View Full Version : Network wobbles!

3g-g
11th August 2006, 12:27 AM
I'm really surprised no-one has made any comment on this yet! I don't know if anyone else noticed the other night on their mobiles, mainly O2 and Orange, ( which was another seperate incident in itself!) however, they were unable to make any calls? Signals vanishing? Tripple tone call rejects? Jeez, I couldn't make calls from 5pm 'till about 10! And believe me, it wasn't just London, my sister in Glasgow couldn't make any calls on her O2 mobile... I know at one point BT were quoting 10,000 failed call attenpts per minute, with 3 reporting 3,000 failed per min!

O2’s network in London and the South East had a major wobble today following a fibre break near one of its switching sites in London.

Customers in London and the South East were treated to "now you see 'em, now you don't" signal bars on their handset screens this morning as the O2 network in the region yo-yo-ed.

The operator has now done a temporary workaround which should mean all its customers have full service.

The disruption couldn’t have come at a worse time, with travellers stranded by a terror alert at the UK’s airports piling extra traffic onto the network.

One reader based in Manchester claimed an O2 operator told him the network was performing "selective disablements”.

An O2 spokesman said the problems are down to a trio of breaks in BT fibres near one of the firm’s sites in Leytonstone, London. Repairing the cables is a delicate job, he said, but the firm hoped to have a better idea later today of when the cables would be repaired.

In the meantime, he said, the company had temporarily rerouted traffic, and all customers should now have full service.

He added that O2’s network issues were totally unconnected to the terror alert which has effectively put air travel in the UK on ice.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/10/o2_network_wobble/

timothythetim
11th August 2006, 08:44 AM
Hmmm, my Orange N80 had been playing up yesterday, although it had also been doing it the day before.
I took three or four attempts to make a call (I kept getting connection error) and most incoming calls got diverted to voicemaill.
I thought my phone was goosed, but do you think it could be Orange being a bit rubbish?

Ben
11th August 2006, 10:12 AM
My Orange phone has been playing up, but I've been so busy that all I had time for was a quick rant at CS.

Now I know this figure is probably exaggerated, but a CS agent told me that on the main day of the fault Orange had 40% of their customers all try and ring through to CS. That must've been painful, even at half the number.

3g-g
11th August 2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, they had the same problem as O2, someone managed to break through about 96 fibre cables and almost melted the network! So, although not technically either O2s or Orange's fault, it still makes em look bad!

@NickyColman
11th August 2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah O2 up here in the North East was massively affected too! However, it was only certain O2 mobiles.