View Full Version : Orange Scrap Ovp!!

getti
1st August 2006, 01:44 PM
As of 13.00 today, Orange are scrapping the OVP (Orange Value Promise).

More info when i can get it

Ben
1st August 2006, 01:56 PM
I guess this has been coming for some time. OVP has been limited to say the least for years now.

Yet another Orange innovation bites the dust and falls into a world of charges for itemised billing, charges for delivery receipts and naming tariffs after animals :(

crowfield99
3rd August 2006, 08:24 PM
A serious questions!! With also the Push to Talk thats going should I move away from Orange? T-Mobile looks very good at the moment...

getti
3rd August 2006, 10:25 PM
YES YES YES!!. Orange are going backwards and fast!. T-Mob seem to be the best up and coming network now with the best offerings

crowfield99
3rd August 2006, 10:34 PM
YES YES YES!!. Orange are going backwards and fast!. T-Mob seem to be the best up and coming network now with the best offerings

So So Sad about this and Orange. They are wanting to create One Brand for ALL your needs.

Seem to be taking things away :mad:

3g-g
3rd August 2006, 10:44 PM
So So Sad about this and Orange. They are wanting to create One Brand for ALL your needs.

Seem to be taking things away :mad:

Is the tariff you're on just now a OVP one? Do you currently use PTT? If you've answered no to both of those questions then what is it you're moving away from? Were those offerings something that you were thinking about taking up to stay with Orange?

I agree, some of the things Orange used to do set them apart from the other operators, however, I wouldn't say it was going backwards, more of just becoming the same as the others! Remember, no other operator in the UK gives you Broadband for nothing if you take a £30+ tariff, and for most, as that's where the majority of offers are, take the thirty pound plus choice :confused:

crowfield99
3rd August 2006, 11:02 PM
Im not on the OVP Plans no - I am on the Direct Online one 300 Mins/500 Texts for £35 month.

I dont use Push to Talk as much as texting, that’s been around longer but have 6 people in my list. Has its uses if you know what I mean. Can live without it – just don’t understand why they want to remove something that COULD make them money even if its only to Orange users currently?

But I understand they are not a charity so they wont keep something that’s costing them more than the revenue they are getting.

But the Free Broadband.... Is it FREE?
You have to sign up for an 18 month contract, pay over £30 a month and its limited to 2G a month. I know its a start and should not whinge - But more and more places are now offering free Broadband I feel they are going to miss out...

Also the more you have from the one company, the less choice you have.. They will always tie you in one way or another. I like the Setup I have now. AOL Broadband, BT home phone & Orange Mobile. I can change all three of them (Within reason of course) to any provider I like.

3g-g
4th August 2006, 12:14 AM
But the Free Broadband.... Is it FREE?
You have to sign up for an 18 month contract, pay over £30 a month and its limited to 2G a month. I know its a start and should not whinge - But more and more places are now offering free Broadband I feel they are going to miss out...

Also the more you have from the one company, the less choice you have.. They will always tie you in one way or another. I like the Setup I have now. AOL Broadband, BT home phone & Orange Mobile. I can change all three of them (Within reason of course) to any provider I like.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, all of my services are provided by different companies, Sky, BT, Orange, Demon... What you say is very true, you get the choice of being able to play company against company to get best value. But back to the broadband question, lets just say Joe Bloggs for arguments sake goes to Three, picks a £35pcm 18month plan, gets 500mins and 500texts a month, thats it. Whereas Orange do the same, except you get Broadband chucked in for no extra cost, you would of been stuck with the mobile contract no matter what you did anyway?

It's only the start, it could of probably been more, bigger/no cap, then I'm sure they'd of been fighting people away at the doors of the Orange shops as everyone tried to get a "decent" freebie! I seem to remember not that long ago Orange did a deal with Avon, that if you spent more than £40 or whatever you got a free Orange PAYG phone, the demand was so high for that Orange had to pull out as they ran out of handsets trying to keep up with the number of orders! Offers like those are the kind of things that get people over the door and onto the network.

3GScottishUser
4th August 2006, 12:29 AM
Yep.... I like and go for simple to understand offers that make real sense.

Half price this, double that - OK if it fits your needs but all that tripe is usually limited period nonsense that does nothing but reduce the headline pricing.

Free Broadband is something different.... and Orange dont charge to connect or charge to disconnect (unlike TalkTalk), you just have to have a £30 a month contract and with deals like Canary 30 providing 325 X/net mins + 100 SMS + 100 On-Net Mins Off-Peak a month + Free Voip calls to UK landlines off-peak.... there are some very long term benefits.... especially when you also get a free wireless router and a free Nokia N80 which means you can browse anywhere in range for free on your phone!

OVP was good in it's day but when the offers are hybrid and now cover a range of converged services it's understandable that OVP's time has now passed. Orange now has to rely on it's own appeal and customer benefits, which presently appear superior to simplistic 'price matching'.

Hands0n
4th August 2006, 01:53 PM
The problem for many will be whether to take up the bundling or not. I'd hazard a guess and suggest that many mobile users are also Sky customers. Sky are now bundling Tınternet wıth their basic package and no apparent data caps - with higher broadband speeds if required, at a price. And so it goes on. No doubt the likes of Tesco and Virgin will be coming along to the party.

The loser would appear to potentially be the Customer! There is not, yet, a suitable one size fits all.

timothythetim
4th August 2006, 02:10 PM
The problem for many will be whether to take up the bundling or not. I'd hazard a guess and suggest that many mobile users are also Sky customers. Sky are now bundling Tınternet wıth their basic package and no apparent data caps - with higher broadband speeds if required, at a price. And so it goes on. No doubt the likes of Tesco and Virgin will be coming along to the party.

The loser would appear to potentially be the Customer! There is not, yet, a suitable one size fits all.
The sky broadband offer does seem to be a good one.
I currently pay 25 quid a month for NTL 4MB uncapped, whereas sky are offering me 16MB for a tenner a month.
I can see sky making quite a big impact with this offering. Even the basic free sky broadband is much better than all the other "free" broadband offers.
I'm just took out an orange £30 a month contract, but the lure of free broadband wasn't strong enough to make me take out an 18 month rather than a 12 month contract.

By the way, does anyone know how the new sky broadband will work? They say it's on their "own network" that they are rolling out, but is that ADSL etc. or what?

3GScottishUser
4th August 2006, 02:48 PM
The Sky offer is dependent on you living in an area where they have completed installation of their own equipment in BT's exchange. If your exchange is'nt suitably equipped then its Sky Connect at £17 a month I'm afraid.

The service is identical to BT's offering - ADSL but may be a little faster due to higher capacity backbones that third parties have in place.

TalkTalk is a bit naughty as its 'free' deal is subject to a connection fee and a disconnection fee!! (£29.99 + £75.00) and again their service price depends on LLU - if they dont have your area covered then its £10 a month more.

Orange from what I can gather is the only free Broadband and is available everywhere BT have a service because Orange simply resell BT's IPStram product. They are giving away BB access to get mobile contract uptake and you get the full (up to) 8MB ADSL free with a 2GB monthy download limit for as long as you keep your £30 a month Orange contract phone (Minimum 18 month contract).

Hope the above helps...

timothythetim
4th August 2006, 03:07 PM
The Sky offer is dependent on you living in an area where they have completed installation of their own equipment in BT's exchange. If your exchange is'nt suitably equipped then its Sky Connect at £17 a month I'm afraid.

The service is identical to BT's offering - ADSL but may be a little faster due to higher capacity backbones that third parties have in place.

TalkTalk is a bit naughty as its 'free' deal is subject to a connection fee and a disconnection fee!! (£29.99 + £75.00) and again their service price depends on LLU - if they dont have your area covered then its £10 a month more.

Orange from what I can gather is the only free Broadband and is available everywhere BT have a service because Orange simply resell BT's IPStram product. They are giving away BB access to get mobile contract uptake and you get the full (up to) 8MB ADSL free with a 2GB monthy download limit for as long as you keep your £30 a month Orange contract phone (Minimum 18 month contract).

Hope the above helps...
Cheers.
Yeah, Sky say that it should be available in my area "shortly".
As soon as it's available, it's cheerio to NTL.

solo12002
4th August 2006, 06:54 PM
" Yep.... I like and go for simple to understand offers that make real sense.

Half price this, double that - OK if it fits your needs but all that tripe is usually limited period nonsense that does nothing but reduce the headline pricing"

Then why do you like passport so so much when you dont get it on all plans etc!

simax
6th August 2006, 12:29 AM
OK - after 4 months away I'm back! :D

Ok - the craic is as follows

OVP was disbanded on 1st August at 12:45.

Anyone on an OVP plan will keep it, however they'll not be able to change to another OVP plan in the future. Only the Core plans - or an Animal plan if they fall into the upgrade policy.

Let's be honest - Hmmmmm--- OVP O2 250 at £35 a month.. 250 mins and 50 texts

or

Dolphin 35 - £35 with 500 mins and UNLTD texts and magic numbers and free broadband?

or

Racoon 35 £35 with 500 mins, UNLTD landline calls, 200texts and free broadband?

OVP is now dead for the right reasons in my opinion.

Simon

PS: OVP will remain for retentions deals - Ie: 3 deals and Flext deals etc etc.

Ben
6th August 2006, 02:27 AM
PS: OVP will remain for retentions deals - Ie: 3 deals and Flext deals etc etc.
Wb! I was gunna say, OVP Flext would be cool... shame they don't offer it to new customers.