View Full Version : Network Branding: Help or Hindrance?

Ben
15th April 2005, 05:34 PM
We are all more than aware that network operators in the UK, and probably around the world, like to personalise the handsets they sell to emphasise their brand.

More often than not, it's not just the case that gets branded. Usually the network will require customisations of the handset operating system. Sometimes this is purely to add more logos and colour schemes, again reinforcing the brand image of the network, or sometimes it's to add extra features or change settings to make the handset more compatible with the services that network offers.

Recently a lot of handsets have fallen foul of network software branding. It would appear that bugs are all too easily introduced at this stage, and not ironed out before the phones are released to customers.

So what would you prefer? Handsets that ship with the manufacturers choice of operating system and set of features/settings, or handsets that ship customised to the network you're buying them on?

Ben
15th April 2005, 05:38 PM
I've voted for Hindrance. While I agree that it's great to have everything set up and ready to go on a new phone, I think this can be done without branding the operating system. As far as services compatability goes, the networks and handset manufacturers need to work better with each other to ensure the phones are shipping with the right selection of features installed in the first place.

By all means print your logo on the cover, but don't delay a phone for months on end while you try and edit the phone's software to give you maximum marketing space on handsets which are ultimately your customers property.

3g-g
15th April 2005, 05:57 PM
Same for me, I've voted hinderance.

The company logo on the handset is fine, surely that's enough to show any passers by, or someone who looks at your handset, which network you have chosen, I don't think you need to be reminded at every button press and WAP page you load. I think the "tinkering" with the actual SW takes away from the operation and release schedules of the handsets.

Once each network has the relevant SMS/MMS/GPRS/WAP settings installed I can't see the need to do anything else to it, I'm sure it must infuriate some people.

TheBrit
16th April 2005, 12:15 AM
Once each network has the relevant SMS/MMS/GPRS/WAP settings installed I can't see the need to do anything else to it...I agree with this completely.

Ben
16th April 2005, 01:52 AM
It's such a shame that the networks don't see it this way. What they're doing is so disruptive and unnecessary - if they really wanted to differentiate themselves then they should be concentrating on what their customers want instead of what they want to give them.

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 09:58 AM
I hate how networks brand the phone and mess with them so much. They screw the firmware stick badges on them and lock them. I thought Orange were bad, until I joined Voda and got a V800 first. My god the phone had 3 Voda logos on it and the firmware was just Voda Voda Voda.

I can say that o2 and T mobile are not that bad

Hands0n
16th April 2005, 05:07 PM
Hinderance - for example, I cannot attach MP3 to mms messages being sent from my H3 e1000 handset. Why not? Because H3 decided to have that feature disabled in their branded handset! Its my MP3 to do with what I want, who are they to say that I cannot (its not commercial music btw).

We're probably in the minority here - the rank and file can probably accept such limitations with nothing more than a sigh of disappointment. This will only encourage SIM-free manufacturer original market - if they decide to exploit these hinderances.

davidlove
20th April 2005, 09:19 AM
I say hindrance. It's like letting BT customise your PC's desktop, redirect your homepage and disable Control Panel settings. Ridiculous.

Once the operators learn that they are really just ISPs and that punters want to control their own "content", the problem will probably go away. In the meantime it must cause apoplexy in the Nokia boardroom, all their biggest customers trying to dilute their precious brand. Tesco plastered all over a can of Heinz baked beans? Please!

UK Voda recently gave me 12 months' half price line rental in lieu of a handset upgrade. That suits me fine. I just price in the cost of SIM free handsets into my "cost of ownership". Then at least I can get a reasonable price on eBay when I get dazzled by something smaller, faster, whatever.

Ben
22nd May 2005, 03:50 AM
I know 11 votes is hardly conclusive, but there's a very clear indication here that the networks are not listening to what the customer base actually wants. Perhaps unbundling airtime agreements from handsets is the future, but with devices getting increasingly complicated and requiring more and more settings and applications to be installed I can see how we've ended up where we are now. However, there's a very clear difference from WAP/MMS settings being pre-installed like a few years back and the torrent or branding and blatent customisations/restrictions being put into place today.

I'm encouraged by your 12 months of half price line rental, davidlove. I'll certainly be trying very hard to secure a cheaper contract instead of a new phone when I'm up for renewal. The only reason I upgraded on Orange was to get the damn USIM, and luckily Vodafone's are already compatible - so perhaps I've seen my last network branded handsets... (touch wood... just wait until OTV doesn't work on the SIM-Free 6680 Monday! There would be war... plain war...).

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 09:14 AM
Here in Australia, most phones are NOT network-branded; the exceptions that I can think of are Telstra's "i-mode" phones, vodafone's "vodafone live!" handsets and to a limited extent, all of 3's handsets.

So is it a good thing?

Yes and no.

3 brand their handsets with 1-2 external logos, a limited amount of locked 3-branded content (wallpapers, themes, etc...) and locked settings...

THIS is a good idea as it offers the full functionality of

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 09:19 AM
of a handset and allows you to customize the phone the way the manufacturer intended; you can even use unsecured MP3s as ringing tones and install other network's settings!

Whilst I can see where vodafone are coming from with their branding and think it is a great idea, I don't think they should sacrifice the phone's functionality in the process...

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 09:47 AM
There's no reason why vodafone can't offer a limited range of "vodafone live!" handsets WITHOUT over-branding...

Keep the "vodafone live!" idea alive, but don't go overboard!

I have voted that branding is a help... For now.

As long as the networks follow 3 Australia's lead, I will maintain this opinion; should they start to mimick vodafone, my decision will be reversed.

Hands0n
15th June 2005, 09:55 AM
Interesting comment re 3 Australia - 3UK's branding often cripples a phone's inherent capabilities. Mostly for content protection - i.e. not allowing BT file transfers etc.

I can fully accept branding (logo, screens, menus etc.) but have a distinct discomfort with functionality crippling!

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 03:53 PM
Cant agree more, No point in crippling the phone for network reasons

Its wrong

CybaCowboy
16th June 2005, 02:34 AM
Although 3 Australia brand their phones the least, I get the impression that they're trying to gradually force the type of branding found in Europe on us...

Australians aren't used to locked or branded handsets, so if 3 was to start branding their phones fully from day 1, it would further damage their reputation (considering they're ALREADY not thought of very highly here, they don't want to do that)!

Lets hope I'm wrong...

fat jez
24th July 2005, 01:10 AM
Hindrance, because it adds to the lead time before a handset can be launched by a network. By the time the code is written, the UI is approved by the marketing department, then the handset is tested, bugs are reported and fixed, etc it can add significantly to the delay before the handset is in the shops. If all the networks are using the same code base, you can cut out the marketing approval for the UI and bugs are found much more quickly by the increased numbers if triallest all using the same version of firmware.

Cheers,
Jez

cyberkid999
24th July 2005, 02:31 PM
Hinderance - for example, I cannot attach MP3 to mms messages being sent from my H3 e1000 handset. Why not? Because H3 decided to have that feature disabled in their branded handset! Its my MP3 to do with what I want, who are they to say that I cannot (its not commercial music btw).

We're probably in the minority here - the rank and file can probably accept such limitations with nothing more than a sigh of disappointment. This will only encourage SIM-free manufacturer original market - if they decide to exploit these hinderances.

and how big are the mp3s you are trying to attach? I assume you are aware that mms are only very small.....

cyberkid999
24th July 2005, 02:37 PM
I have an O2 branded 6630 which has got all features enabled and the branding is a theme which can be changed so its not problem at all (and its unlocked as standard)

I also had a Three branded one which like most of the other networks is locked so that 'could' be a hinderance. It also has the network menu hidden which again 'could' be a hinderance so all in all I would say network branding is not a problem UNLESS you get a vodgroan phone....

Hands0n
24th July 2005, 02:46 PM
and how big are the mp3s you are trying to attach? I assume you are aware that mms are only very small.....

Regardless, the branding in the E1000 specifically prohibits the attachment of any MP3 [irrespective of size] to an MMS. When the handset is unbranded the facility originally programmed in the Motorola OS is enabled. To answer your specific question "yes" I am aware of the MMS limitations and was attempting to operate within those constraints. With the handset de-branded the attachment and transmission was possible.

Three's branding is quite strong, they tend to cripple quite a few factory features.

The question is one of Help or Hinderance - any branding, unless it enhances the user experience, could then be considered a Hinderance if it has a disabling effect on the design intentions of the original manufacturer.

3GScottishUser
24th July 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure I agree that branding is a hinderence. For many users branding makes it easier to navigate the now bewildering range of complex services available on a modern handset. Companies like Vodafone have obviously spent a considerable amount researching the market and trying to develop products the build brand loyalty and improve the customer experience. Purists obviously prefer generic handsets but I suspect in the future branding will be one of the main reasons people will buy a particular deal. Cusomers like familiar things and its probable that most now accept that network branding is a positive benefit as long as its not too restrictive (like a walled garden policy or locked down mobile applications).

CybaCowboy
25th July 2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Vodafone "Simply" range is the perfect example of a situation in which branding CAN prove helpful if implemented correctly...

whatleydude
23rd August 2005, 11:01 AM
I voted Hindrance.

This came up in the Nokia focus group that I went to.. (see other thread)

Everyone in the group made it clear that the when they bought a phone they would like it to be exactly as it it is described on the Nokia website. The less tinkering by the networks the better..

ie: WHY oh WHY did Vodafone see fit to release the 6630 with a 32mb mem card when everyone else got a 64mb one?!

doh..

dgilbert2
23rd August 2005, 07:43 PM
If I could un-brand my Orange 6680, and it still worked (i.e. with Orange World Videos) the I WOULD.

BUT, currently it cannot be done successfully so I've grown to live with it.

I actually like being able to see on one screen how many missed calls, messages and appointments I've got.

Therefore although it will make me unpopular, I voted help. Sorry!

Ben
24th August 2005, 02:35 AM
Thanks to you, a solution for using pvplayer on unbranded orange series 60 handsets has now been found (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5872#post5872)! It's all good :D

Btw, the unbranded version of the OS also tells you how many messages and missed calls you have, along with upcoming appointments. Orange's attempt to create a consistently similar experience between handsets could be commended though. Should be optional, mind.

CybaCowboy
24th August 2005, 04:49 AM
If I could un-brand my Orange 6680, and it still worked (i.e. with Orange World Videos) the I WOULD.

BUT, currently it cannot be done successfully so I've grown to live with it.

I actually like being able to see on one screen how many missed calls, messages and appointments I've got.

Therefore although it will make me unpopular, I voted help. Sorry!

You realise that all Windows Mobile smartphones, including the upcoming 3G HTC Universal, automatically display all your upcoming tasks & appointments, missed calls, unread messages (instant messages/E-Mails/text messages/multimedia messages), etc...

It doesn't even matter if they're branded or not, as they will still display this information!

Not to mention the fact that they're a more stable operating system and far more powerful than any other phone on the market...