View Full Version : Mobile Banner Ads!

Alio
20th August 2006, 11:07 PM
Mobile banner ads are coming to a small screen near you.

There will be no getting away from it.......however what are your views and thoughts on the subject!

Is it a good thing or bad thing?

I'm not talking about sms/mms/wap push style mobile marketing - i,e the type you you sign up for like premium rate content services or have stuff sent to your phone without you requesting it.

I'm talking about ads that get dispalyed to you while you browse mobile pages/sites.

If your not sure what Mobile banner ads are nor how they work......it's like this:

1.You see a banner add image at the top of a page you are viewing on a site page or service you are viewing.
2. The ad image catches your eye, because it may be about something that interests you.
3. You either ignore the ad image at the top of the page and continue browsing around regardless......or.......you freely decide to click on the ad image ........by doing this, you would be taken to a page which would tell you more information about the product/service that is being advertised.
4. Once on the advert page you then have the choice to "freely decide" what action you wish to take i,e. click to call about the product/service directly or have further information sent to you i,e to your phone in the form of mms/text/wap push or email.

In affect mobile banner ads are no different to the banner ads you would see on most normal web sites.

Discuss!

3g-g
21st August 2006, 12:54 AM
If mobile web is to become as popular as sitting at home web then I think there's no getting away from it, as long as it's not every page and taking up so much room that I can't see the information I'm looking for in the first place.

You've got the choice, you decide if you want to "click through", I can't see myself doing it TBH, I don't even click on adverts when on the web proper.

My only dislike to this, as we've discussed previously, is the fact that on Orange (who'll be first to get the ads going) you're being charged for data download on Orange World, and as there'll be more on the screen, text / images etc that means more data transfer, and thus, higher cost to the user, all because Orange are trying to create greater revenues from the advertising. Yes, they will, without even trying! If they make on-portal browsing free then I've no issues with ads, we'll see what the others do once O have this going.

Ben
21st August 2006, 02:09 AM
As previously discussed, a mobile advertising banner arrangement cannot exist until the mobile data model resembles that of the ISP data model we have all grown used to over the years. Users can simply not be expected to pay extra for the advertising banners to be downloaded to handsets.

Part of my job entails banner advertising and while I welcome the format on the small screen the price of data, as with so much, is killing innovation.

Eventually it will be a good thing, allowing many services to be offered for 'free' that are supported by banners, but only when the data model is right.