View Full Version : turnign 3g off

alison
20th August 2006, 05:01 PM
i have just got this phone and discovered its 3g which i didnt know and dont want as my last one was 3g and caused loads of problems....................does any one know how to turn 3g off???

if i cant three can have the phone back!lol

Ben
20th August 2006, 05:30 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G.

Three is a 3G network. You have* to use 3G if you're using Three.

My advice to you is to see if you have any problems (you probably wont...) and if you do return it within the specified return period.

*Three disables menu's that allow the user to select 2G only mode. While there are unofficial ways around this on some handsets Three may take action against you if they observe prolongued connection on the 2G network when 3G is available.

alison
20th August 2006, 08:54 PM
thanks for that!!!

i have 14 days to decide if i want to keep the phone and im gonna have to think about not going with three!

my last phone had 3g on it and the battery was constantly goin flat and at times i really needed the phone-drove me mad! my friend recomended three to me and i didnt realise it was 3g!!! its a pain in the arse!

Hands0n
20th August 2006, 09:02 PM
Battery life on 3G handsets is improving all of the time - although it is, inevitably, of shorter overall duration than with a 2G handset. What have you found it to be in practice with the V3x?

If you adopt a regime of always recharging your handset overnight you won't go far wrong unless you live on the phone for most of the day :)

3g-g
21st August 2006, 12:59 AM
thanks for that!!!

i have 14 days to decide if i want to keep the phone and im gonna have to think about not going with three!

my last phone had 3g on it and the battery was constantly goin flat and at times i really needed the phone-drove me mad! my friend recomended three to me and i didnt realise it was 3g!!! its a pain in the arse!

What was the last handset you had, and what network were you on? It's sounding like it was one of the others rather than Three! You may find that you were stuck between a weak 3G service area and a stronger 2G one, hence the battery drain! It's a problem that's becoming less of an issue as the networks bolster their 3G coverage. If your v3x has a full / good 3G signal at home, and in most places you visit, you shouldn't have any problems with battery life. :)

alison
21st August 2006, 09:19 PM
my last phone was a samsung with o2-its a pretty good phone and i did kind of like it but the 3g was anightmare and so were o2 customer services!!!!

i charged the battery one evening and by 10 am the next day it was down to one bar and basicaly went flat at a time i really needed it! and o2 were really useless with how they handled it!

anyway since i turned off th e3g it was alot better, and i put it down to it beign 3g so when i realised this new phone has 3g on it i was not impressed as sometimes im out travelling and need the phone with me. but i like this new motorola and three seem to do a good deal so im hopping it will be ok!

oh yeah and next to the battery bar there is a square box with like an arrow and an orange phone symbol with a nu,ber 1? what do these mean???

3g-g
21st August 2006, 10:50 PM
my last phone was a samsung with o2-its a pretty good phone and i did kind of like it but the 3g was anightmare and so were o2 customer services!!!!

i charged the battery one evening and by 10 am the next day it was down to one bar and basicaly went flat at a time i really needed it! and o2 were really useless with how they handled it!

anyway since i turned off th e3g it was alot better, and i put it down to it beign 3g so when i realised this new phone has 3g on it i was not impressed as sometimes im out travelling and need the phone with me. but i like this new motorola and three seem to do a good deal so im hopping it will be ok!

oh yeah and next to the battery bar there is a square box with like an arrow and an orange phone symbol with a nu,ber 1? what do these mean???

I think you'll find that now you've moved to Three your experience of a 3G network will greatly improve (apart from the customer service possibly :( ). Three do have the most expansive UMTS coverage, so issues with battery life shouldn't be a problem, that is unless, where you are at home has a weak 3G signal? As far as the little orange phone symbol and the number 1, I would of thought this is to display line 1 in use. Various networks around the world offer 2 lines on the one handset, and this is possibly one that supports that feature, however it's not one Three implement. As a default the handset probably displays the number 1 refering to your normal contact line, unless anyone with a v3 knows any different?! :p

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 12:04 AM
The orange phone symbol with a number 1 does indeed mean that the handset is working on "Line 1"

You will find the meaning behind all the possible symbols in your V3x guide that would have come with the handset.

m1.carson
24th August 2006, 06:53 AM
Hi Alison

I've just spent the enormous amount of £16-00 GBP on a desk charger and a 1700maH battery for my V3x, both were bought separately off e-bay, ten on the battery including vat/p&p.
No, I can't tell you what the diff. is yet to the BC60 as I'm running the new one flat to give it a full 24hr charge.
3G in a low signal area will drain the battery, as it's continually searching for the best signal, mine is going 2G-2.5G-3G all day on Orange.

Invest in the spare battery and desk charger to give yourself backup.

Max.