View Full Version : WiFi Phones (Skype, Vonage ... etc.)

Hands0n
27th August 2006, 09:19 AM
It has been a little while, and a lot can happen in the few months since all the headlines about the VoIP providers such as Skype and Vonage. A quick Google of such will deliver a large number of these "network providers".

The choice is increasing as VoIP gains more popularity and awareness. The likes of BT are integrating VoIP in WiFi form with their recent mobile offerings. The future is indeed changing, and pressure on the conventional mobile network operators is increasing as once this particular genie is in the public awareness (it is already out of the bottle) they may find a mass defection on their hands. Particularly for SME and SOHO users who's mobility may be limited to within their working premises. These can "fall back" to conventional mobile in the form of a cheapo PAYG from the likes of T-Mobile (12ppm) or easyMobile (15ppm).

Up to now we've been tied to our computers to make practical use of the likes of Skype (I'll stick with that service just for editorial convenience, no recommendation is being made or implied). But of late, the advent of the WiFi Phone changes all of that. The paradigm becomes something that we are all very well used to - the wireless handset (2G, 3G, DECT etc.). And the neat thing is that it is likely to work with whichever VoIP provider you are signed up with (if not now, then in due course no doubt).

A typical state of the art device is evident in the SMC model SMCWSKP100 (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3793) which is described as "The SMC Wi-Fi Phone for Skype", so thats clear enough then.

Among the attributes of the device it is claimed that it has;

* Free calling from anywhere in the world within the Skype network, and cost effective calling to fixed lines or mobile phones using Skype's SkypeIn and SkypeOut services.
* Integrated IEEE 802.11b/g wireless connectivity and an easy to configure, pre-installed, Skype User Interface making for easy configuration and use.
* Quality of Service (QoS) function that prioritizes voice traffic, ensuring good consistent voice quality.

We can reasonably anticipate WiFi handsets to accomodate other VoIP providers such as the Vonage WiFi UTStarcom F1000 (http://www.vonage.co.uk/device.php?type=F1000).

The biggest objection to Skype and others has been the tie-down to the PC. Even the use of PDA applets to facilitate more mobile working have not been taken up, mostly [I suspect] due to the inherent cost of acquiring a suitably WiFi equipped PDA in the first place. But now that the entire shebang is encapsulated in a handset with a familiar (traditional?) style, look and feel, I do believe that a corner is being turned and general public acceptance of these devices may well grow into a groundswell and then explosion in the WiFi enabledhousehold.

Would you buy into this technology as an adjunct or even replacement of your wired telephony?

Ben
29th August 2006, 09:09 PM
I'll be using Vonage for a business installation instead of a conventional BT system.

Adapters are available that allow conventional telephones and fax machines to work flawlessly on VoIP. It's just a case of plugging the conventional items into the Phone Adapter, which in turn connects via Ethernet to the network, and hey presto. Each telephone can then be assigned a line and be managed from a single location - very nifty even if I do say so myself.

Using VoIP infront of a computer or PDA has never appealed to me, but this approach for creating advanced telephone networks with very little outlay while gaining greater control over the system is really interesting.

Where mobile VoIP falls down is poor Wi-Fi coverage. Wi-MAX might just make VoIP, but I don't think 3G or HSDPA, especially given the costs, are going to give it an inch. We can start replacing our fixed lines, however, immediately.

gorilla
1st September 2006, 11:28 AM
I've been waiting patiently for skype to be introduced for S60 phones, specifically the N80 for a while now. It seems with the 'new' Internet version of the N80 that this will come supplied with skype.
Why? Well I've been using voip for a couple of years on and off using both SIP and Skype to make voip calls. I hope to be able to use my N80 to make skype calls at home over my wifi connection, thus saving my inclusive minutes for when I'm out and about. I have a landline, but do not have a phone plugged in as I prefer to give people my mobile number, thus I can be reached at any time (and I'll know who's calling!). I have heard people talk about the networks not being happy about voip, but I'll be paying £30 a month whether I use 1 inclusive minute or 200 inclusive minute. I rarely go over my inclusive bundle, so what they would have is a customer who is paying the same amount, but using their network less. Does this make me a more profitable customer for them?
So to answer the poll question, yes i would buy into wifi telephony.

3GScottishUser
1st September 2006, 12:37 PM
The original Nokia N80 has SIP settings on it already, so i assume you can use the handset with SIP services like VoIPStunt, VoIPCheap etc etc.

Orange now include free calls to 01 and 02 landline numbers off-peak using VoIP through their Livebox, which is also a free broadband wireless router suppled to customers paying over £30 a month on mobile contract deals.

The case for mobile networks becoming more like ISP's (as Arun Sarin CEO of Vodafone has suggested) is becoming compelling. The day when you pay your £30-35 a month and are able to do as you please can't be far off and it makes sense as the example above illustrates. Roll on the day when the flat rate charging arrives.

gorilla
1st September 2006, 01:30 PM
The case for mobile networks becoming more like ISP's (as Arun Sarin CEO of Vodafone has suggested) is becoming compelling. The day when you pay your £30-35 a month and are able to do as you please can't be far off and it makes sense as the example above illustrates. Roll on the day when the flat rate charging arrives.

Here's a quick question for you.
If your mobile network offered you 200 anytime xnet mins, 500 texts and 2gb data every month, for £30 would you ditch your landline?
I know 2gb aint a lot, but for the normal users this might be ideal for them. I'd probably ditch the ladline and kerb my net use, thus saving me BT rental, and ISP rental.