View Full Version : 3 to offer ITV on the go

3GScottishUser
7th August 2006, 01:01 PM
From The Register 07/08/2006:

3 has announced a deal with ITV to offer flagship entertainment channel ITV1 and gaming channel ITV Play via mobile TV.

The deal will enable 3's 3.5m punters to endure top ITV shows like Love Island, Celebrity Wrestling, and swiftly-dumped Pip Scofield-fronted musical tosh It's Now or Never on the move.

3 has scored the rights to ITV for 6 months, beginning this Autumn.

ITV boss Charles Allen pitched in: "We are delighted that we are teaming up with 3 to be the first terrestrial broadcaster in the UK to launch this kind of service. This...makes the ambition of fully streamed mobile TV a reality."

Allen will have plenty of time on his hands to enjoy the Coronation Street omnibus on a two inch screen: it's widely expected he will hand his resignation to the ITV board this evening.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/07/itv_on_3/

getti
7th August 2006, 01:21 PM
My TyTN has just been dispatched. I REALLY hope it works with 3 services so i can get the TV. I will put my hands up that i watch corrie (well with Maria and Sarah in it how can i not) and watching on the mobile would be nice.

Another step forward by 3 when Vodafone and Orange seem to be only heading backwards

3GScottishUser
7th August 2006, 01:42 PM
3 have not announced the pricing details yet so one should not get too excited. 3 have already provided some popular ITV shows as looped video options, this new move is a predictable expansion of what they already offer.

ITV are not the first real time streaming station on a 3G network, I think Sky News on Vodafone was the 1st and was followed by GMTV shortly afterwards.

Rumour has it that Vodafone are finding it difficult to get decent uptake for their 26 channel TV service at £10 a month, so pricing will be the key factor for any new service. Perhaps ITV might be a channel mobile users will pay for? Time will tell.... and no doubt the BBC will provide streams of their channels very shortly.

3g-g
7th August 2006, 01:48 PM
Is it going to be delivered via the terrible mobiTV? Or is it browser based? Or is it a Three shortdial? Either way I think ITV is a poor channel at the best of times, I'd rather poke sticks in my eyes than watch celebrity pap island.

getti
7th August 2006, 03:49 PM
I cant see it being via vdeo calling. Browser based would be best so EVERYONE can access it rather than just the unlucky few with the 6633,6680 or N70