View Full Version : PAYG Web'N'Walk £1/Day

3GScottishUser
2nd August 2006, 02:28 PM
T-Mobile Pre-Pay customers can now surf the internet from their mobiles for a maximum charge of £1 a day.

The Web 'n' Walk service, launched yesterday, costs less than penny a kilobyte, with a cap at £1 per day and all usage beyond that free.

The service, which had previously been limited to customers paying monthly, boasts no cap on usage and no limitations on the websites customers can visit, though those wanting to access sites of an "adult" nature will need to prove they are over the age of 18.

The service is currently only be available on the Motorola v3 RAZR and Nokia 6131, though support for more handsets is promised before Christmas.

Web 'n' Walk is a great service for accessing websites from your mobile phone (if you have the right handset), but woe betide anyone who tries to use the tariff with their laptop, use Voice over IP, or even watch a streaming video from the internet.

T-Mobile makes it very clear in its terms and conditions that such behaviour will not be tolerated and, if detected, will result in a stern warning followed by a reduction in service.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/02/tmobile_web_walk/

Ben
2nd August 2006, 02:37 PM
Less than a penny a kilobyte? It'd have to be significantly less to be worth mentioning because at the existing rate of, say, 0.73p/KB you're still going to get to that magic meg super fast! :(

3GScottishUser
2nd August 2006, 04:29 PM
Still £1 a day looks like another market shaker from T-Mobile!!

I think the capped idea will produce some revenue for T-Mobile as most folks just dont know how to calculate data/wap/gprs. Knowing you can browse all day for a maximum of £1 takes the guesswork out of using the service.

Ben
2nd August 2006, 04:59 PM
Indeed, it's still a good thing - like when Orange were doing PAYG access at £1/day, though this straightforward cap is simpler still.

What annoys me is that they haven't brought the cost/MB down. This is still, potentially, £30 a month for what could be just 4MB of data :( I mean, seriously, that's dire.

Edit: Infact, that's more than dire, they should be shot :D This is assuming a PAYG data rate of £7.50/MB.

crowfield99
3rd August 2006, 08:27 PM
Can they now bring Video Calling to PAYG please :D

hecatae
3rd August 2006, 10:24 PM
Indeed, it's still a good thing - like when Orange were doing PAYG access at £1/day, though this straightforward cap is simpler still.

orange still do £1 for 24 hours gprs on PAYG.

miffed
4th August 2006, 04:14 PM
I am using the Orange GPRS (payg - £1 per day) at the moment (via my universal / Macbook) and TBH it seems really good - when I have browsed directly on the universal the speed seems MUCH faster than the T-mobile web&walk GPRS does
What really winds me up about Orange though , is that they will not offer ANYWHERE NEAR as good value to me as a contrct customer , on either of my active contract accounts - but are more than happy to let me use my PAYG solely as a vehicle for £1 a day access with no other spending whatsoever !

At least T-mobile are trying to make sure all their customers are catered for to some level ( listen and learn orange :D )

solo12002
5th August 2006, 10:04 AM
" I am using the Orange GPRS (payg - £1 per day)" Sorry if anyone else is using this every day 28 - 31 pounds per month, you be better of buying the t-mobile data card with a 2gb limiit for £20 PPM

3g-g
5th August 2006, 12:22 PM
" I am using the Orange GPRS (payg - £1 per day)" Sorry if anyone else is using this every day 28 - 31 pounds per month, you be better of buying the t-mobile data card with a 2gb limiit for £20 PPM

Not to be pedantic in anyway, and yes I know the T-Mobile card is great value, but lets have a look at what you'd get using the Orange £1 PAYG on 2G GPRS speeds for a month.

At 28.8k you could theoreticly move 1.6MB of data a min, which is 96MB in a hour. Over 24hrs you could move 2.25GB, so we're already over T-Mobile's limit for the month! And this is just GPRS! Run that for 28 days, paying your £1 each time and you could have moved 63GB of data (nearly 70GB if it was a 31 day month).

Now, I don't think any of the networks fair usage policies extend to that amount of data use, so I think £28/31, if all you were going to do was data is fairly good value! Someone else can go work out what that comes out as per MB for a month!

Ben
5th August 2006, 01:36 PM
Well you're nearly there ;)

28.8kbps is 3.6KB/sec, which is 216KB/min, 12.65MB/hour and 303.75MB/day. That's a maximum of 8.9GB's over 30 days if the connection were used non-stop.

GPRS shifts along quite a bit faster than 28.8kbps, of course, so I'm mostly just being pedantic! :p

3g-g
5th August 2006, 02:45 PM
Well you're nearly there ;)

28.8kbps is 3.6KB/sec, which is 216KB/min, 12.65MB/hour and 303.75MB/day. That's a maximum of 8.9GB's over 30 days if the connection were used non-stop.

GPRS shifts along quite a bit faster than 28.8kbps, of course, so I'm mostly just being pedantic! :p

Oh, you divide by 8 or something don't you!? Kilobits... Kilobytes... :confused: GPRS is pretty poor speed wise, so 28.8 I felt was bigging it up somewhat! Ah well, it's not the most scientific reasoning, however, you still could potentialy move a fair old bit more of data than say T-Mob would allow for their £20pcm.

miffed
5th August 2006, 05:09 PM
Another couple of points to consider ....

1) I only really need access for about 10 days per month - and even that is not a regular thing

and

2) My Macboock doesn't have a PCMCIA slot ! - Although I did consider getting the W&W pro add on to one of my T-mobile accounts and using my Universal as a modem

All things considered , the Orange PAYG option seemed least painless

Ben
5th August 2006, 06:06 PM
Vodafone have a HSDPA USB dongle comings out ;) If that's not the dogs nuts then I don't know what is! It's almost enough for me to consider getting a MBP without HSDPA integrated...