View Full Version : HTC 'TyTN' Windows Mobile Smartphone (TR)

Ben
18th July 2006, 01:17 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=7522&head=0

Sandra Vogel writes a mediocre review of the not-so-mediocre TyTN from HTC. Once you get past sentences like "As a device though, the TyTN itself though is far from a pain" it's not a bad review, though is very descriptive and includes an irrational rant about microSD!

From the verdict:
"I’d been waiting for a smaller format 3G connected Pocket PC for a long time, and the TyTN lived up to my expectations. It’s neat, tidy, well designed and pocketable. The keyboard works well and it is nice to see the scroll wheel return."

TR scores the TyTN with 7.5 out of 10. The device didn't pick up any recommended or editors choice awards.

Chewy
18th July 2006, 01:43 PM
I'm not surprised it loses most points for value. It's £560 sim free!!

With a contract subsidy tho it'll be no doubt more appealing....

Ben
18th July 2006, 01:56 PM
It's not in stock yet either, of course.

These HTC devices do indeed seem to be pushing Windows Mobile into more and more lives. I'm not a big fan of Windows Mobile myself, it's not 'Windows' and it's not a great mobile OS like Symbian either.

Still, the UMPC is upon us, and Sony has already indicated that UMPC can be sexy (http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2885), though not yet small enough to act as a mobile phone. I think the move to x86 in the mobile space will be an important one, leaving RISC based systems behind and paving the way for real computer-phones rather than the stopgap we have now. If my memory serves me correctly, Intel recently flogged it's RISC devision, signalling an end to the architecture is in sight.

That's all a long way off, of course. Bog standard PDA's need to fall to UMPC before handsets can, and Microsoft need to make full-blown windows more practical on smaller devices.

getti
18th July 2006, 09:57 PM
I'm not surprised it loses most points for value. It's £560 sim free!!

With a contract subsidy tho it'll be no doubt more appealing....

£560 is cheap!. Take a look at the JasJar, thats still over £600 and has been out a while already.

Vodafone have the TyTN on sale to certain business customers.... will try and find the model number now

Jon3G
19th July 2006, 07:56 PM
Its the Vodafone v1605

Cant find it on the voda website

Chewy
26th July 2006, 11:43 PM
So any sign of the TyTN/9600/Vario2 coming out soon???

getti
26th July 2006, 11:55 PM
TyTN is sim free from 9th August. Same time for the Vario 2 on T-Mob and Orange have it for testing. Due out in 2 weeks as the SPV M3100

Chewy
27th July 2006, 09:55 AM
Sweet, cheers getti :D

Chewy
31st July 2006, 10:03 PM
How much do you think T-mobile and other networks will want for the TyTN on a new contract...roughly?

getti
31st July 2006, 10:43 PM
TyTN out today sim free from mobile fun for £489.99. I decided to get one instead of a N93 and a P990i due to features and being future proof with HSDPA.

T-Mob are rumored to be starting HSDPA in August which would fit in with a TyTN launch also. If i get the job at T-Mob *fingers crossed* i can find out more

Chewy
1st August 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm almost certain to go with T-mobile next. Gotta mate who works there and he's gonna put me on the Friends & Family list for life, but he may be leaving soon, so i'll have to get in there pretty quick.

I'm not sure how much they'll be charging for the Vario II, but I may get either a Compact II or a Vario I for this year, then get the Vario II next year on an upgrade when the price comes down.

Even with the network subsidy I'm expecting T-mobile will want £200ish, maybe more....that's money i've not got at the moment! At least I could get one of the 2 i mentioned above for nowt!!

Besdies, T-mobile haven't even got the Vario II listed as coming soon, and I may not have the time to wait, if I wanna get in on the F&F deal!!

Shame I'd lose 3g for a bit tho (only with my main phone tho, gonna keep the v3x for going to the pub etc, until Xmas when I'll buy my Brother in law's 6280 :p )