View Full Version : Speed up your data connection - (no , REALLY speed it up! )

miffed
1st September 2006, 12:50 PM
I have been having trouble with my T-mobile web & walk data connection for a while now - it has been trudging along at a pityful rate - with websites generally taking upwards of a minute to load :confused:

I then stumble upon this -

http://www.modaco.com/Performance-problems-on-your-Mobile-Internet-connection-Try-thisand33-t244497.html

And voila ! I have a decent connection speed (well , a normal GPRS speed at least - seems to be no difference on 3G ( although TBH I havent tried it out in a decent signal area yet )

So it definately works - and supports the notion that T-mobiles servers are overwhelmed (although this is touted to work on any network !)

I am not techy enough to understand the implications - but people on the linked thread are sure that billing etc won't be affected - I have checked my online bill and all data calls since I switched is showing as "in bundle" - But till someone can verify for sure I thought it was best to not post this in open forum

Personally though - I think if your current data speed is slow , & you CAN change the DNS servers on your device from server assigned to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2 - the I'd at least give it a go - you may be pleasantly surprised ;)

Ben
1st September 2006, 03:43 PM
Changing your DNS servers will only speed the time it takes to first resolve a domain name, ie talk3g.co.uk, to the numeric IP address of the server. Data throughput and continued browsing of the same domain will not be affected.

miffed
1st September 2006, 04:08 PM
I hear what you are saying - but I am seeing an incredible improvement in data speed as well as look up time - is there any explanation for this ? what if there are adverts / links etc on a web page ? would that account for the improvements ? or is it possible that a "clogged" DNS server could actually slow things down ?

The difference in speed (for example) , under "use server assigned DNS "

Enter talk 3G's URL into Pocket IE - (Ignoring the Locating / opening sequence , as this is not relevant - wait for the Downloading bar to open ... )
2kb (stays there for about 9 seconds ) 5kb (another 10 seconds ) 9kb (20 second wait) and so on , taking about a minute (or more) for the page to be rendered and displayed

Whereas - under the new DNS settings

The Locating opening is quicker (as expected) and the loading goes something like
wait 3 seconds , 5kb , 19kb , 34kb PAGE LOADED ! in about 5 seconds !

Not trying to argue with you boss ( :) ) - but the difference is absolutely vast

you obviously have a far better understanding of these thing than I do - is there any explanation for why this would speed up the actual data speed ?

Hands0n
1st September 2006, 06:09 PM
If the cause of your slowness is the [T-Mobile] DNS server being slow/inadequate then it is entirely possible that you'll actually see the delay in getting your web pages while the name resolution occurs. Once it has, though, the DNS servers play absolutely no further part in the process.

It may be that embedded are objects requiring further lookups for other server addresses, and that would compound the slowness issue you refer to.

I've not been on the modaco.com thread yet, but will be interested to read what has been said.

miffed
4th September 2006, 01:30 PM
It may be that embedded are objects requiring further lookups for other server addresses, and that would compound the slowness issue you refer to.

Yeah , this is what I was getting at in my other post -

it must be something ike this , because we are not talking about a slight difference in speed -

The difference it makes (to me , at least) is the difference between un-usable and usable !