View Full Version : Data on ThreePay

peterjnew
14th August 2006, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

I currently run trips back and forth to France using a small Bus Firm I own.I keep my regular customers by offering internet access albeit slowly using an old Nokia 6210 with High Speed Data and i share this over WiFi. I can't really afford a contract at the minute and was wondering if I can get a 3 Datacard and put a 3Pay sim in then get Data. If not I will look at other networks. I can either get a NEC e616 or Nokia 7600 to test it with and temporarily use until I get a datacard.

Any suggestions

Ben
14th August 2006, 01:40 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G!

I don't think Three is the optimal solution for you - all they have for PAYG is Add Mobile Websites and this, afaik, is not a product suitable for use on anything other than the handset screen.

I believe Orange still run their £1/day GPRS tariff on PAYG? It'll only be in the UK I'd imagine, but that's a pretty cheap way to keep your customers happy - especially at 3G speeds where available.

Alternatively, even though it's a contract, you should really consider T-Mobile's Web n Walk Pro (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk_proplans&chosenPricePlan=pmt). With any network, though, watch out for nasty data charges once you're roaming onto a foreign network.

peterjnew
14th August 2006, 02:18 PM
I never switch the internet connection on in France, only until we get to Dover. Oranges £1 a day GPRS is Tempting and I have a spare GPRS Datacard lying about in my draws somewhere, I'll use that until I can get a more cost effective solution.Thanks for your reply.Could I combine my High Speed data and GPRS to sort of make a speedier connection which I could then share.

3g-g
14th August 2006, 02:35 PM
If you're using the 6210 as a dial up modem connected to a laptop then I'm pretty sure you'll only be able to support or provide the one solution, HSCSD on the move is never that good TBH, you're lucky if you get 19.2k while moving, a dedicated GPRS solution would be much better. If you're going to go down the Orange £1 per day all you can eat GPRS I'd recommend getting a 3G data card, from either Orange new, or, onto eBay, where you should be able to pick one up for a few quid. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orange-Mobile-Office-3G-Merlin-U530-data-card-GPRS_W0QQitemZ300016031062QQihZ020QQcategoryZ96912 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I have to say you're WiFi bus sounds a great idea! Give your punters some 3G data speeds all the way down the M20 and they'll be back again and again! :)

peterjnew
14th August 2006, 02:58 PM
Then I shall buy a 3G DataCard then .To eBay.

Hands0n
14th August 2006, 03:19 PM
@peterjnew - Oooooh, ooooh, ..... please do keep us posted on how you get on with this. Like 3g-g I'm intrigued at your offering to your customers. What a delightfully neat idea :)

This is the stuff that 3G is made for. A happy bus load of punters on a day out 't coast :D

For WiFi distribution though ... there is a (I think Linksys) WiFi router that sports a USIM slot and just needs a bit of 240VAC to get it going. An el cheapo 12V inverter should do the job of getting it juiced up. Possibly even the router would take a simpler 12V to whatever the router needs adapter! Then no need for anything else special to get the WiFi operating on the Bus.

Gawd, if the data tariffs became more reasonable we could see a veritable explosion of this kind of use, even on commuter coaches and the like! The enabling technology is pennies, relatively.

Edit: Check these links out for a product http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=129557 or http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=158090 and a review at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/87367/linksys-wirelessg-router-for-3gumts-broadband-wrt54g3g.html

3g-g
14th August 2006, 03:24 PM
If you can get hold one of the Option ones, which is the type in that eBay link (it's not a Merlin one as I have that and it's not the same), all the better. The other Orange office card, the Merlin one had particualry flaky SW in the past. The one in that eBay posting has integrated WiFi too if I'm not mistaken, so if you ever cam across a "free" WiFi spot while on the run to Dover I'm sure your passengers would love the extra boost of speed again!

Another option should the data card search prove fruitless would be a 3G handset and Bluetooth connection to your laptop?

Let us know how you get on! If we ever need a bus to France we'll know where to go! :)

3g-g
14th August 2006, 03:32 PM
For WiFi distribution though ... there is a (I think Linksys) WiFi router that sports a USIM slot and just needs a bit of 240VAC to get it going. An el cheapo 12V inverter should do the job of getting it juiced up. Possibly even the router would take a simpler 12V to whatever the router needs adapter! Then no need for anything else special to get the WiFi operating on the Bus.

Gawd, if the data tariffs became more reasonable we could see a veritable explosion of this kind of use, even on commuter coaches and the like! The enabling technology is pennies, relatively.

Edit: Check these links out for a product http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=129557 or http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=158090 and a review at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/87367/linksys-wirelessg-router-for-3gumts-broadband-wrt54g3g.html

You know when we saw that Linksys 3G router a few weeks ago I couldn't think of a problem that it would be the solution for, and there we go, the problem has come to us! Brilliant!

I have to agree with Hands0n there, apart from the initial outlay for the router and the Vodafone 3G card (and subsequent contract) it's a neat little solution that involves minimum input from yourself! Have you any idea how much data is moved through your mobile connection currently on a monthly basis? You could find it's greatly increased as you up the speeds for your customers.

peterjnew
14th August 2006, 03:33 PM
I've heard of that Linksys router but isnt it only on Vodafone. I do like to stick to Orange, I've been with them for years.Is there a way to unbrand the router, I found an auction on eBay once with somebody trying to sell unbranding.Any Ideas.

Hands0n
14th August 2006, 03:36 PM
I''m not entirely sure that the router is branded to Vodafone per se. Rather that the data card it uses is locked to Vodafone. But that was in the days before the others launched their data cards.

Now don't hold me to this but ........... by my logic any data card should work. But that may just be a leap too far ..... There may be Linksys firmwares for this device that can be used to facilitate using Orange data cards etc...

Perhaps a suggestive eMail to Linksys development labs?

Hands0n
14th August 2006, 03:41 PM
You know when we saw that Linksys 3G router a few weeks ago I couldn't think of a problem that it would be the solution for, and there we go, the problem has come to us! Brilliant!

I have to agree with Hands0n there, apart from the initial outlay for the router and the Vodafone 3G card (and subsequent contract) it's a neat little solution that involves minimum input from yourself! Have you any idea how much data is moved through your mobile connection currently on a monthly basis? You could find it's greatly increased as you up the speeds for your customers.

Let me give you a very common problem that needs a solution. Building Construction!

A few years back I was involved in a major construction project at Canary Wharf. Being in the IT project team we had to deliver early IT into the construction sheds intially and subsequently into the tower block itself. Had this device been about then we would have used it to great effect. As it was, we had the usual nightmares of getting BT lines into the building/s and then getting the repairs done when the construction workers regularly cut through the cables in the risers or across the floors/ceilings. Things only stabilised when we entered Cat B phase and IT fit out began! This device would have been a veritable life-saver!!

Although that said - I have no perspective that this device is being used in such instances still .......... But then again, much of construction (even IT fit out) is still in the dark ages!

peterjnew
14th August 2006, 03:53 PM
Well I shall email Linksys Later but now I must tidy the house as at the moment its not even fit for a pig to live in.

Bonsoir