PDA

View Full Version : Orange MMS Size Limit

Ben
15th April 2005, 04:52 PM
I've been trying to send a video message for an hour or more now... at only 220kb it was easily below the 300kb limit that I believe the 6680 imposes. AFAIK O2 at least can support sizes up to, and maybe over, this.

I was getting peeved off with the message failing, so called Orange. It turns out that the network limit on Orange is just 100kb! Apparently it will be upped at some point in the distant future, but no time soon.

Anyway, I managed eventually to send a video of just 4 seconds. How pointless does that make 3G video messaging!

miffed
15th April 2005, 04:58 PM
that's rather interesting ! almost "hidden charge" like , when comparing costs with other providers

Jon3G
15th April 2005, 05:39 PM
Not really 3G msg is it

3g-g
15th April 2005, 06:02 PM
My 3G nokia will send a 15/16 second video clip, and it's always under the 100k. As far as I'm aware the limit is imposed due to the closeness of the 2g/3g network currently, they still share a lot of the same resources, namely the MMS capabilities of the SGSN. If the limit was increased to say 500k it would have an adverse effect for the 2G users of MMS, as in messages would take much longer to send and receive.

Once the 3G network starts to take more people on board and the technology moves away from the 2g backbone, file size will become less important.

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 10:47 AM
That sounds fair cop, however I can send over that on Voda 3G, so hows that work

Ben
16th April 2005, 03:54 PM
Vodafone have a cap of 300k, the maximum most phones support, which is 3x Orange's. Orange's just doesn't make sense - it's like they're stuck in a time warp!

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 04:14 PM
It may be a Orange policy to save on bandwidth

Hands0n
17th April 2005, 10:23 AM
This is terrible!! They'd better get this sorted out before contract renewal in Dec 2005!! I have to start making my decisions around then and don't want Orange to be out of the loop :) The network should at least accommodate the maximum that a handset is capable of putting out! Especially as given these are mere videoclips rather than full on Tarrantino stylee feature films!

3GScottishUser
17th April 2005, 12:33 PM
I recall having this problem when i first got a SonyEricssson T-68i a few years ago on Orange. At the time you could only download small colour screensavers etc because of the cap on their MMS gateway. Things did improve eventually (after a couple of months I think) so perhaps it's a case of the demand having to be there before they will respond.

Hopefully they will allow bigger file transfers soon - contact Orange CS and make sure they know that you cant use all of the facilities on your phone with their network.

Ben
17th April 2005, 05:20 PM
I've emailed in my 'complaint', but at the moment Orange CS can't really help me with anything as the phone isn't launched. Still, surely the 6630 can take high quality(ish) video too... meh, anyway, I'll leave 350 alone for a while before they start charging me for the calls ;)

Frustrating :D