View Full Version : 3 UK To Shaft Dealers by Selling Direct

3GScottishUser
15th April 2005, 07:48 PM
From Mobile Today (15/04/2005):

3 is to boost its direct sales following a trial that has run since the beginning of the year.

Direct sales will be pushed through adverts in the national press. A spokeswoman told Mobile: ‘We are going to be selling direct following a trial we’ve been running.’

Direct sales create fear among high street retailers that they will not be able to match prices. 3 is hoping to counter this by pegging prices to those offered on the high street.

‘The deals will be the same as our retail stores offer,’ she added. O2, T-Mobile and Orange frequently offer online or direct deals even their own retail stores cannot match.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_294.shtml

Hands0n
16th April 2005, 05:57 PM
Do they say where the Direct Sales will be handled from? Its doomed if its from Mumbai .

Will 3 really "shaft dealers" though? If the later part of the posting is honoured, that they'd peg to those deals offered on the high street. I wonder, also, if the 'net dealers can do better still with their offers through lower business costs and therefore wider margins to play with.

People power will win out I reckon. I much prefer the small independent dealer (even if they don't often last more than a few years in the business).

Aye carrumba! A lot of "ifs" in there!!

miffed
16th April 2005, 06:45 PM
Three's ability to look after customers over the phone is so bad it is almost legendery - the Whole idea if the same goons successfully keeping customers happy on a sales front is absolutely laughable - who can imagine the kind of chaos this will bring ?
Add to this the rumours of the 3points closing , and I'd say Threes only hope of shifting handsets will be through the multiples - so best they don't upset them !

3GScottishUser
16th April 2005, 07:03 PM
Its not as daft an idea as it appears at first.

OK it'll annoy the independents but the multiples will still get loads of support from 3.

I bet that it'll actually cost 3 UK less to selll direct rather than providing the levels of subsidy and marketing support that has been apparent lately.

Hands0n
16th April 2005, 07:16 PM
The independents will walk away if Three get all silly about this. There is only so much hassle the inde's will stand. They have the big four to make their money off.

3GScottishUser
16th April 2005, 07:28 PM
I suspect you'd have to be a very silly independent to rely on 3 for a living. One look at their track record in terms of continuity is all that is required.

Feast and famine....... and who can run a business on that?