View Full Version : easyMobile Cost Calculator - Cheaper maybe?

Hands0n
12th August 2006, 04:14 PM
Look, if you are a PAYG customer and are not yet convinced :) then you could do worse than check out your regular usage against what it could be with an easyMobile SIM in your handset here (https://www.easymobile.com/selfcare/emcontent/services/cost_calculator.html).

The same charges apply whether you are using a 2G or 3G handset on easyMobile's network.

For example, I ran a simple comparison for 30 voice mins, 50 SMS (No add-ons or MMS) each month with the following results
easyMobile £5.68
3 WePay £11.45
O2 Talkalot £12.95
Vodafone SmartStep £12.36
Orange Anytime Fixedrates £13.10
T-Mobile Everyone £8.60
Fresh £7.00
M&S £9.50
Virgin £10.95
Tesco Mobile Value £7.00

It is worth including the MVNOs in any comparison you are performing when considering a change of PAYG provider. Don't forget, if you are subsequently happy with the MVNO of your ultimate choice you can always port your number across.

Ben
12th August 2006, 05:31 PM
Wow, that's really rather cheap! It's interesting to see that T-Mobile's own offering doesn't fair too badly, which is what one would expect given that EasyMobile are using their network.

I guess more PAYG users really should look to EasyMobile to fulfill their needs. Some better marketing is needed by EasyMobile to achieve this, though.

solo12002
12th August 2006, 06:38 PM
It may be worth pointing out that on the cost of calls to any netwotk t-mobile I think wins. Easymobile wins (I think solely) due to the fact that SMS ae 5p not 10p on other networks, so I think you have to look at your use before juding also to be aware that easymobile charge you if you dont top or use an amount within a set period.

3GScottishUser
12th August 2006, 07:17 PM
Interesting.... what happened to the Tesco Extra Tariff. 30 X 10p + 50 X 5p = £4.50. You have to buy £10 a month to qualify but one to keep in mind as it apppears to be the cheapest PAYG tariff excluding offers like Vodfone's free weekends, STC and 02's Treats, etc

It just goes to show where the best value is now for low users who dont want the burden of a contract.

Good find.

Hands0n
12th August 2006, 08:07 PM
Agree fully with all of that - Tesco Extra did not show on the calculator, and the only true way of performing a comparison is to pull out your Excel spreadsheet skills. Even then it is easy to gloss over the subtelties of the PAYG tariffs.

I must admit to being somewhat puzzled as to what to suggest exactly when asked about PAYG. I tend to point folk towards easyMobile purely as it is so simple to understand - although I do have a bit of a love affair with Vodafone's STC (which they seem to be just about to ruin by charging for it!). easyMobile's flat rate charges for on and off net (notwithstanding their excellent on-net promo running till end 2006) are easy to digest.

These are very interesting times to be buying airtime, either on contract or PAYG. The leap-frogging of the tariffs by the mobile ops and their virtual counterparts makes for compelling viewing!

3GScottishUser
12th August 2006, 09:12 PM
I have to agree - it'll be the MVNO's with their lean operating structure that'll win most of the lower end of the PAYG market. T-Mobile have shifted considerably making calls transparently cheaper at all times. Vodafone, Orange and 02 have decided to stick with the status quo and tack on some freebies with conditions attached. 3 have replaced ThreePay with WePay and have increased call charges by 25% even taking into account the maximum you could earn from inbound calls and texts (50% more excluding any inbound credits)!! (That's 30p a minute for X/Net calls - anytime = 3 X more than Tesco Extra Texts are 2X more also).

I think Tesco Extra have the edge right now for pre-pay users who top-up by at least £10 a month, thereafter its a straight fight between EasyMobile, Tesco Value and Fresh but EasyMobile have free 'lucky days' and other additional incentives that possibly swing it.