View Full Version : 3G Upgrade in Sutton Coldfield

3G_Midlands
30th August 2006, 07:24 PM
Hi to all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I work for T-Mobile in the Midlands area and get lots of news about 3G upgrades (in particular) the Midlands.

Just thought I'd let you all know that, we are planning on doing a 3G upgrade in the town centre of Sutton Coldfield in the next few months.

Hope you find this info of interest.

Ben
30th August 2006, 07:53 PM
Hey, Welcome to Talk3G! :D

It's reassuring to hear T-Mobile are giving some thought to their 3G coverage. Their Flext and Web n Walk tariffs are very attractive, but even in this day and age their coverage reputation is enough to put some people off.

Enjoy the forum!

solo12002
30th August 2006, 08:55 PM
we are planning on doing a 3G upgrade in the town centre of Sutton Coldfield in the next few months.

Dam shame t-mobile cant get their fingers out of ass and do something about the b lack of 3g coverage in NI.

Hands0n
30th August 2006, 09:09 PM
In time 3G coverage will be as ubiquitous as 2G is today. The lack of coverage, or holes, in the network are entirely to be anticipated - although that does not make it any less frustrating for those afflicted.

I must be one of the luckiest so*'s around on Talk3G - I've got solid 3G almost wherever I go in Norf Kent with only a few holes around, and those exist in common for all of the networks at that particular location. Probably Ley Lines or Magnetic Interference, or little green men, that kind of stuff :D

solo12002
30th August 2006, 10:05 PM
" The lack of coverage, or holes, in the network are entirely to be anticipated - although that does not make it any less frustrating for those afflicted"

I aggree but given the fact that three started from dam all they were able to provide 3g in NI quickly. T-Mobile is on the other hand one of the major networks in the UK and maybe the EU and they like o2 cant get it up and running in most of the major towns. shame on the major players.

its no wonder ppl go to three if for no other reason than providing a 3g service.

3G_Midlands
30th August 2006, 10:13 PM
Regarding the holes or lack of coverage, this is being addressed, in the Midlands alone there will be over 350 new sites for 3G.

Unfortunately these sites do not happen over night, because site providers have to be found and leases arranged, not forgetting that it all has to go through the local planning authority.

As for Sutton Coldfield, it is planned that it will be a 2G swap out, so it shouldn't take as long as normal.

Hands0n
30th August 2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info 3G_Midlands - I suppose there are all sorts of good [corporate policy] reasons why not, but a roadmap of 3G rollout published by each mobile network operator would not go amiss. Especially in these days of "freedom of information acts" the expecation is developing among the punter that they want to know, even if it does them bu99er all good :D

I, for one, would love to see more openness and transparency from the mobile operators, voluntary in lieu of regulatory (the latter will likely happen if they don't do it for themselves).

@solo12002 - I reckon that the silver lining in your particular cloud is going to be that you are going to get the latest and greatest ........ when it finally comes :cool: But that you are going to have to suffer the pain of waiting .... and waiting .... and waiting :rolleyes: Just as a matter of interest, and picking up on something 3G_Midlands said, what is the "Resistance" like in your neck of the woods. Those [generally NIMBY] folk who fight against transmitter masts and hug trees for comfort. That will certainly have a bearing on the time it will take for 3G to roll out in NI. IIRC 3 did employ some underhand tactics in getting their 3G out into our green and pleasant land :)

Ben
30th August 2006, 10:33 PM
a 2G swap out
Does that literally mean swapping out 2G kit and replacing it with 3G kit? Or is it an arrangement where 2G and 3G antennae share a mast/site?

solo12002
30th August 2006, 11:55 PM
like anywere else there are a few who would compalint about masks, however when three started the process of seeking planning for thier masks, most of the other networks followed, with some sharing the same masks.

Therefore having to seek planning should not be a issue. in respect of a 2g swap if this is a case of swaping 2g to 3g using masks etc that are in place, why the hell is it taking so long then?

The roll out of 3g is for most of the major players a joke, these are networks with some 20 years of history as networks, yet they have been beaten hand down by the new bee (three). I think if you ask most users on here the two main reasons why they left three were the walled garden (partly removed) and crap CS, not becase of lack of current coverage.

o2 is wasting time, money and manpower with imode.By the time the other networks get thier 3 g networks up and running 4g and more will be rolling out.

Hands0n
30th August 2006, 11:58 PM
. I think if you ask most users on here the two main reasons why they left three were the walled garden (partly removed) and crap CS, not becase of lack of coverage.

*nods solemnly*

3g-g
31st August 2006, 12:09 AM
Does that literally mean swapping out 2G kit and replacing it with 3G kit? Or is it an arrangement where 2G and 3G antennae share a mast/site?

It'll be co-located 2G and 3G, if you removed all the 2G stuff most of the punters would be left with no coverage! Orange have a little space in the side of their roadside cabs for a single cell Node B, and in the main cabs the node B is easily fitted in. If what I've seen of T-Mobile sites before is anything to go by, they'll be co-located, however, I have seen a few "on-their-own" T-Mob Nokia Node Bs in street cabs!

3G_Midlands
31st August 2006, 08:08 AM
With regards to Sutton Coldfield, the site currently has two old antennas where only one feeder from each antenna in use. The plan is to swap both antennas, replace the old 2G antenna with a new Kathrein 2G (which can do the job of the old two) and the replace the other 2G with a new 3G antenna.

Most of the new sites we are dealing with will only be 3G, for example the site on Old Brum road in the Lickley Hills in Birmingham.

As for producing a list of potential sites, then I guess this is something that is unlikely to happen, mainly because they all have been decided yet (especially the 350 that I previously mentioned). Also it would open up more possibilities for people to protest against the sites and I guess another reason is that T-Mobile and other networks can promise that a site will definately go there or not.
(For example we have a site in Birmingham on the 6th planning application because they keep being refused and no comprise or alternative can be found).

3G_Midlands
31st August 2006, 08:15 AM
Therefore having to seek planning should not be a issue. in respect of a 2g swap if this is a case of swaping 2g to 3g using masks etc that are in place, why the hell is it taking so long then?

The main issue here is that most 2G sites in the Midlands and I suspect around the rest of the UK are in appropriate for the use of 3G. Most 2G antennas can be located on the top of blocks of flats and offices, whereas for 3G to be the most effective the antennas shouldn't any more than 15 metres high. Which means in most cases that a new 3G site has to be found, and the whole ADC process can take many months. This is also why most of the upgrades being done are upgrading 3G sites to 2G aswell.

Ben
31st August 2006, 03:53 PM
The mast height thing is very interesting and, I would imagine, a logistical pain in the arse. Surely within the next few years, if not already, we'll be reaching the end of potential 'swap outs' and spend more years waiting for sites to be found and planning permission to be granted on suitable sites for 3G so the networks can fill out their coverage.

shenson
20th September 2006, 01:03 AM
It has been suggested that the 3G coverage maps on T-mobile site aren't up to date.

I'd be interested to know what the coverage is like in North Wales around the Prestatyn area. The maps suggest there is no 3G coverage for all of the North Wales coast, surely not?