View Full Version : Vodafone Slashes Mobile Bills

3GScottishUser
27th August 2006, 10:41 AM
From The Sunday Times (27/08/2006):

VODAFONE is expected this week to cut the cost of mobile-phone bills with a new contract tariff.

It is understood to have been trying out the tariff in some of its high-street outlets. For higher-spending customers, it is likely to offer savings of 30% to 40% a month.

The tariff is partly a response to the success of Flext from T-Mobile, which has attracted 800,000 customers since its launch in March. But it will also be seen as a recognition by Vodafone of the increasing pressure on prices in the mobile industry.

Flext allows customers to spend their monthly allowance on voice calls, texts or picture messages, adapting automatically to changing usage patterns and thus avoiding the wastage of unused minutes. Vodafone is thought likely to offer a similar package.

Vodafone’s move comes as research from JP Morgan, the investment bank, suggests that the company remains substantially more expensive than its principal competitors. Jeremy Dellis, the JP Morgan analyst, said the worst disparities were in Germany, a key market.

JP Morgan estimates that for higher-spending contract customers Vodafone is more than twice as expensive as E-Plus, a smaller German rival, and 18% more expensive than T-Mobile. Vodafone disputes these figures.

Dellis said the price cuts of 30% to 40% being looked at by Vodafone in the UK were needed just to bring the company into line with T-Mobile, Orange and O2.

He said the UK trials suggested that Vodafone “may now privately acknowledge the magnitude/longevity of industry price deflation ahead. Vodafone’s public view as recently as last month — that rivals would ease back on pricing within 12 months — was undermined by T-Mobile’s decision to pursue price leadership in the German contract (market).”

He added: “Widespread cuts in Vodafone’s European tariffs to levels more in line with (its) peers would significantly dilute growth and margins in our view.”

Fears of gathering price competition have acted as a drag on Vodafone’s share price, which remains only just above 110p despite the company having returned billions of pounds to shareholders.

Some analysts expect mobile companies to face the same collapse in prices for voice calls that has been endured by fixed-line companies such as BT. Despite hopes for 3G “data services”, Vodafone remains heavily dependent on voice calls.

On Friday, Vodafone agreed the £1.4 billion sale of its 25% stake in Proximus, the leading Belgian mobile company. The stake has been bought by Belgacom, which already owned the majority of the business.

Vodafone’s stake in Swisscom is also expected to be sold.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-2330117,00.html

Hands0n
27th August 2006, 11:40 AM
Surely, then, the future has to be in 3G for the mobile network operators (and to hell with us, the Customers) seeing as there is greater capacity on a 3G network vs 2G counterpart. I think that they can afford to do both as they have more then recouped their sunk investments in the 2G infrastructure and need to start making some money on the 3G architecture. With its greater capacity they can accommodate more Customers for a lesser sunk cost - that is, if they can attract more Customers in the first place.

We are all facing higher costs in terms of taxes and expenses courtesy of governments and world affairs. The mobile is somewhere between a luxury and a necessity with food and mortgage/rent coming first. The cost of mobile, if it "suffers" the same fate as landline price deflation will be good for the Customer - and in turn good for the mobile network operator, if they get their sums right and not be greedy.

solo12002
27th August 2006, 12:52 PM
What worries me is we have seen some of the proposals for their new plans on here.

if and I say if theys are correct increasing mins from 275 to 500 for same price is a good thing. however this does not match or evem beat t-mobile flext or three.

And if the aim is to cut costs for high spenders, I love to know how they will save with the x-next calls of 45p and no roll over mins, if the proposed plans we have seen are indeed correct?

The new Proposed priceplans come into action from Sept 1st.

Anytime 75 -> mins stay the same with 100 texts as standard £20

Anytime 125 -> 150 inclusinve mins, 100 texts as standard £25

Anytime 200 -> Mins remain the same, 100 texts as standard £30

Anytime 275 -> 500 inclusinve mins, 100 texts as standard £35

Anytime 350 -> 500 inclusinve mins, 250 texts as standard £40

Anytime 500 -> 800 inclusinve minutes, 250 texts as standard £50

Anytime 700 -> will be withdrawn

Anytime 1000 -> 1200 inclusive minutes, 250 texts as standard £75

Edit: also forgot to mention call charges outside of mins will be increasing (18p for landline/voda to voda, 45p crossnet) and there will be no carry over mins feature. Also changes made to priceplan will take effect from the 1st day of the following months (which will get rid of the current pro-rata confusion)

3GScottishUser
27th August 2006, 05:48 PM
Dont forget the other significant benefits like Stop The Clock and Passport.

STC can make minutes go a long way if you use your phone at night and weekends and Passport is the best roaming deal bar none for travellers.

solo12002
27th August 2006, 06:53 PM
" Dont forget the other significant benefits like Stop The Clock and Passport"

Why dont they just reduce the charges and do away with all this fancy crap

Hands0n
27th August 2006, 07:18 PM
Oh I don't know ..... STC has a certain appeal and it really is a treat, at least psychologically :) It just feels like you're getting something for nothing, rather than paying for each and every single minute. :rolleyes:

Besides which, it is not dissimilar to what the landline folk such as BT, NTL and Telewest are doing with their call timers. For example, I am on a Telewest £25pcm eat all you can - except that they changed things recently :( . Previously I could open a call and keep it for as long as I want. But now they've changed it to only 60 mins at a time, then you've got to hang-up and redial or start paying their normal STD charge!

I'd like to see Vodafone (and the other networks) charges come down significantly also, especially international roaming and data charges. These are doing so slowly, but I do feel that innovative bonuses like STC do have a place in Customer goodwill and feelgood factors.

Alio
27th August 2006, 09:38 PM
Oooow......is it price war time then! :)