View Full Version : Using a 3G Datacard SIM in a handset..

mlusmore
20th August 2006, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I'm a photographer and need to be able to access high speed internet on the road. Everyone at work uses a dell laptop with a 3g datacard but as I like to be difficult I want to continue to use my mac.

I have the use of an ibook and a new macbook both of which are bluetooth enabled however they have no datacard slot. I have read that soon vodafone(and i'm sure others) will be bringing out a 3g usb modem but until then I need to connect.

So the question I am posing is..

Can I take the 3G datacard sim out of the datacard and put it in a 3g phone and connect to it?

I am assuming that it will work but wondered if anyone else had tried?

thanks.
mike.

Ben
20th August 2006, 11:58 AM
Hi mike, welcome to Talk3G.

I haven't tried it either I'm afraid, but I fully anticipate that it will work. Actually, if I remember correctly, when I installed the Mobile Connect software from Vodafone it actually gives the option of setting up connectivity over a datacard or a mobile phone! So that might be the best thing to do. Alternatively you can probably just BT to the phone and dial *99# to get connected.

Let us know how you get on!

3g-g
20th August 2006, 12:44 PM
So the question I am posing is..

Can I take the 3G datacard sim out of the datacard and put it in a 3g phone and connect to it?

I am assuming that it will work but wondered if anyone else had tried?

Mike,

Yes, this should work no problem, the SIM will still be connecting the same way it would in the handset as it would in the data card, I've got my USIM from my Orange MOC in my Sanyo S750 currently which I bluetooth to my laptop for connectivity remotely also. As Ben mentions, set up a Bluetooth connection between handset and Mac, create a dial up using *99# as the dial up number, you should see the phone conncet to 3G GPRS and off you go! I know my friend with a powerbook does this all the time with his 6680.

G.

Hands0n
20th August 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm posting this using a Bluetooth-enabled laptop connecting to the Internet via a Vodafone supplied SonyEricsson W900i and the standard 3G USIM (the same as would be supplied with the 3G datacard).

The only thing to bear in mind with using Bluetooth is that the maximum data rate is 115Kbps regardless of how fast the 3G link is working at - effectively capping the throughput speed. This is not particularly slow (and is certainly faster than would be seen using 2G GPRS) but it is not particularly fast either when accessing particularly heavy-duty websites laden with large amounts of multimedia.

A native USB 3G "dongle" or datacard will allow the full 3G data rate to be allowed with the laptop.

The only remaining issue is that of the Data charges, which can be extortionately high per MByte transferred. But if you're stuck somewhere without a LAN or WiFi connection then really it cannot be beaten for connectivity, if you really need it there and then :)

Now its back to my WiFi link to save heamorraging any more beer vouchers :D

mlusmore
21st August 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies regarding this - i have been a little worried as work really need me to have the 3g connection - and i want to stay with my laptop. I have a few friends who connect to 3g internet via their standard sims i.e. a sim with voice and data capability. But my worry was using the 3g sim from a datacard (i.e. no voice capability) in a handset.
I am thats what 'HandsOn' is using and if so i am much relieved.

As for the 3g dongle you talk of - I have heard of Vodafone bringing one out in the near future - but not seen one that is around at the moment! I am just missing out on a USB 3g dongle??

mike.

bsrjl1
21st August 2006, 10:30 AM
My TM Web N' Walk USIM lives in my unlocked 6680 most of the time, so I can use it with my iBook. It can make voice calls, but they're fairly expensive. In fact all the data sims I've had have been able to make voice calls, good in an emergency.

Hands0n
21st August 2006, 10:32 AM
I do think you stand the best chance of fitting your requirements by using Vodafone - their approach to Internet-enabled handsets has always been very neutral [they don't fiddle with and break the settings].

Vodafone SIMs have been 3G available since the off, requiring Vodafone to only enable that on the SIM (I did this with a PAYT on their network and it took all of 30 minutes to liven up to 3G!).

Cost has always been the issue - but if the firm is funding the airtime then that is the least of your worries.

If you find that the bluetooth speed with the Handset is a bit below what you really want, then you should be able to USB cable-connect the handset and draw down the full 3G speed available at that moment (it will vary). If you can locate MAC drivers for the handset(modem).