View Full Version : Ofcom report on unlocking

hecatae
20th July 2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw_888/#content

worth a read

Hands0n
20th July 2006, 09:22 PM
An interesting read. Pity then that 3 do not adhere to their own clauses. I asked for an Unlock of a 6680 and they referred me back to the deler, who has now gone bust. I intend to pursue this with 3 further when I get a chance.

They really are a shabby bunch of bar stewards.

hecatae
20th July 2006, 10:20 PM
I emailed 3 about unlocking my 6680 purchased from ebay, had it since november.

Found out:

Contract it is registered to expires on 26th September Account number I need to give to get it unlocked And I can upgrade from 26th August

Hands0n
21st July 2006, 07:03 AM
That's good [for you] :D

I got treated like a pariah for daring to leave 3 and referred back to my dealer :(

I suggested that it was not a good way of getting me back later. The CS couldn't be less interested. Then the begging letters started to appear in my letter box. Marvelous things, shredders are.

3GScottishUser
21st July 2006, 10:28 AM
There appears to be a lot of complaints about 3 and their inability to satisfy customers with unlocking codes for handsets that are now outwith their contract term. I imagine there will be a lot of Nokia 3G handsets sitting gathering dust unless 3 provide the information folks need to use these devices on other networks.

It is quite often the case that parents handover out of contract handsets to children for their use but if they are restricted to what 3 offer (Expensive WePay) then that might not be an option worthy of consideration.

I suppose its now part of the equation when enetering into a contract deal to consider what happens to the handset when it expires. Phones that are difficult to unlock are less saleable and one would have to look at what the PAYG potential was with the 'contract' network I suppose. I guess Vodafone or 02 might be a sound bet as they both have good PAYG deals now with lots of extra free talk time thanks to 'free weekends', 'stop the clock' 'bolt-on's' and 'treats'.

At least one can still change a SIM on most phones and revert to PAYG or vice versa, something you can't do when 'glue' is involved.