View Full Version : Wireless Web with a Pocket PC?

jerry.tracey
11th July 2006, 04:14 PM
I signed up to Three thinking, 'lovely, I can use my new phone as a modem for my Pocket PC, so I can browse the real www quickly and download and manage my e-mails with Pocket Outlook, like I with my GPRS O2 tarriff'. I phoned the call centre, after reading that I needed to install the connection software for the phone onto my laptop. 'Can I set my PPC up with the same connection information manually?' Nope, you can't use a 3UK phone as a modem for a PPC :eek:. Fortunately, I haven't actually signed up to Wireless Web yet

I suspect it is that they don't know how, so they just tell you that it can't be done. It was easy with my GPRS phone on O2 (Sony Ericsson K700i). It surely can't be difficult with my new phone (Sony Ericsson K800i - see a pattern emerging here?)

Anybody know if it's possible?

Regards

Jerry

Ben
11th July 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello :) Welcome to Talk3G!

You'd normally just pair the two devices over Bluetooth and then set the Pocket PC to dial *99# on the Bluetooth modem. You can try this before buying Wireless Web, but you'll only be able to browse Three's portal (if anything) until you buy the add-on.

Best of luck with it, I can see why the Wireless Web add-on would be attractive from a value standpoint to PDA users.

jerry.tracey
12th July 2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks Ben
That worked - an absolute doddle. I've signed up to Wireless Web 56, and I'm up and running.
For information, if anyone else that wants to do this and wants to set up their Pocket Outlook e-mail client, the outgoing SMTP server setting is, not surprisingly, smtp.three.co.uk. I just thought I'd try it, to see if it worked, and it did. The Incoming is obviously your own ISP's POP server address.
I've changed the baud rate from the slow GPRS setting and cranked it up to the max, and it's just like broadband in your hand. Fantastic! I'm chuffed to little pink ribbons, and grinning from ear to ear!
So if the Call Centre tells you something cannot be done, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!

Many MANY thanks, Ben

jerry.tracey
12th July 2006, 03:01 PM
I am in a weak signal area, and if the connection drops when I'm part way through opening a web-page or synchronising my mail, the Internet Globe icon disappears from the top row of my K800i's screen, and I can't connect again (either on the phone or via my Pocket PC) until I have switched the handset off and back on again. Is there any way of re-starting the web client on a K800i without having to switch it off and on? The Browser Icon in the main menu has been replaced with Three's Quick Menu.:confused:

Ben
13th July 2006, 03:40 AM
It sounds like you're possibly experiencing a software issue. On any other network, when in a weak 3G area you'd be handed over to the 2G network. This doesn't* happen on Three as they don't have their own 2G network, so instead a voice or data connection is most likely to terminate. However, you should, normally, be able to re-establish a connection again when you have sufficient signal.

Low signal on SE's sometimes means next-to-no signal. By my own experience with Nokia's by comparison, if there's a bar of signal then it's usable signal.

Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion for either resolution or a workaround!

*There are conflicting user experiences as to whether a handover exists in some form or another. I'm not a Three user so I cannot advise.

sffpc
26th November 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I'm on my third 3 phone now (v3x, which is much worse than my LG 8360 that unfortunately only lasted a year). I'm trying to get this v3x to act as a modem for my PDA (Dell x50v). Now with the Yahoo-sponsored free 32MB a month I could at least occasionally surf a few pages. Bluetooth link works fine however the *99# doesn't work the phone shows that it couldn't establish any connection - I don't even get to the user name or password stage which I can get to when I dial a regular style number (+44-...). Any idea how to make it work - given the general impression of customer services I don't think they could help.

Thanks a lot for your help.

chawbs
5th December 2006, 12:04 AM
Hi all

Well, after following the advice from this forum and three.co.uk itself, I have finally figured out how to connect my HP iPAQ hx2490 via bluetooth to the 3 network :-)

The built-in BT configuration sets up almost everything - and according to most other phones, they all just work! But not the LG u890! (I assume others). The connection is made, but gets dropped pretty quickly... The secret is in the modem setup commands...

Most sites say all you need is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
But that just would not stick. For the USB connection, three has a pdf document describing the connection:
http://www.three.co.uk/threefiles/pdf/Setup_of_LGU8XXX.pdf
Which points out that there is an extra setting required:
+cgatt=0 ; +cgdcont=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
(my AT commands are actually uppercase, but i'm sure that will not be a problem... just don't want to break it - lol)

Oh yes, you do have to fork out for the wireless web add-on, but it all seems worth it now that it is working!

Hope this can get a few more people on-line!

-DJ

ps. I have te following settings (just to give all details)
HP iPAQ hx2490
bluetooth paired with LG u890
LG has "generic bluetooth dial-up modem" selected in BT Connection Manager
Number to dial: *98# (I changed this from the standard *99***1# entered by the BT Manager)
Username / password / domain: all set to blank (no authorisation)
Click on 'Advanced' settings button to enter modem comands
Baud rate (as high as possible - not sure if it make a difference - will see when I do a download!)
Extra modem commands (note the spaces around the ';', did not seem to liek it without spaces ... or maybe it was just my spelling)
+CGATT=0 ; +CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
From then on it's just a case of saying that you want it to use that as the default connection - just watch out it does not go dial-up every few minutes to check email... could eat up the bandwidth!

Hands0n
5th December 2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Chawbs - welcome to Talk3G - excellent information, thank you for making the posting which I'm sure others who follow will be highly appreciative of. Its you folk who make Talk3G the goldmine of information that it is :)