View Full Version : How neat is that then ?????

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 10:27 PM
A mid-teen girly friend of my teen daughter came in tonight with her V3x, and I had my first hands0n one of those particular handsets. I asked politely and she obligingly let me have a fiddle .........with the handset of course!

Jokingly I said that I'd have a peek at her texts while I was playing around with the phone and she sagely informed me that would be impossible as they were secured with a PIN. WTF??!!! Not seen that before...... "Are you sure you can do that?" I enquired .....

Sure enough, the V3x has the ability to secure all of its Applications with a PIN (and better still, unique to each App), and it considers the Text Messaging function as an Application. Hey presto! Secured texts. Blooming marvelous if you ask me. Blooming marvelous even if you didn't ask me!!

Why can't more of the mobiles do this? I think that it is a splendid ability to selectively lock away the handsets various functions under a PIN code.

Do any other handsets offer this feature? Come to that, do any other Motorola handsets do this, as I'm not aware of the V3 or other series (A or E) doing this.

Marvelous :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ben
22nd August 2006, 10:34 PM
As much as I despise the aforementioned handset, the ability to PIN-protect my texts on my Nokia would be welcomed - then I could switch off the security lock code.

lc2407
22nd August 2006, 11:03 PM
My hubby has the V3x, he obviously hasn't figured this out yet!;) And I'm not gonna tell him either!!

Hands0n
22nd August 2006, 11:36 PM
Correction to my original post - the PIN number is common to all of the Apps, its just that you can choose which Apps to apply the security to. Still not a bad idea at all.

3g-g
22nd August 2006, 11:45 PM
Women reading mens text messages, having to install girls toilets, we'll be discussing where we should place furniture and the colour of curtains next! ;)

I've got one of those moto SLVR handsets, and it seems to have the ability to lock applications too! :D

In settings, go to security, scroll down and you should see "Lock Application". It asks for an unlock code, which is set as 1234 as default on mine. Then you're left with all the applications you can use the function with, including SMS, web access, call lists (very handy for if you have a snooping wife! ;)

I suppose a serious application of this would be of you wanted to give your phone to your kid to use, for phone calls only, kinda like a fixed dial thing, except a bit more extensive. The things you learn on T3G eh!?

lc2407
23rd August 2006, 03:43 PM
Are you trying to say I'm a snooping wife??? Aren't we all?!!! No seriously I always look through hubby's phone, theres no malice or suspician though I'm just downright nosy!

Would be great for the kids though as you say, I've just allowed my 10 yr old son to have a mobile, his dad's old one, and got a payg sim, I could really do with a function like that, but not about to splash out on a V3x for him just for that, will have to wait til his dad gets fed up of his!!

maxspank
23rd August 2006, 07:19 PM
My z500 can also lock applications in the same way. It's a good feature but annoying everytine you get a text having to the code in to view it.

Ben
23rd August 2006, 07:23 PM
Mhm good point, I hadn't thought of that!

Alio
23rd August 2006, 11:36 PM
I have a peak into my wife's text messages.......mainly to find out when she's planning her next shopping trip with her mates........oh god looks like another one coming up this weekend......now where can I hide those credit cards this time? :D