View Full Version : New advert

Yssybyl
4th September 2006, 09:23 AM
Is it just me, or is the new(ish) voda advert (the one that has the guy upside down in a crashed car saying "I want to tell you we're okay") just a little on the sick side? I've not seen this on the TV, only at the cinema as a precursor to an 18 rated film, so not sure if this is widely seen yet. But I was sat there and couldn't believe that VF would go that far. The stop the clock ads were all a bit tongue in cheek but to portray what appeared to be a nasty accident and identify it with a situation where you'd think of the brand? I don't know. A bit much if you ask me. If I was considering a network, then this sort of thing would really put me off...

3g-g
4th September 2006, 11:06 AM
I've not seen it, but perhaps the message you could take from it is not to drive and be on the phone at the same time?! :rolleyes:

I imagine that if it does go mainstream the first comments that'll be made will be along those lines!

Not the best choice of situation for mobile phone / brand recognition I must say!

Ben
4th September 2006, 12:44 PM
I think it sounds pretty powerful, but then Vodafone aren't normally very good at executing emotive ads so it'll all boil down to whether they made a hash of it or not!

Yssybyl
4th September 2006, 12:57 PM
it was part of a whole series of snippets of people in various sintuations turning to camera and saying (there were several, I can only remember these):
"I want to tell you I'm ready to talk about it" (some random bloke)
"I want to tell you I want to have your children" (woman on a sofa)
"I want to tell you we're all okay" (man upside down in crashed car)
fade to vodafone logo "whatever you want to say, make the most of now..." (slightly paraphrased as I was a little taken aback by the logo to really listen...) I'll see if it's available online anywhere and post a link...

whatleydude
4th September 2006, 02:04 PM
I saw that.. dunno if its in poor taste or not.
*shrug*

Think its alright -
Its not an advert telling us about 'making the most of now' - its an advert about vodafone's network being the most reliable.

Ergo - "Be on Vodafone, when the bad/good/crazy stuff happens - you can trust us to be able to put you through"

That is a HUGE paraphrasal..
lol

But you get the idea...
I too saw it at the cinema - given up on TV recently so I couldnt tell you if its hit the small screens yet.

Ben
4th September 2006, 02:21 PM
I had a hunt around Visit4info and youtube and it doesn't appear to have surfaced as of yet. I'd be interested to see it, though, gotta love a bit of advertising controversy.

Yssybyl
4th September 2006, 02:30 PM
Think its alright -
Its not an advert telling us about 'making the most of now' - its an advert about vodafone's network being the most reliable.

quite right about the message behind it, but I still think it's a little in poor taste...

can't find it anywhere online so I guess you'll all have to go to the pictures if you want to see it ;)

solo12002
4th September 2006, 09:53 PM
Maybe its vodafone way of telling us that they are crashing!

Alio
5th September 2006, 02:11 AM
I wonder if you would ring someone up to say you were alright when hanging upside down in a crashed car!........not the first thing that would come to my mind!.........perhaps they were ringing their dad.......... "yep we are ok, but you know you said I shouldn't use my phone while driving......well, errr!

Mabe one of those stupid Orange balloon thingies got free and made the car swerve and crash.......pesky things.......spotted one float by my house the other day:D

I'll stop now:)

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 07:42 AM
I saw it at the flix but it really didn't register until mentioned here :eek: Perhaps I'm that segment of the population that advertising agencies hate, I tend to ignore anything that does not amuse me :p

With regard to poor taste, the theme these days seems to be to try and shock us into doing something they want us to. A bit like the recent and really supidly simplistic road safety ad that has us believe that it is perfectly alright to run into little girls at 30mph! Fact; the first ever UK roadkill of a human was at 4mph! So the message should really be "don't hit people" rather than just cut your speed and hit people slower.

Perhaps T-Mobile have a better campaign, fascinating imagery and a tune I can hum on the way to work to keep me amused :cool:

E616Vboy123
5th September 2006, 08:40 AM
I thought the old three adverts were quite good with the little cartoon pigmees saying "do something on your mobile". Really cheesy but it layed it out plain and simple what planet three offered.
As for the voda advert, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw it but, I guess these things happen and if/when they do you need to make a call off a reliable network. It shows voda arent just bothered about downloads and mega pixel cameras, they encourage you to use you phone for what they were originally designed for: Making important calls.