View Full Version : Price Plans for August 2006

solo12002
27th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Follow the line for this months price plans. I dont see any thing new even from vodafone or three unless I missed it or its going to be hot of the press next week>

http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/comms/content.asp?DBID=9642

getti
27th July 2006, 09:49 PM
I see 3 have the Nokia N73 listed on there

getti
27th July 2006, 09:53 PM
Also the P990i, SPV M3100 (TyTN) and the Nokia N73 are listed for Orange

solo12002
27th July 2006, 10:13 PM
LOl good points but no changes to price plans. There was talk that three were changing theres to match flext also talk of Vodafone doing theres

getti
27th July 2006, 10:20 PM
The 3 change has been confirmed to go ahead in August without fail

3GScottishUser
28th July 2006, 12:28 PM
As far I am concerned I now get more than enough minutes and texts with just about all of the networks on a £25 - 35 a month price plan.

One can only use so much and I like to have a life that includes other activites other than chatting and texting on a mobile.

The networks themselves have 'sussed' this too and now all of them have bigger bundles that for the vast majority of users should be more than sufficient to cover their monthly needs. Even Vodafone's basic on-line 200 tariff goes a long long way now when used in conjunction with 'Stop the Clock'. 02, Orange and T-Mobile seem to provide plenty too on their £35 a month deals now.

Like many i tend to have rollover minutes every month so I dont really care if they change the deal from what i have already. I reckon I use about 300 minutes on average and some of those are off peak so I am well within my monthly allowance and I only use texts occasionally so 250 a month is probably more than double what I need.

I'm sure the double minutes and the like promotions work well enough to attract interest but I am pretty convinced that most will never use all the extra talktime and the networks know that most will probably stick to their normal calling pattern.

Its good to see better value packages now appearing but I suspect we are now reaching the point where there is little to choose between the netwoks at the sensitive price points. Add-Ons like Internet access and data are now becoming the thing to look for and HSDPA and range of services (like TV) will influence choice.

The days when networks could just play oneupmanship in terms of quantity of minutes and texts included in packages is nearing its end I suspect.

Ben
28th July 2006, 12:40 PM
Mhm, never underestimate the mobile usage of the young ;)

There's value in a good number of tariffs now, I agree, but what we still don't have in most cases is the flext™ibility to use that value as needed. It's still hard to find that illusive perfect-fit tariff and I suspect a great number of people still run over their inclusive minutes, texts, MMS or data provisions simply through a lack of pricing clarity.

Flext, of course, largely puts an end to that - but the networks can still go further, and they must. The current state of affairs is no excuse for anyone to be resting on their laurels.

solo12002
28th July 2006, 01:07 PM
I agree what a lot of whats been said. however stop the clock only applies to some price plans not all. Vodafone has done or is doing something in respect of the bundled MMS use.

While I have a issue with t-mobile and currently dont have a contract with them I like what they offered in that you are given an amount to spend and its up to you how you spend it therefore you could use it all on call, text or both unlike all of the other networks were you have a limit on the mins or the texts.

On top of this NO ONE has to date matched t-mobile web and walk.in that for £7 pound spend month you have good web access or for £10 pounds per month you have a 2GB limit.

Ben is right the networks should do more I would like to see a price plan were you pay a monthly fee, gain a monthly amount but you have the choice to spend it on calls, text,mms, video calls and web. T-mobile have made a step towards this.

I think its about time the networks stop things like passport,stop the clock long weekend etc that only apply to some of their price plan or were you have to op into it ie my europe for cheaper roaming which does not do whats its claimed to do in that its only running to sept/oct and you have to op in.

Ben
28th July 2006, 01:46 PM
I think its about time the networks stop things like passport,stop the clock long weekend etc
I actually agree. Give me clear, concise tariffs with up-front value any day.

whatleydude
28th July 2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah - bugs me that STC is only available on 18mth contracts too...

Grr.

3GScottishUser
28th July 2006, 02:30 PM
I don't think i would want to part with Passport as its by far the cheapest way to remain in cost effective seamless communication whilst around Europe.

I have to agree though that it would be better having simpler pricing and that means price cuts that are easy to see.

I suppose its like the supermarkets though who will do just about anything but reduce prices on the shelves. BOGOF's 3 for 2's buy this get that free etc etc.... All very good if you need that extra product but as I stated above most buying a contract will have already worked out their needs and double this or that for a limited period won't really make that much difference.

It's interesting to note that only one network seems to be desperately trying to increase average monthy contract spends. Not long ago you could get just about any handset on a £25 or £30 a month deal and on Vodafone and 02 that is still the case if you opt for the 18 month option. 3 UK have been very stealthy and have offered most of their new handsets on heavy price plans, made to look less with 1/2 price line rental and cashbacks. Most of the good stuff now advertised is on VTT 700 and VTT1100 which are £35 and £45 a month respectively. So even when you get your 6 months 1/2 price on your shiney new N80 you'll still be forking out £675 over the contract period..... not the bargain the £22.50 a month headline seems!!

It really is buyer beware out there and one has to be very careful to look beyond promotional periods and work out the true cost before jumping in to what seems like a great deal.