View Full Version : Nokia Software Updater

bsrjl1
21st August 2006, 10:17 PM
No need to use dodgy versions of Phoenix, the Nokia Software Updater has finally been released:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate

Support for other models will come eventually, but the N70, 6680 & 6630 are the main ones at the moment. Be interested to hear how it works for people, especially those with branded devices?

3g-g
21st August 2006, 11:07 PM
Excellent! Who'll be first to give it a test drive? I might just look out my USB cable and get my old 6680 up-to-date SW wise!

Ben
21st August 2006, 11:21 PM
Oh my god! Is this a joke? Is it April already?

Eh?

Someone wake me up O_o

Edit: Looks like they'll even be adding OTA updates! This is fantastic news for S60 users especially! Faith restored ;) Will try it on my 6680 immediately.

Ben
21st August 2006, 11:53 PM
Done. Faultless and easy. The Nokia Software Updater is a breath of fresh air and will definitely liberate Nokia smartphone users. Who knows, it might even take a big wedge out of the number of returns and repairs over time - that's by no doubt Nokia's intention.

Now, I wonder how well it works with network branded phones?

maxspank
21st August 2006, 11:58 PM
Ooh I hope it Orange HomeScreen off *downloads and crosses fingers*

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 12:54 AM
Just updated my Nokia 6680 branded to 3. Previous firmware was V2.04.15 04-03-05. It is now sporting firmware V4.04.34 12-10-05.

Sadly the 3 branding persists, and I now have that very annoying scrolling banner ads on the bottom of the default screen! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Ben
22nd August 2006, 01:15 AM
AFAIK you can disable the banner somewhere or other. You can on other 3 branded phones.

I'm really glad this works for branded handsets also! That's top notch!

3g-g
22nd August 2006, 01:22 AM
*If only* (get's on knees and prays to some Norse Nokia type God) they would release unbranded software into the public domain as the service centres have, in order that we could make the handsets the way we want and not that of the respective networks! Surely we're one step closer with this though?

Ben
22nd August 2006, 01:47 AM
I'd imagine so, I mean how long can it be before someone, albeit unofficially, manages to get the software updater to install generic updates only? I bet someone'll have a bloomin' good try.

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 07:16 AM
The software updater [at the mo] is a completely automated process - you are not given any opportunity to select software version or type (branded or generic).

A feature like 3g-g is talking about would be great to allow the user to move their handset from network to network. Something that would be essential if there is to be a dismantling of the Subsidised Handset paradigm.

pinky
22nd August 2006, 08:50 AM
Just tried to update my N70 on Vodafone, Phone is now dead. Looks like I got a trip to a service centre now.

whatleydude
22nd August 2006, 10:27 AM
Ouch..

Glad I didnt then!

Ooer..

My N70's currently sporting 5.0616.2.0.3 24-04-06

I dont think I wanna risk it!

Anyone else tried an N70 yet?

bsrjl1
22nd August 2006, 10:31 AM
I think that's the latest version of N70 SW anyway, SW should tell you.

pinky - even SCs had problems updating the early VF N70s :-(

timothythetim
22nd August 2006, 11:09 AM
Do you think some phones are just destined to fail firmware updates?
Using phoenix I updated my 6680 no problem but it killed my N80. I got a new one under warranty though (and then smashed the screen, but that's a different story)

pinky
22nd August 2006, 12:15 PM
OK all, update on my update, phone has just restarted and has updated. Now have V 5.0609.2.0.1 01-03-06 and all seems to be working. I might be a bit cautious about trying again.

a_ukboy
22nd August 2006, 02:08 PM
Ok, i've just done my 6680, all worked perfectly, but its updated it from a generic version to a Three version.. LOL

Also just connected my Three branded N70 but it says no updates available, have i really got the latest Three version? i have v2.0539.1.2 19-10-05 RM-84

Ben
22nd August 2006, 02:13 PM
Ok, i've just done my 6680, all worked perfectly, but its updated it from a generic version to a Three version.. LOL
LoL! Was the handset originally Three branded and then flashed with generic?

a_ukboy
22nd August 2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah it was originally a Three handset..

Ben
22nd August 2006, 02:17 PM
I wonder how the hell the updater knew :\ Curious!

a_ukboy
22nd August 2006, 02:26 PM
So any ideas how you turn the banner off? its not where i thought it would be, in Standy by settings?

3g-g
22nd August 2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah it was originally a Three handset..

Well if it's put the Three SW back onto yours there's no way I'll be attempting to flash my Orange 6680, last think I want is that homscreen back! If it aint broke 'n' all that... :p

bsrjl1
22nd August 2006, 03:55 PM
I wonder how the hell the updater knew :\ Curious!

Because the phone has a product code & an original product code, looks like it uses the later to determine which software is needed.

Ben
22nd August 2006, 04:40 PM
That's really quite interesting. So are handsets, Nokia's anyway, manufactured for specific networks - rather than all being manufactured the same and then just being flashed and badged as appropriate? Or is the 'original product code' simply something that requires something more powerful to change - like Phoenix?

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 07:05 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, that banner is getting right on my *t*s :mad: I seem to remember someone writing about how to get rid of it, but I just cannot find it anywhere!

That Product Code thingy is right dodgy - say they get it wrong, there is no getting the correct firmware on the handset without resorting to Phoenix.

Now all I want is for Nokia to offer a direct BB5 unlocking service, 3's CS have been as useful as a chocolate fireguard to me in this respect. Actually, I do believe that 3's CS have patented the Chocolate Fireguard recently, that and the Chocolate Teapot and the F*rt in a Spacesuit. Unimpressed! I digress.

Definitely a step in the right direction by Nokia, it will probably save them squillions in manually supporting their handset's firmware upgrades. The installer has to be one of the simplest tools I've seen to date for doing such an upgrade. Press button, sit back and drink tea, use phone with new firmware. Luvly jubbly.:cool:

a_ukboy
22nd August 2006, 07:17 PM
To get rid of mine when the banners there, i think the left hand soft key says more, click that and there's an option to disable it, Not sure how to put it back though!!!

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 07:44 PM
To get rid of mine when the banners there, i think the left hand soft key says more, click that and there's an option to disable it, Not sure how to put it back though!!!

Cheers for that - just had a quick look on the 6680 and as you say there it is on the MORE softkey. The sequence I used was; More, Other, Stop Viewer - there is a confirmation screen that says "Are you sure you want to stop Instant Viewer? You may restart the viewer by going to the phone menu and selecting the 3 Viewer icon" And that bit works too! Not that I'll be enabling it anytime soon now.

Its nice to see my own wallpaper back on the handset again.

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 11:31 PM
The following extracted from the Nokia website Software Updater FAQ (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,8764,95600,00.html#top) page. Q.24 provides a fairly definitive answer to any question relating to what firmware you will actually receive through the update process.

24. Can I update my phone with different software?
No, the type of software cannot be changed. If you have operator-specific software, then the update you receive will be for that same operator software.

Neither update over-the-air or via PC can be used to change the operator's firmware version to the generic Nokia firmware version.

25. Do you keep a record of consumers’ download activities?
Nokia keeps a log of all serial numbers that are updated, but this log does not contain any customer or user data.

The Register have a short article on this also - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/22/nokia_firmware_diy/

3g-g
22nd August 2006, 11:49 PM
The Register have a short article on this also - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/22/nokia_firmware_diy/

I like the line:

Carriers like to stuff phones with usability "improvements" - more often impairments - and other cruft.

maxspank
23rd August 2006, 12:48 AM
Wow, I can't believe how easy it is, and the good news is on the latest Orange firmware for the N70 you get the option to switch the orange homescreen off!! I'm so happy!

Ben
23rd August 2006, 02:43 AM
You're kidding me? They finally bowed to public pressure?

solo12002
23rd August 2006, 08:29 AM
Ah

But how good is the site??

I have a N70 unlocked was on o2, the software is :

V.3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

Now I know from Ben's site: www.kingmobilephone.com that he has the following software:

V5.0616.

Funny when i tried the nokia site last night to upgrade Im informed that I have the most up to date software?? mmm I wonder!

Ben
23rd August 2006, 01:09 PM
Now I know from Ben's site:
Just wanted to mention that whoever this person is, they, or the website, bear no relation to me whatsoever.

solo12002
23rd August 2006, 04:52 PM
Sorry Ben.

Good point. the other Ben is the owner of a mobile shop in London.

a_ukboy
24th August 2006, 03:38 PM
Ah

But how good is the site??

I have a N70 unlocked was on o2, the software is :

V.3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

Now I know from Ben's site: www.kingmobilephone.com that he has the following software:

V5.0616.

Funny when i tried the nokia site last night to upgrade Im informed that I have the most up to date software?? mmm I wonder!

That's easy to explain, Kingmobilepones.com has the latest Nokia generic version, where as the Nokia website gives only the operators latest version, so it tells you that you already have the latest o2 N70 software version.

whatleydude
24th August 2006, 06:38 PM
So does it tell you what you should/shouldnt have before it updates?

(am definitely NOT plugging my non-vodafone vodafone phone into it!)

solo12002
24th August 2006, 08:24 PM
So does it tell you what you should/shouldnt have before it updates?

Well it was able to tell me I had RM-84 on it. If that helps

teclo
24th August 2006, 08:34 PM
An hour later and I still haven't been able to upgrade the rom in my N70. The software if crap. If it detects the phone the the device becomes busy, and it can't continue. If the device isn't busy it finds no updates.

When it did eventually find updates, it tried downloading and then stalled half way through the download and after numerous reboots of both phone and laptop I'm not getting anywhere.

sucks

it really does..

Ben
25th August 2006, 04:08 AM
Hmm, mixed experiences I see. I guess having a generic handset I was probably guaranteed one of the smoothest rides. Still, it's early days.

teclo
25th August 2006, 08:03 AM
I should say my N70 is through T-Mobile.

Hands0n
25th August 2006, 09:40 PM
I know of at least one successful update of an N70 on T-Mobile, improvements were apparent.

Hands0n
28th August 2006, 08:49 AM
I should say my N70 is through T-Mobile.

Further to my past post .... hopefully you've seen https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3229

It does sound like some conflict issues with the Nokia PC software - that'd be my guess.

When I did my update on the Nokia 6680 there were a few bumps along the way. What I suggest is that, if you have not already done so, you upgrade Nokia PC Suite to the most current version off the Nokia service site. Install it to the N70 (by making a new connection with it). Then re-install the Nokia Software Updater after that and then try again. There is a tie-up between the two, it seems.

I presume you are running XP Home or XP Pro with Service Pack 2 on your laptop? That could be another area to check.

HTH

Biggy_d
28th August 2006, 04:06 PM
Hmm, mixed experiences I see. I guess having a generic handset I was probably guaranteed one of the smoothest rides. Still, it's early days.

Mine took two atempts because my N70 crashed, i just took da battery out and put it back in and then did it again and it took like 5 mins afta dat, im on T-mobile too.

superfakename
12th September 2006, 06:05 PM
Now updated for E-series

hecatae
12th September 2006, 06:42 PM
updated my e60 yesterday

hecatae
12th September 2006, 10:18 PM
Now updated for E-series

it's killing e70s left right n centre

hecatae
9th November 2007, 10:33 AM
it's been updated, now has software upgrades for e61i and e65, both are 2.0633.65.01