View Full Version : HSDPA activation

miffed
4th September 2006, 12:31 PM
After many conflicting opinions & having been told by CS that HSDPA is for Datacards only or W & W Pro users only - I finally got a CS rep this morning that agreed to switch on my HSDPA :D :D :D (will be 24hrs before it starts ) ...OK so I told her a little white lie (that I was using a VARIO II & not a SPV 3100 ;) )

Discovered an interesting thing about my plain old 3G coverage too - (kicking myself for not having tried this until now :( )

I have had a 3G device on my 3G enabled sim for a while now - but never got a decent data speed - The 3G network would show three bars of signal - but whenever I used the data connection , it would be no faster than normal GPRS , and would normally switch over to 2.5G after a few minutes

Well ....... in my excitement on getting the m3100 (and looking to see if HSDPA "just worked" anyway , I locked the band settings to 3G -

Voila ! 324kbps on 3 bars of signal - why the hell I didn't try that earlier on my universal :mad: - for some reason , when set on auto , neither my universal or my 3100 consider 3 bars to be a strong enough signal to stay on 3G - so I presume I am in a pretty constant state of switching - hence the slow speeds
Not sure what would cause this perhaps it is because the 3G signal kept dipping or something ?

Anyway , at least now I can just select 3G only whenever I want decent data speeds

Cant wait until my HSPDA cpmes on :) - from what I have read speeds of about 1mbps seem common
Using the M3100 at 324kbps is frankly a pleasure - so 1mbps is going to be amazing for me (keep in mind just over two years ago my Home connection was only 56k !

For me , 3G is just waking up !

Ben
4th September 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey, congratulations! I'm glad you're starting to get somewhere, you were getting a bit of a raw deal before!

miffed
4th September 2006, 12:53 PM
cheers :D - you're telling me mate ! Pretty frustration to have 3G devices in a 3G area and get performance that was WORSE than my old nokia 9210i on standard dial up ! (thats 9.6- 14.4kbps to you youngsters ) :D

Anyway - I got carried away with my ramblings .....

The point was ....

If you are on STANDARD web & walk - you CAN get HSDPA on your account ! - You just need to keep trying & eventually someone will let you have it !

miffed
5th September 2006, 09:21 AM
Hmm ... well , not bad ...

(685 kbps ) ... but nowhere near the 1.8 mbps I was hoping for :(

But then again , for some reason I am only geting one bar of 3G signal anyway today - so I suspect in areas of full signal I'll be cooking on gas :D

TBH this is fast enough really - and the pages are loaded faster than the device can render them anyway , lol , so on the whole I am pretty pleased with HSDPA so far

solo12002
5th September 2006, 07:51 PM
" The point was ....

If you are on STANDARD web & walk - you CAN get HSDPA on your account ! - You just need to keep trying & eventually someone will let you have it "

Now why do we the users have to lack the ass of either a CS Rep or the network to get something that we should be getting in the first place ie a new service?

miffed
5th September 2006, 09:14 PM
" The point was ....

If you are on STANDARD web & walk - you CAN get HSDPA on your account ! - You just need to keep trying & eventually someone will let you have it "

Now why do we the users have to lack the ass of either a CS Rep or the network to get something that we should be getting in the first place ie a new service?

I'd guess the reason for a two tier system would be to encourage people to buy the more expensive "pro" option

This is compounded by the *fact* that as far as some CS reps know , the datacards are the only devices they have that support HSDPA

I think it is 50% red tape and 50% confusion ! :o

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 09:17 PM
LOL - I tried to upgrade to Web N Walk Pro from the Standard version but T-Mobile wouldn't let me change my contract within the first six months even though they were going to get more money for doing so. I did bring this to the CS's attention but got the old "Rules is Rules" response.

lc2407
5th September 2006, 09:57 PM
Okay, the silly woman's here again.........sorry guys but this is all a huge learning curve for me.....can someone explain what HDSPA is?

(by the way, theres psobably gonna be a lot more of these silly questions coming your way soon)
Lou x

Hands0n
5th September 2006, 10:44 PM
HSDPA = High Speed Download Packet Access - colloquially referred to as 3.5G, it is an enhancement to 3G to allow (in theory) download speeds up to 8Mbps. In practise the speeds are significantly less, at the moment at least.

Keep an eye out for HSUPA in 2007 (High Speed Upload Packet Access) promising a higher Uplink [from you to the network].

Ben
6th September 2006, 01:03 AM
You can also think of it as the mechanism by which truly mobile broadband could be possible in the near future.

The competing standard for mobile broadband is called WiMAX. It's probably technically superior, but high rollout costs and delays in sorting out the various standards mean it's probably years away yet.

miffed
6th September 2006, 10:34 AM
Well I like HSPDA ! I think T-mobile have done a terrific job in delivering the goods - 1.8mbps Maximum with a realistic 1 mbps is what they told us ,and that seems EXACTLY what they have given us
I suppose the at the moment things are nice and easy - and I suspect I am practically the only HSDPA user in whichever cell I am in around here , as more devices are launched I suspect thing will clog up a little

But having experienced the birth of 3G as a bit of an anti-climax - I feel the real "revoloution" has just started