View Full Version : Building your own Desktop system?

Hands0n
25th July 2006, 12:30 AM
Clipped from Aria.co.uk

Anybody taking on the challenge of building a new system will love this... There has been a major, I repeat MAJOR price drop on all AMD and Intel CPU's! Like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 512K, was £160 and now... £99.89!!! That's over £60 off!

Bugger! I spent more than than on a single core Athlon 64 earlier this year ..... rats!

If you're into buying technology bits I can recommend aria.co.uk for their prices and range of goods. They have a Hyundai 32" HD Ready LCD TV for £581.63 inc vat. It is very well specced and as far as I can tell it is probably one of the cheapest 32" LCDs on the market.

Satisfied customer, no other connection. :cool:

Ben
25th July 2006, 01:16 AM
Hehe, since Intel arrived on the scene with some processors worthy of a market leading company AMD has dramatically slashed prices by around 50% in some instances I believe. Intel's new 64-bit mobile processor will also see the current Core Duo's drop in price, and the Core 2 Duo release will surely see Pentium prices hit the floor.

It has to be great time to build a PC!

3GScottishUser
25th July 2006, 02:19 AM
Do you really think its worth it. Just take a look at the spec that Dell offer for the price and then price the components and the software.... its hard to beat the big manufacturers as they pay a lot less than we would due to the volumes they buy.

Earlier this year a friend asked me to build him a decent spec PC and showed me what Dell offered for £700 - I could not get close to it with legal software etc.

£500 buys a hell of a powerful machine now with all the bells and whistles!!

Hands0n
25th July 2006, 07:48 AM
That is true enough. But there is a certain satisfaction to be gained from building your own. Plus you get exactly what you want, rather than what someone else decides you should have for your £500 or whatever. Anything bespoke costs more than factory line commodity product.

If anyone asks me to build for them I always tell them that it will be more expensive. Much cheaper alternatives are to assemble larger chunks. For instance, LCD from Aria, built chassis from Ginger6 and suchlike. Or go the whole hog, as you say, and buy a complete system from Dell or one of the otehrs.

But the appeal of building is strong, judging by the gatherings at the regular Sunday computer fairs.