View Full Version : 3G Data Speeds.

3g-g
15th April 2005, 10:00 PM
Have you wondered to yourself, "I'm thinking about getting one of those new 3G mobile phones to help my business while I'm out visiting customers, I think it's practically broadband for your mobile" to quote a tag line, but you're not really sure what type of speeds you'll get? Well, I'd say the average home DSL/Cable speed has to be around the 512 kilobits per second, so if you can imagine that you'll have a fair enough comparrison to the speeds in the list below. The speeds illustrated are in kilobits per second.

GSM is 2G. Below are all 2G data transport technologies:

Type: GSM
Standard: CSD
Peak Data Speed: 9.6 / 14.4
Typical Data Speed: 9.6
Connection Type: Circuit Switched Data

Standard: HSCSD
Peak Data Speed: 28.8 / 43.2
Typical Data Speed: 28.8
Connection Type: Circuit Swiched Data

Standard: GPRS
Peak Data Speed: 115 / 171
Typical Data Speed: 50
Connection Type: Packet Data

Standard: EDGE
Peak Data Speed: 384 / 513
Typical Data Speed: 115

UMTS is 3G. Below are the two types of data transport technologies being implememnted within the UK.

Type: UMTS
Standard: FDD
Peak Data Speed: 384 / 2000
Typical Data Speed: 144

Type: UMTS
Standard: TDD
Peak Data Speed: 384 / 2000
Typical Data Speed: 144

If any of the acronyms are confusing you can read this post (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78) that explains the most common ones. If you find any you still don't understand create a new post or reply to this one and we'll help you out.

One thing to remember about both GPRS/EDGE and UMTS technologies is that the more users on a site the lower the speeds are likely to be. With GPRS and EDGE you'll be relying on less voice traffic taking up the timeslots on the radio channel and with UMTS the more users (or load) on a cell removes some of the bandwidth from each user, each site having a limited bandwidth it can supply to each handset requesting it.

There are various websites that can take you into the depths of these new technologies if you wish to find out more. You can see a brief description and find a link to those here. (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93)