View Full Version : LG U8120-Data Transfer Problem

Alio
22nd July 2006, 09:16 PM
When I was on "3" some time ago I had a LG U8120.

I ended up giving the phone to my wife as I found the 3 service a bit crap, and she only used it to make calls.........

Anyway she wanted to get the pics and videos she had taken off the phone and print some of the pics........"No problem - got the LG U8120 CD, loaded it to my pc......it wouldn't connect to the phone, tried it on my lap top - no joy.

I gave it to a friend and he couldn't get the data off either.......using my LG U8120 CD and his own.

So I thought I may be able IR the files off......that doesn't work either, no feature to do it!

Thought about mms'in them off.....it works but it would cost a fortune, plus the file gets compressed to much, no good if you want to use the pic to print.

So stuck with a phone that has a load of great family pics on it that I cant get off.........

Any ideas people?

Hands0n
23rd July 2006, 10:07 AM
Hmmm, you're going to have to get to the bottom of why the handset will not communicate with the PC using LG's own desktop software. For it to misbehave on two different PCs suggests either the handset USB is faulty or your install method could be the cause.

I have successfully used the LG software on U8110 and U8120 on a number of PCs, never having any issues. But the installation is a bit clunky, during which [I think] up to four sets of driver installs have to occur, and these only happen after the handset is plugged in.

Significantly, the handset should not be plugged in before the software is installed - did you do that? If you did then you'll have to strip out all entries in the PC's registry that relate to the LG handset (i.e. HKLM\SOFTWARE\LG Electronics - there may be more). Then reinstall the software, after which you should plug in the handset.

Try that and see how you get along. If it still does not work then the USB on the handset must be suspect! You could be stuck if it is.

What software version is the handset on (Menu 9, 2, 5) - you really want it to be 105+.

Alio
23rd July 2006, 12:24 PM
Hmmm, you're going to have to get to the bottom of why the handset will not communicate with the PC using LG's own desktop software. For it to misbehave on two different PCs suggests either the handset USB is faulty or your install method could be the cause

I had installed the software first.....then connected the phone!

I have unistalled the software and re-installed it a few times.......still no joy, ports seam to be operating fine aswell, I think it may be the USB on the phone that is faulty as you suggested!

I have used SE pc cd's & Nokia pc cd's loads of times before to transfer stuff about, and am pretty familiar with the installation process, however it was some time ago since I tried getting the pics off the LG phone......I'll check what software version is on the handset, and double check that the entries have been properly dumped from the registry aswell and try again........Oh Joy!

Hands0n
23rd July 2006, 12:41 PM
USB is great when it works - and its a right tart when it doesn't. I'm at this very moment fighting an iPAQ PDA that has decided to log in as "Guest" to Activesync. I did fix this one, but have forgotten what I did, and of course didn't back up that particular bit of information :( Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Have you any LG Service software that you can use to test if the phone is actually communicating via its USB pins? Alternatively, can you get the handset to link using COMx: ports?

Alio
23rd July 2006, 01:11 PM
Have you any LG Service software that you can use to test if the phone is actually communicating via its USB pins? Alternatively, can you get the handset to link using COMx: ports?

No cant check the pins....no service software :(

Im currently still looking for the LG pc cd.......it was a while ago when I dabbled with it.........I'm sure I threw the bloody cd near the fish pond last time I had it:D

I'll keep you posted "HandsOn" cheers mate:)

Ben
23rd July 2006, 01:39 PM
I'm sure I threw the bloody cd near the fish pond last time I had it:D
There are surely few more deserving spots for it to spend its days ;)

Is there no Bluetooth way around this issue? The U8120 did have Bluetooth... right? :o

Hands0n
23rd July 2006, 08:16 PM
A ZIP of the LG Phone Manager can be found here (http://uk.wowlg.com/uk/phones/h_mnsw_list.jsp?&pages=5) (actually, all their phone software is here!), it is 52.4 bytes in size, so you'd better have broadband :D

Save it to disk first. Then unizip it and enjoy :D

Alio
24th July 2006, 12:09 AM
Ok......got download......will have a play around with it all and let you know :)

"Ben" Is there no Bluetooth way around this issue? The U8120 did have Bluetooth... right?

If only it did have Bluetooth......could of wizzed all the pics and stuff off in no time........and then thrown it back in the cupboard again:D

Cheers Guys ;)

Hands0n
24th July 2006, 06:55 AM
Bluetooth on the LG U8xxx series didn't arrive until [I think] the 8360, just had a quick check on Three's website. It was a long time coming. There was a secondary Bluetooth adapter that could be bought, it bulked the handset out to another 50% larger!!

Ben
24th July 2006, 12:53 PM
Bluetooth on the LG U8xxx series didn't arrive until [I think] the 8360, just had a quick check on Three's website. It was a long time coming. There was a secondary Bluetooth adapter that could be bought, it bulked the handset out to another 50% larger!!
Wow. LG really did claw their way into the UK market kicking and screaming, eh!?