View Full Version : Linux Support for LG U880

mtn
1st September 2006, 08:50 PM
I am trying to get my LG U880 working with Ubuntu Linux (Dapper), wondering if anyone has any ideas about this?

Hands0n
1st September 2006, 09:01 PM
Hello mtn and welcome to Talk3G.

We have one or two Linux folk on here occasionally. I don't know enough about the LG support for Linux to comment. However, it is only likely to get support for the U880 if either LG or the Ubuntu (Debian) community have written the specific handlers for it.

I do know that Ubuntu has some USB support and it may well be that it will see your U880 as a Flashdrive, in which case moving files into and out of it will be a snip. But if the U880 needs anything more specific then you are either into writing it yourself (!) or putting it up on the Ubuntu/Debian wishlists.

Sadly all of the mobile phone manufacturers offer full support for Window$ and in some cases Mac OSes, but I've not seen much if any support for Linux in any flavour.

Things may change as Linux permeates the handset OS itself.

mtn
1st September 2006, 09:48 PM
Hi HandsOn,

Thanks for your reply. It does not seem to pop up as a USB device which is a really shame. I have been living without support for it for well over a year so is not that big a problem but I would definitely choose a phone with Linux support in the future. The U880 and an old scanner are the only things I can't get working with Ubuntu 6.06 but as you say things may well change! One guy seems to have got this phone connecting with bluetooth (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=108533) but my pc does not not have bluetooth capability. I might add a request for U880 support to the Ubuntu wish list, and I have written to LG so will see if they get back to me.

Linux is really coming on as a very usable desktop, the only thing holding it back is hardware support but with well over 29 million users out there that has to change...I hope.

Cheers,

Mike