the manufacturers of this product, dubbed by them as the E620.

Fortunately my concerns appear to be largely unfounded. Vodafone's Mobile Connect software has advanced to Version 7, that's a full two or three version numbers from what I was on previously, but is almost identical to what I was used to on the 3G Mobile Connect card. It works just as flawlessly. The card itself also doesn't have the 'disco lights' that the option one did, instead having a smaller LED that stays static when connected rather than flashing rapidly. You have no idea how pleased I was to see this! The shape and size of the card is preferable to the old one in every way, and so far, touch wood, it's picking up signal well.

Now not being in central London I wont be able to experience '3G Broadband' HSDPA speeds yet. However, the connection reports 1.8mbps on 3G and 236.8kbps on 2G, indicating EDGE although I'm pretty certain no such network exists here in the UK for Vodafone. Oh if only I'd had this card to try out on my train journey the other day! Still, I fear many of the network related coverage problems, ie in tunnels, would be largely the same.

Of course I'll keep you all updated, but so far it's another flawless out-of-the-box experience from Vodafone. I should add that, unlike some other cards, this card supports Mac OS X with drivers on the CD.

Also unlike some other cards, like T-Mobile's Web n Walk Professional card, Vodafone does not restrict the use of VoIP or, more importantly, Instant Messaging. While Trustedreviews.com overlooked this (I informed them of the terms and conditions and, quite rightfully, they adjusted the T-Mobile cards score), I believe IM is crucial to the business space. It's certainly crucial to mine! Therefore, despite being twice the cost of T-Mobile's solution, I can absolutely recommend Vodafone over all of the competition for quality and performance. When it comes to your business, price, to a degree, isn't always an issue.

Fingers crossed for a smooth ride!