View Full Version : P990i takes a hammering

Ben
4th September 2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/04/sony_ericsson_p990i_review/

Scoring just 55%, largely due to stupid bugs, the long-delayed Sony Ericsson P990i is already being billed as a failure. The author of the review has faith that Sony Ericsson will rectify the problems, but regardless of how much work they do I really believe that the market for this handset has somewhat evaporated since it was announced as HTC have taken over (not that their quality is great either).

hecatae
4th September 2006, 09:01 PM
Question is, who is the P990i being made for?

M600i is successfully being taken up by the P910 business customer as a suitable upgrade.

W950 will take the Multimedia customer away.

P990 is being designed for people who need a camera and WIFI, who want to make video calls, and it's that kind of customer that is disappearing fast to the N93.

Alio
4th September 2006, 11:39 PM
The P990i is more for the business user in my eyes.........trouble is it's up against the n93 and it will always loose out on a head to head with the n93 simply besause the n93 is aimed at the mass market of phone users who want more in the way of entertainment/fun type rich multi media requirements.

It's a shame the P990i is being branded a failiar so soon though!

miffed
8th September 2006, 01:28 PM
I feel sorry for the poor old P990i

A lot is expected from it - and giving it a symbian operating system is like tying it's shoelaces together :(

SE should have made the bold step of jumping over WM5 IMO - I think UIQ took symbian as far as it could be taken - and the p910i took UIX to its limitations

(is there any truth to the rumour that Symbian has been bought by Fisher-price ? ) :p

Hands0n
8th September 2006, 06:49 PM
It is a shame really, as SE make some marvelous handsets, and the P990i would be included. But what is it with software QA these days? We're being spoonfed that the OS is so complex that debugging it is hard to do. Well I don't entirely buy that - and even so, they need to get their collective acts together to be more collaborative with the users rather than the adverserial approach of initial denial and spin.

3GScottishUser
10th September 2006, 01:33 PM
The reported bugs are a real turn off but I also feel that the look of this device is somewhat dated now compared to the smartphones now appearing from Nokia, HTC, Qtek and Palm.

Definately not my cup of tea as its about as fashionable as a pair of platform shoes.....remember them?

Hands0n
10th September 2006, 01:37 PM
.... and Loon (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-WHISPERING-KITE-FLARED-TROUSERS-SIZE-26L-LOONS_W0QQitemZ330025358824QQihZ014QQcategoryZ9124 2QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) pants ...... now I would really be giving away my age, if I remembered those, and I'm admitting nothing..........

I do think that the format of the SE P990i has a future in it - after all PDAs have changed little since their inception, there is little to change that would be beneficial in any meaningful way. Change, for change's sake is not a good thing imo.