View Full Version : Cheapie 3G phone from O2

Ben
18th August 2006, 03:07 PM
The Register (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/16/o2_preps_ice/) have an article about the O2 Ice 3G handset. It's basic and the plan seems to be to lure consumers to 3G's money-making (for the op) benefits while keeping things simple and affordable.

Of course, there have been plenty of cheap NEC 3G handsets that did not manage to succeed at this goal. Lets hope Ice is a different calibre of handset.

getti
18th August 2006, 08:48 PM
I was invited to the O2 Party which i think was yesterday to have cocktails and be with a group of reporters and O2 boffs. This was one phone that was mentioned to me and have been told im 1st on the list for a review handset once they become available.

Ben
18th August 2006, 09:35 PM
You're really supposed to accept those invitations, getti ;)

getti
18th August 2006, 09:42 PM
I did let the person i deal with a O2 know that i live out in Torquay which was like 6 hours door to door and i have work commitments. They were fine about it and appreciated letting them know.

They will be telling me when the next launch will be with more time so i can book it off

hecatae
19th August 2006, 12:36 AM
rebranded se k600i?

crowfield99
20th August 2006, 08:27 PM
Guess its a good idea, something plain and simple for people who have never used 3G before to take full advantage of what it offers without it bombarding them with science.

3GScottishUser
27th August 2006, 10:50 AM
It looks a bit like the NEC e343i which was their entry level i-mode pre-pay handset last year (£49.99).

I have not seen significant numbers using those but in stores it looks pretty slim and neat and I notice Amazon sold out of stock fairly swiftly.

There is a big market for 3G products at the lower end of the price scale and I think its good that others are now trying to create demand in the huge pre-pay sector.

:)