View Full Version : Mobiles in the clear

3g-g
18th April 2005, 09:42 AM
Reported in the Daily Mirror 12th April.

No link between mobile phone use and cancer was found by a study released yesterday.

Researchers questioned 427 people with brain tumours and 822 healthy volunteers. They found no correlation between the cancer risk and the number of years the two groups had used mobiles, their frequency of use or the length of calls.

Leader Dr Christoffer Johansen, of the Danish Cancer Society in Copenhagen, said results we "in line" with similar large-scale studies.

Jon3G
18th April 2005, 10:45 AM
That will upset the protesters out their

Ben
18th April 2005, 11:20 AM
Mhmm. Heard about this - very encouraging.

Perhaps if we could just get more masts erected in the first place then everything would be able to transmit on a lower power anyway. But then masts is another kettle of fish...

TheBrit
18th April 2005, 12:21 PM
Mast protests are a classic examble of nimby-ism. How many of those protestors own and use mobile phones?

airbus man
18th April 2005, 12:50 PM
I know two people who are against masts in our are, and go on these rallys to protest against them, and both use mobiles on a daily basis, as do their kids, and I guess other family memebers. The main reason behind their protest is too where the mast is going to be.

Jon3G
18th April 2005, 02:44 PM
Its the common thing. We all use power from Power stations, but how many of us would want a power station in our back garden

Ben
18th April 2005, 03:01 PM
If power stations could be neatly integrated into walls, lamp posts and telegraph poles then fine - stick one in my back garden!

Mobile cells can be so discrete if distributed liberally enough. In most cities, towns and even villages I'd imagine there'd be no need for any large cell sites if a high enough level of investment was achieved coupled with cooperation from local authorities.

Orange: You can stick a microcell on my house anytime :)

Jon3G
18th April 2005, 04:08 PM
And in mine

My mate owns a farmhouse near the M1 and he gets about 390 a month for the cell site in his garden

Jon3G
18th April 2005, 04:10 PM
If power stations could be neatly integrated into walls, lamp posts and telegraph poles then fine - stick one in my back garden!

Mobile cells can be so discrete if distributed liberally enough. In most cities, towns and even villages I'd imagine there'd be no need for any large cell sites if a high enough level of investment was achieved coupled with cooperation from local authorities.

Orange: You can stick a microcell on my house anytime :)

I think that many people just object to something just to pass the time. If the people mentioned above really didnt like cell sites they would just stop using mobiles

3GScottishUser
18th April 2005, 05:14 PM
Good news for everyone. Health fears always weigh heavy if technology is tainted by them.

No doubt the debate will continue but the above will come as good news for networks and handset makers alike.

Martin3G
18th April 2005, 08:22 PM
Protestors often seem to forget how many lives are saved due to mobile phones as I imagine a VERY LARGE percentage of emergency calls are made from mobiles.

I recently saw a story on television about a group of people who were stranded many miles offshore in a burning and sinking boat and unfortunately their radio system had also burnt out. Luckily all their lives were saved because one member had a mobile phone in his top pocket and even though they were so far out at sea, he managed to get a signal and call for help :D They were rescued just in time to watch the last of the boat go under.

I've now heard of so many emergency and rescue stories from newspapers and television (e.g. 999 program) involving mobile phones that I believe it's one area that we almost can't do without. In fact if a member of the public was to find themself in an emergency situation, however minor, and couldn't make a call from their mobile phone then they might even assume the network operator as partly responsible :eek:

My point is that the recieved signal stength from both mobile phones and masts are set well below international guidelines and such there is no evidence that the use of mobile phones will cause any adverse affects to health, even in the long term. What we can measure though is the positive side of mobile phones in repect to the health and well being of their users which I'm sure the scaremongers and mast protestors would rather not acknowledge in their endless campaign ;)

Ben
18th April 2005, 09:32 PM
Bravo! Someone get that man a diet coke on me!

3g-g
18th April 2005, 11:53 PM
Quite right, diet cokes all round. I've demonstrated to numerous people who've questioned me about the strength of signals received from mobile masts, showing them the same signal strength received 100m from a mast, and then at 1km from a mast. People in general, and it's not their fault, are very un-aware of what is around them.

I think Martin3G hits on a very direct point, the mast protestors are quick to not acknowledge a study like this, where if they were to maybe understand a little more about the power and workings of the telecommunications network it may set their minds at ease. Don't get me wrong, visually I'd prefer not to have a 120Ft mast in my back garden, however, I'd try and get my cancer causing facts straight before I went shouting about it.

What I find really hard to believe is that fact that no-one seems to complain about electricity pylons... is it just because they've been around for years everyone presumes they are safe? Have you ever stood underneath one? They carry such a high voltage that you can actually hear the air being ionised around the lines... I don't intend to get into any sort of Electro Magnetic Field discussion, as anything electrical emits one, including mobile phones, however, 400,000 volts of national grid and my

Jon3G
19th April 2005, 12:15 AM
Quite right, diet cokes all round. I've demonstrated to numerous people who've questioned me about the strength of signals received from mobile masts, showing them the same signal strength received 100m from a mast, and then at 1km from a mast. People in general, and it's not their fault, are very un-aware of what is around them.

I think Martin3G hits on a very direct point, the mast protestors are quick to not acknowledge a study like this, where if they were to maybe understand a little more about the power and workings of the telecommunications network it may set their minds at ease. Don't get me wrong, visually I'd prefer not to have a 120Ft mast in my back garden, however, I'd try and get my cancer causing facts straight before I went shouting about it.

What I find really hard to believe is that fact that no-one seems to complain about electricity pylons... is it just because they've been around for years everyone presumes they are safe? Have you ever stood underneath one? They carry such a high voltage that you can actually hear the air being ionised around the lines... I don't intend to get into any sort of Electro Magnetic Field discussion, as anything electrical emits one, including mobile phones, however, 400,000 volts of national grid and my
I often hear that noise when I playing golf. I dont we hear about anyone protesting over a pylon

Ben
19th April 2005, 01:14 AM
Amazingly, 3g-g, the pylon analogy was exactly what I was thinking of today as I drove under one and my radio died in a sea of interference! There was a big scare about pylons some years ago and their cancer causing effects, but sight of that seems to have been lost now. Mobile masts are being actively constructed and I guess that just makes them an easy target. Perhaps one day a mast-opposed figure will register and enlighten us as to their logic.

Jon3G
19th April 2005, 09:32 AM
Is their one here? :D